SONY IER-Z1R
May 27, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #3,017 of 15,297
So I guess you're not afraid it might be placebo anymore, huh? :)

Ok, so it's noticeable, but surely it is not in the realm of 10%. I wouldn't even say there is 10% between something like the Andromeda S and the ier-z1r (that would be the step I'm taking... if Amazon ever gets stock), let alone a couple of very good sources. These numbers are often frivolously thrown around on Head-fi and for someone like @helljudgement, who cannot test things out himself, it can be quite intimidating. People need to recalibrate what 0% means.

Also remember these % figures are meaningless too. How much......what percentage is an apple better than an orange? It’s not.....they are completely subjective in value.

So it depends on what you personally value. That is why some have sold their 1Z and purchased a 1A. They value that tone.

These forums can only go so far. If someone can’t test stuff for themselves then that’s simply a problem. No explainable concepts on-line will help them 100%. This place is only good to get ideas from.

May 27, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #3,018 of 15,297
Seriously, this dude must have like zero experience and he acts like he actually knows something. Funny thing is Redcarmoose lacks experience too. It's a hodgepodge, but I suspect going from the WM1A to the DMP-Z1 might be closer to 50% than 10%. There are people on this forum with considerable experience and if they're going as far as claiming that the price of the DMP-Z1 makes some sense I take notice. Wouldn't shock me if they're wrong as I have had the opposite experiences but I continue to give the benefit of the doubt. Certainly am no candlejack who sounds like he fell here from the wrong part of reddit. Talk about frivolity.

Your right I never heard the DMP-Z1.

Also remember these % figures are meaningless too. How much......what percentage is an apple better than an orange? It’s not.....they are completely subjective in value.

So it depends on what you personally value. That is why some have sold their 1Z and purchased a 1A. They value that tone.

These forums can only go so far. If someone can’t test stuff for themselves then that’s simply a problem. No explainable concepts on-line will help them 100%. This place is only good to get ideas from.

May 27, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #3,019 of 15,297
Seriously, this dude must have like zero experience and he acts like he actually knows something. Funny thing is Redcarmoose lacks experience too. It's a hodgepodge, but I suspect going from the WM1A to the DMP-Z1 might be closer to 50% than 10%. There are people on this forum with considerable experience and if they're going as far as claiming that the price of the DMP-Z1 makes some sense I take notice. Wouldn't shock me if they're wrong as I have had the opposite experiences but I continue to give the benefit of the doubt. Certainly am no candlejack who sounds like he fell here from the wrong part of reddit. Talk about frivolity.

But what separates you and I is I’m all done. I found what I’m looking for.

I’m totally finished buying stuff.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #3,020 of 15,297
So I guess you're not afraid it might be placebo anymore, huh? :)

Ok, so it's noticeable, but surely it is not in the realm of 10%. I wouldn't even say there is 10% between something like the Andromeda S and the ier-z1r (that would be the step I'm taking... if Amazon ever gets stock), let alone a couple of very good sources. These numbers are often frivolously thrown around on Head-fi and for someone like @helljudgement, who cannot test things out himself, it can be quite intimidating. People need to recalibrate what 0% means.
The Z1R, to me ears, doesn't win in every aspect vs Andro S. Just shows how well the Andro/S punches above its weight class. But if I were forced to pick one to keep around, the Z1R stays. Fortunately I don't have to make that decision.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #3,021 of 15,297
We're not talking about apples and oranges here. :wink: It's more akin to apples to apples. There are even different varieties of apples. The total subjectivity is just nonsense talk.

But what separates me and you is I’m all done. I found what I’m looking for.

Well, right, the same way gerelmx1986 thought the IER-Z1R sounds great out of the box with the WM1A on low gain. Then he flips to high gain and it turns out more details appeared, plus he'll experience burn-in effects. I just have what I think are reasonably high standards for the price tags. This is why mere entertainment is claimed to be a hobby, this is a very niche market, and not only are these communities different from one another but are also out of touch with reality. Words and figures are thrown around like we're on a playground. It's strange. I think half or more of the story is how people get here and who they are, same way reddit plebs who thumb their noses at audiophiles probably don't have money or good faith interest to learn anything. People like to talk.

May 27, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #3,022 of 15,297
But what separates you and I is I’m all done. I found what I’m looking for.

I’m totally finished buying stuff.
Unless you're like 75 years old I find this impossible to believe! Even with all the amazing TOTL gear you have, I don't buy it! Haha

I just picked me up a MDR-Z7 from the forums and I'm pumped about that. I tried and returned the Z7M2 just this last winter. To me it was too relaxed and everything sounded too far away. I actually enjoy the 1AM2 more than the Z7M2, which is why I returned the Z7M2 and kept the 1AM2. But reading about the OG Z7, it seems to be more my speed. Even if just the bass is half as good as I've heard people say it is, I should love it.

