SONY IER-Z1R
May 27, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #3,031 of 15,275
The Z1R, to me ears, doesn't win in every aspect vs Andro S. Just shows how well the Andro/S punches above its weight class. But if I were forced to pick one to keep around, the Z1R stays. Fortunately I don't have to make that decision.
i was considering noble or CA, but then thought of mr Trump and Huawei and his hate of almost all the world, decided to simply boycott again America and go for another country, despite the good review CFA receives

May 27, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #3,033 of 15,275
i was considering noble or CA, but then thought of mr Trump and Huawei and his hate of almost all the world, decided to simply boycott again America and go for another country, despite the good review CFA receives

That is total BS. You would buy Sony furniture and Sony jeans if they made it.

May 27, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #3,034 of 15,275
May 28, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #3,036 of 15,275
Finally sold my PP8 and bought this. I know their soundsig is both different but holy crap, this is really an upgrade. I never expect anything to improve significantly after the point of diminishing returns.

Any ear tips that I should try? I used the hybrid from Sony and I found it satisfactory, but I'm open to try other things also.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #3,037 of 15,275
After waiting for 14 days it finally arrived :dt880smile:

02D0B291-EFA4-4397-B07C-C1BE57F12452.jpeg

May 28, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #3,038 of 15,275
A couple guys will be angry here. Bu my IER-M9 and Z1R are for sale on the Buy/Sell thread. :)

May 28, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #3,039 of 15,275
Finally sold my PP8 and bought this. I know their soundsig is both different but holy crap, this is really an upgrade. I never expect anything to improve significantly after the point of diminishing returns.

Any ear tips that I should try?
So I compared the Z1R to my PP8 on two different occasions when I went to Japan recently and....now I feel like I must have missed something. Did not sound better to me in any way. Sound signature is different, sure, that's all personal preference, but from a technical standpoint I couldn't really hear any improvements. Comfort was also not nearly as good but maybe that's an unfair comparison since the PP8 is just straight up by far the best fitting universal IEM I have tried so far.
So not trying to say you are wrong (i'm not one one of those kind of head-fi members...), but what do you think makes them so much better?

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Spiral Dot++. Good luck finding some.

May 28, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #3,040 of 15,275
So I compared the Z1R to my PP8 on two different occasions when I went to Japan recently and....now I feel like I must have missed something. Did not sound better to me in any way. Sound signature is different, sure, that's all personal preference, but from a technical standpoint I couldn't really hear any improvements. Comfort was also not nearly as good but maybe that's an unfair comparison since the PP8 is just straight up by far the best fitting universal IEM I have tried so far.
So not trying to say you are wrong (i'm not one one of those kind of head-fi members...), but what do you think makes them so much better?

I'm using wm1a, that might be the reason

Well maybe I'm also bored of pp8 after 2 years but honestly I feel like even thought I lost a some of those super squeaky clean feel, the gain in the low and highs made it up for me.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #3,042 of 15,275
I'm using wm1a, that might be the reason

Well maybe I'm also bored of pp8 after 2 years but honestly I feel like even thought I lost a some of those super squeaky clean feel, the gain in the low and highs made it up for me.
I doubt thats the reason but I'm weird like that.

Gain? What do you mean?
When I was in Tokyo last, the available spiral dot++ did not fit the Z1R nozzle. Don't see any new models out yet.
Oh really? Huh, thought they would fit since I got the Sony hybrids to fit on my Prophile 8 too. Oh well.

May 28, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #3,043 of 15,275
I doubt thats the reason but I'm weird like that.

Gain? What do you mean?

Oh really? Huh, thought they would fit since I got the Sony hybrids to fit on my Prophile 8 too. Oh well.

I mean improvement in how the highs and lows being represented by the IEM. Well, I kinda missed the sound of dynamic driver, I was actually looking at fw10k but I got a good deal for this so I might as well go for it. I'm kinda glad that nowadays manufacturers are racing to make more hybrids that actually sounds better than it's pure bred counterpart.

May 28, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #3,044 of 15,275
A couple guys will be angry here. Bu my IER-M9 and Z1R are for sale on the Buy/Sell thread. :)
I forget who it was, but someone who had the Andromeda S in their avatar promised a report on the z1r vs other popular IEMs he had.
Even if it wasn't you, maybe you could tells us why did you decide letting them go and what are you keeping instead. I doubt it will deter anyone from buying yours. Heck, if you weren't in AU, I might make you an offer. :)

May 28, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #3,045 of 15,275

When I was in Tokyo last, the available spiral dot++ did not fit the Z1R nozzle. Don't see any new models out yet.

The Spiral Dots are my favorite tips for the Andromeda S. When I got a chance to listen to the z1r this weekend, I first tried them with the Spiral Dots. In terms of fit, they fit fine, but I didn't check it too carefully (maybe they are a bit on the loose side). In terms of sound however, the highs just exploded and the z1r sounded too harsh for me. Changed to the Final E tips and the higher end became much more enjoyable. The bore diameter really seems to impact the upper mids and treble presentation. I don't think it's by accident that the tips Sony puts in the package are all narrow bore and I agree with their selection. Basically I wouldn't recommend using the Spiral Dots, unless you really think the treble is too quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back