SONY IER-Z1R
May 10, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #2,596 of 15,264
That's interesting. I've been told hybrids will just be less coherent. Has the IER-Z1R succeeded? I can't tell.

Wow, this dude is listening to treble with the ZX300 because that's how much emphasis is put on it. He's either listening to ten hours of cymbals or we got diametrically opposed impressions. He's looking for a warm amplifier to tame the IER-Z1R. Play by play commentary here. Apparently the Chord Mojo is the warm remedy portably. He triples down on the brightness by referring to it as such and supporting it with a frequency response graph. Definitely not what I hear. He also regards bass as extremely linear. I'm not sure he's reading the frequency response graph like others would, or perhaps his isn't that accurate? He's impressed by the openness and separation without having proper experience at higher prices. Even as far as absolute impressions are concerned this oversells the soundstage. I definitely disagree on a treble-skewed sound signature. I'd say that's the one thing you don't have to worry about. I recall only one other person claiming these are possibly bright. Maybe crinacle also mentioned that if you're not getting a proper fit the treble might be bright?
Might be a seal issue (less bass, more treble)...?

May 10, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #2,597 of 15,264
Maybe. Speaking of seals, the triple comfort tips sound better for me but wearing them is more challenging. They dislodge and fall out, also feel more uncomfortable. Can't push them in securely. I'm not sure if things sounding muffled sometimes is due to them. Are these foam tips? I read one person mention you're supposed to roll foam tips with your fingers.

May 10, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #2,598 of 15,264
yeah, not sure how he got there. Z1r + ZX300 is like put an old lady to drive an sports car on a track, it will do it, but not using the potential of the car/earphone.

Reading this review, reminded my current gear and old ones. I think a good match for the Z1r would be the X7mkII, it is dead flat dap, leaving all the sound show come from the Z1r that is colourful enough to do it on an enjoyment level. that is basically comparing to my DX7s dac/amp that is also quite flat and the details it brings from the Z1r is good. don't know, I tend to think that as more warmer the source is, warmer the Z1r will be, shading even more it's mids. But we are talking about Sony, they match their gear (at least on the high level ones).

May 10, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #2,599 of 15,264
Maybe. Speaking of seals, the triple comfort tips sound better for me but wearing them is more challenging. They dislodge and fall out, also feel more uncomfortable. Can't push them in securely. I'm not sure if things sounding muffled sometimes is due to them. Are these foam tips? I read one person mention you're supposed to roll foam tips with your fingers.
Definitely, based on personal experience with them. Have you tried to insert them and hold with your fingers on a position you think is ideal for sound and fit? with there you try to find a tip that get close to that position. I had this problem with both M9 and Z1r, they used to pop out. followed a tip of another guy here to keep using it (I basically just took the tips out and started smashing them with the fingers), with time they get more flexible and malleable and the fit gets better, together with the sound. Ended up with the biggest tip possible and seal it with shallow insertion, they hold the earphones from the outside of the ear canal, really confortable.

May 10, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #2,600 of 15,264
That's interesting. I've been told hybrids will just be less coherent. Has the IER-Z1R succeeded? I can't tell.

Wow, this dude is listening to treble with the ZX300 because that's how much emphasis is put on it. He's either listening to ten hours of cymbals or we got diametrically opposed impressions. He's looking for a warm amplifier to tame the IER-Z1R. Play by play commentary here. Apparently the Chord Mojo is the warm remedy portably. He triples down on the brightness by referring to it as such and supporting it with a frequency response graph. Definitely not what I hear. He also regards bass as extremely linear. I'm not sure he's reading the frequency response graph like others would, or perhaps his isn't that accurate? He's impressed by the openness and separation without having proper experience at higher prices. Even as far as absolute impressions are concerned this oversells the soundstage. I definitely disagree on a treble-skewed sound signature. I'd say that's the one thing you don't have to worry about. I recall only one other person claiming these are possibly bright. Maybe crinacle also mentioned that if you're not getting a proper fit the treble might be bright?
Right less coherent unless somehow they learned how to integrate everything? Different technologies all blended up? Three different drivers somehow unified? Maybe so? I think so?