May 27, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #3,023 of 15,297
We're not talking about apples and oranges here. :wink: It's more akin to apples to apples. There are even different varieties of apples. The total subjectivity is just nonsense talk.

Well, right, the same way gerelmx1986 thought the IER-Z1R sounds great out of the box with the WM1A on low gain. Then he flips to high gain and it turns out more details appeared, plus he'll experience burn-in effects. I just have what I think are reasonably high standards for the price tags. This is why mere entertainment is claimed to be a hobby, this is a very niche market, and not only are these communities different from one another but are also out of touch with reality. Words and figures are thrown around like we're on a playground. It's strange. I think half or more of the story is how people get here and who they are, same way reddit plebs who thumb their noses at audiophiles probably don't have money or good faith interest to learn anything. People like to talk.

I don’t know how old you are but audiophiles have been throwing the extra 10% figure since maybe the mid 1970s.......Maybe the mid 1950s.

It’s not to be taken literally. It’s explains an abstraction. A personal value. And again. It’s as you know also based on someone’s finances and home values. Meaning if an option is too expensive......expectations may not even have you hear it?

The last area is not worth it to some to chase. But for most in the audiophile community........they are able to substantiate a value by hearing key qualities in playback (too themselves). Still it’s personal. It’s not always of value to someone else or noticeable to someone else.

Not all systems do all musical genres. I’ve heard $100,000 jazz playback systems that didn’t seem to do rock well. Maybe that was just me? Again these values are always 100% personal. That’s why it’s always subjective.

You could be at a friends house and he has two different DACs. One is musical and one is very neutral. One person in the room will pick one DAC, and another person will pick a different DAC. That’s why reading a forum online has it’s limits of usefulness.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #3,024 of 15,297
Unless you're like 75 years old I find this impossible to believe! Even with all the amazing TOTL gear you have, I don't buy it! Haha

I just picked me up a MDR-Z7 from the forums and I'm pumped about that. I tried and returned the Z7M2 just this last winter. To me it was too relaxed and everything sounded too far away. I actually enjoy the 1AM2 more than the Z7M2, which is why I returned the Z7M2 and kept the 1AM2. But reading about the OG Z7, it seems to be more my speed. Even if just the bass is half as good as I've heard people say it is, I should love it.

No........I’m all done. I think I’m all done? ........anyway?

I live on a remote island.

I’m 57.

I do have some companies sending me some free gear?

But unless all my stuff breaks.......I’m not buying anything.

Oh........and I have doubles incase stuff breaks.

Enjoy your Z7.

Get the Sony MUC-B20SB1 if your running 4.4mm.

Cheers!

May 27, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #3,026 of 15,297
I think the same as @Redcarmoose I'm done buying for now this seems to be my end game to go setup and home setup with the MDR-Z1R, more because I need to get my Aufenthaltserlaubnis and job in Germany to recover what I lost, getting married is expensive as screw

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #3,027 of 15,297
15589776819873291675853535864489.jpg

Französische Barock Musick (Orgel)

May 27, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #3,028 of 15,297

I agree, but comparing two DAPs is not the same as comparing an apple to an orange, it's like comparing two apples. This apple vs orange illustration is overused. If I was comparing the Sony wm1z to a Nikon D800, then yes, it would be apples and oranges, and even then you could find a way to compare them based on how they rank in their respective classes.

The Z1R, to me ears, doesn't win in every aspect vs Andro S. Just shows how well the Andro/S punches above its weight class. But if I were forced to pick one to keep around, the Z1R stays. Fortunately I don't have to make that decision.
I also thought that the Andromeda S still had some things going for it in this duel, but overall, the z1r has impressed me more. The Andromeda S sounds like a smoother/more polite z1r to me, which in some situations would probably work better.

May 27, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #3,029 of 15,297
May 27, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #3,030 of 15,297
D7171A42-F16A-4315-9061-A5323FABD044.jpeg

I agree, but comparing two DAPs is not the same as comparing an apple to an orange, it's like comparing two apples. This apple vs orange illustration is overused. If I was comparing the Sony wm1z to a Nikon D800, then yes, it would be apples and oranges, and even then you could find a way to compare them based on how they rank in their respective classes.

I also thought that the Andromeda S still had some things going for it in this duel, but overall, the z1r has impressed me more. The Andromeda S sounds like a smoother/more polite z1r to me, which in some situations would probably work better.

Good point. Still even better, how does someone ever place value on if they like green apples or Fuji apples? One is not worth more, just different and it’s one they like.

And that’s my point some folks are going to gravitate towards a more mid-centric tone. The audiophile world has always been this way. You could walk into a room with 10 audiophiles drooling over Quad electrostatic speakers......drooling.....but they don’t sound correct if your more into 12 inch subwoofers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back