May 10, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #2,601 of 15,264
Right less coherent unless somehow they learned how to integrate everything? Different technologies all blended up? Three different drivers somehow unified? Maybe so? I think so?
I will throw this track here for you guys to try for yourselves.

tidal.com/browse/track/68678745
Herbie Hancock - Ostinato (Suite for Angela)

May 10, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #2,602 of 15,264
Yep, I forgot to mention the paid or goods given reviewers, no judge to them, I would like to get free stuff to write a few words about them, the problem is that if you give bad words normally you don't get free stuff anymore. The balance is quite hard for someone starting in this job. and most of the times I tend to think that's why we only see good reviews around here and everything is the best for something and someone, that's actually true. as we are subjective listeners at some point one of those products will be the best for you. the path to them is a rocky road.

Long live this hobby. :)

I think this is the big elephant in the room on Head-Fi and I tried to start a discussion about it just a few days ago.

yeah, not sure how he got there. Z1r + ZX300 is like put an old lady to drive an sports car on a track, it will do it, but not using the potential of the car/earphone.

What exactly in the zx300 specs makes you say that? Or is it just the price?

May 10, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #2,603 of 15,264
Yep, I forgot to mention the paid or goods given reviewers, no judge to them, I would like to get free stuff to write a few words about them, the problem is that if you give bad words normally you don't get free stuff anymore. The balance is quite hard for someone starting in this job. and most of the times I tend to think that's why we only see good reviews around here and everything is the best for something and someone, that's actually true. as we are subjective listeners at some point one of those products will be the best for you. the path to them is a rocky road.

Long live this hobby. :)

Though in the Fearless and BGVP DM6 and DM7 threads we are witnessing the perfect balance of truth. As Chi-Fi makers have been pushing out models after models, Linsoul gives out the IEMs they sell...............has people only recommending roughly 30% of the output and it all works. As the recommended models get popular, Head-Fi buyers stay away from the non-recommended IEMs. Linsoul sells products, Head-Fi members get recommendations about what is truly good and the Internet works the way it was meant to. After which the owners reinforce their good purchases in the specific thread.

When you read overly positive reviews by one reviewer who get 50 free IEMs a year......the process has no value. If the reviewer does get some truth out; it’s suger-coated and obviously so. Stuff needs to change the way it’s going; but luckily change is in sight!

Edit:

Part of reviewing IEMs is keeping opinions grounded. Meaning, I personally feel every reviewer should keep a case of different IEMs in a range of price points near by for a point of reference. $300 stuff needs to be compared to $100 IEMs and $40 IEMs. This as a concept may be just as valid as side-by-side price-point comparisons. Why.......because price matters, and ability matters. I say this as to be honest....there was a time in my life when all I owned was entry level budget IEMs. I go back to the Piston 3 IEMs and such to try and get a foothold onto this mountain of audiophile sound I’m subjected to. Call it looking down if you will. You’re never going to realize how high you’ve climbed unless you take an educated look down from where your currently standing! This single concept in a nutshell is also responsible for delusional reviews about budget IEMs which really don’t perform like the review states they do. The reviewer in all sincerity is doing the best he can, he just doesn’t have a solid quality point of reference to hold onto.

The issue is you have reviewers with $1000-$3000 IEMs reviewing $1000-$3000 IEMs.

Then you have reviewers who only own $100 IEMs reviewing $100 IEMs.

In this situation most of the time both reviewers will like what they review. It’s not that they are totally dishonest, they just like what they were given.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #2,604 of 15,264
I think this is the big elephant in the room on Head-Fi and I tried to start a discussion about it just a few days ago.

What exactly in the zx300 specs makes you say that? Or is it just the price?
My bad, mixed with the ZX2. Not really bad but outdated.

May 11, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #2,605 of 15,264
Finally got the Z1R after USPS was done fiddle-screwcking it! :)

I may have somewhat unconventional methods for describing first impressions, but what the hell. Right out of the gate, the soundstage is MASSIVE and these expand beyond any IEMs I have ever heard (and I have Tia Fourte, U18T, Legend X, Rhapsodio Eden, Unique Melody Mason, Hyla CE-5, etc.). The placement of the instruments is truly astonishing. Listening to "Change the World" by Eric Clapton exhibits amazing control and accuracy of the song. Sound signature is somewhat neutral, but I wouldn't call it reference. I expected these to have more bass, but they're pretty refined in all respects. Truly awesome, I love them. Powerful, authoritative bass, but not exaggerated or way over-enhanced. Just a shot of caffeine into the lower end. Treble is brilliantly extended, airy, separated from the mids, but not sibilant in the slightest. I love the signature, x 1000.

Fit kind of sucks, they're pretty massive, I find the Final Audio tips work best. The cable is nice, but it keeps popping out from behind my ears. Which leads me to my next point which makes me so mad I want to kill a goat: my MMCX to 2-pin adapters don't work. ARGH! They do not fit into the sockets on these. Which makes me worried for buying a 3rd party cable - will the sockets fit? Damnit Sony, or Damnit Rhapsodio. Why can't a standard be a standard?! The adapters are too large a diameter to fit into the sockets on the Z1R to connect. So, I cannot try any of my 18+ cables I have for two-pin. So, I do not know what to buy for an upgrade cable!

That's it for now. Loving them overall. But the annoyances I listed shift me between being mildy irritated to wanting to sell these and never give Sony another chance. I am so god damned sick of the stupid fit issues and slightly-proprietary (read: fully proprietary) sockets that cannot accept normal MMCX that I may just say piss off to Sony. We shall see. The sound will probably make me keep them.

Cheers,

-Collin-

May 11, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #2,606 of 15,264

I may have somewhat unconventional methods for describing first impressions, but what the hell. Right out of the gate, the soundstage is MASSIVE and these expand beyond any IEMs I have ever heard (and I have Tia Fourte, U18T, Legend X, Rhapsodio Eden, Unique Melody Mason, Hyla CE-5, etc.). The placement of the instruments is truly astonishing. Listening to "Change the World" by Eric Clapton exhibits amazing control and accuracy of the song. Sound signature is somewhat neutral, but I wouldn't call it reference. I expected these to have more bass, but they're pretty refined in all respects. Truly awesome, I love them. Powerful, authoritative bass, but not exaggerated or way over-enhanced. Just a shot of caffeine into the lower end. Treble is brilliantly extended, airy, separated from the mids, but not sibilant in the slightest. I love the signature, x 1000.

Fit kind of sucks, they're pretty massive, I find the Final Audio tips work best. The cable is nice, but it keeps popping out from behind my ears. Which leads me to my next point which makes me so mad I want to kill a goat: my MMCX to 2-pin adapters don't work. ARGH! They do not fit into the sockets on these. Which makes me worried for buying a 3rd party cable - will the sockets fit? Damnit Sony, or Damnit Rhapsodio. Why can't a standard be a standard?! The adapters are too large a diameter to fit into the sockets on the Z1R to connect. So, I cannot try any of my 18+ cables I have for two-pin. So, I do not know what to buy for an upgrade cable!

That's it for now. Loving them overall. But the annoyances I listed shift me between being mildy irritated to wanting to sell these and never give Sony another chance. I am so god damned sick of the stupid fit issues and slightly-proprietary (read: fully proprietary) sockets that cannot accept normal MMCX that I may just say piss off to Sony. We shall see. The sound will probably make me keep them.

Cheers,

-Collin-

Your experience mirrors mine! Easily one of the best sounds I have tried but sadly had to let them go because of fit. If only Sony would make a CIEM version...!

May 11, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #2,607 of 15,264

Cheers,

-Collin-
They are truly an emotional experience at first! Enjoy!

May 11, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #2,608 of 15,264
Your experience mirrors mine! Easily one of the best sounds I have tried but sadly had to let them go because of fit. If only Sony would make a CIEM version...!

Amen to that Dude. Let's get together soon. Next time, beer instead of coffee :)

They are truly an emotional experience at first! Enjoy!

Emotional for sure. Like, in the sense that I want to smash them but also love them :)

-Collin-

May 11, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #2,609 of 15,264
IMG_20190511_130208.jpgLet the games begin!

May 11, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #2,610 of 15,264

Cheers,

-Collin-

I als recieved mine yesterday 10-05 from Amazon here in europe and i completely agree with your first impressions.
Smooth highs with no sibililance at all.
Slightly recessed mids but not as bad as i expected after reading this thread.
The low frequencys are definetly present. It is not a neutral iem but in my opinion it has a nice balance with an enjoyable sound. The more i listen to it the more i can appreciate the sound signature and the details in the sound.

Edit .
And yeah they are huge . A lot of poeple will have issue with the fit i guess.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back