SONY IER-Z1R
May 9, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #2,581 of 15,280
It's worse when some have ulterior motives. Even beyond reviewers, recently one poster suggested that some posters may in essence be working for manufacturers to make their products look good. That would be funny and frankly it wouldn't surprise me though you can only guess. One good thing to do is to ask about a product in the thread of another product (for comparison), get away from a self-selected subset of posters likely to be positive. Of course on the other end you may get another negative sub-set of posters but at least you end up reading things that could give you a more accurate view.

I think I'm at a circumstantial point where I just have to enjoy what I have. Been thinking about the FW10K but selling the IER-Z1R and getting the FW10K is a pain in the ass knowing that I could still end up shooting myself in the foot. No balanced cable, possible bright or harsh sound, possible lack of bass, possibly thin, possibly tame. That one guy who informally reviews many iems (not crinacle) wrote that the FW10K is for people with hearing damage... bah, I'll just post it here as you guys will enjoy it more than the FW10K guys:

Keep the Z1R and buy FW10000. Sell the one you don’t like. Don’t lose sleep over it.

P.S: Point above applies for DX220. Just keep in mind there’s few shills on that thread. However based on my experience owning ZX300 for half a year or so, it’s lower tier player...

May 9, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #2,583 of 15,280
Yea, the ZX300 is a lower tier dap as I experienced, but I was still left with the impression it had better imaging than the DX220. With the IER-Z1R there was a depth and varied positioning that I quite enjoyed. The DX220 doesn't do that, and I'm not inclined to attribute this quality to the heavy middle boost I was using with the ZX300. If it wasn't for the low power output I'd consider returning the DX220 and going for the WM1A. I'm stretching the money I have to the maximum so I can't afford to have multiples or to lose too much money in swapping.

May 10, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #2,584 of 15,280
Still you may find a magic with the 1A and IER-Z1R? I did.

May 10, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #2,585 of 15,280
I found black magic with the ZX300 and IER-Z1R, which I attributed to lack of power output given the positive effect of the cheap Fiio A5 and Magni. Don't have the flexibility to play around too much. If it wasn't for the power the WM1A may have been the first dap I would've gone for.

May 10, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #2,586 of 15,280
I found black magic with the ZX300 and IER-Z1R, which I attributed to lack of power output given the positive effect of the cheap Fiio A5 and Magni. Don't have the flexibility to play around too much. If it wasn't for the power the WM1A may have been the first dap I would've gone for.

I find the 1A has exactly enough power?

May 10, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #2,587 of 15,280
Well, I don't know what to tell you. Someone also found that the ZX300 should be bundled with the IER-Z1R. Like I have to weigh on what basis to make decisions. iBasso is the bee's knees according to a bunch of people.

May 10, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #2,588 of 15,280
Well, I don't know what to tell you. Someone also found that the ZX300 should be bundled with the IER-Z1R. Like I have to weigh on what basis to make decisions. iBasso is the bee's knees according to a bunch of people.
I'm one of those really patient guys (not really), seating down and looking the time pass until Sony kindly return with the Android based DAPs. would love to see an WM1Z with Tidal Offline (and all others). Even the nicely developed AK DAPs doesn't beat the Walkman's.

May 10, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #2,590 of 15,280
If I have the money by the time a successor comes out for the WM1Z I might well buy it.
So a good way to do it, would be get something cheaper for now and save money or by something that you know you can resell it for a reasonable price. Some products are easier and loose less value over time than others.

May 10, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #2,591 of 15,280
May 10, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #2,592 of 15,280
The DX228 is making a case for itself. Not like I was planning to return it (maybe with time I might've gotten solidly disappointed and sold) but it's sounding good right now. These iBassos also tend to be well regarded so resale value should be good. What I did to the resale value of the IER-Z1R, on the other hand... the emoticons on this forum have a very limited range of expression. It's like 8khz-20khz, like one 300khz, and I don't know what beating the dead horse is. Terrible human emotions response. Maybe like two 6khz. It's another bright day on Head-Fi! :beyersmile::L3000::darthsmile::dt880smile::k701smile::ksc75smile::o2smile:

The most expensive iems they've tested this far? Not only is... anyway. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #2,593 of 15,280
The DX228 is making a case for itself. Not like I was planning to return it (maybe with time I might've gotten solidly disappointed and sold) but it's sounding good right now. These iBassos also tend to be well regarded so resale value should be good. What I did to the resale value of the IER-Z1R, on the other hand... the emoticons on this forum have a very limited range of expression. It's like 8khz-20khz, like one 300khz, and I don't know what beating the dead horse is. Terrible human emotions response. Maybe like two 6khz. It's another bright day on Head-Fi! :beyersmile::L3000::darthsmile::dt880smile::k701smile::ksc75smile::o2smile:

The most expensive iems they've tested this far? Not only is... anyway. :smile_phones:
This is a Hobby, so you need to enjoy it. like they say, the path is more important than the end. enjoy the path and findings, but most importantly, enjoy it.

May 10, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #2,594 of 15,280
This was never a hobby to me. Too expensive and passive/inactive. It's entertainment. When you make a hobby out of buying things and listening to music that's a red flag. It's like if women considered shopping and gossiping a hobby. 1950s women. :ksc75smile::beerchug: Gossiping can be as fun as listening to good music.

May 10, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #2,595 of 15,280

In each earplug, there are three full speaker elements: two dynamic, with the largest of 12 millimeters playing bass and mid-range and the other being a super-tweeter allegedly playing harmonics up to 100 kHz. The main edge, on the other hand, is a so-called balanced luminaire, which has the advantage of ultra-low mass and low distortion in this particular frequency register.

The division of the frequency register into several areas has the advantage that each element gets less work tasks and therefore less distortion and better dynamics. The disadvantage may be that the timing between the elements is not 100%. Then the sound image's cohesion collapses and the dynamics are perceived as much flatter. Sony has devoted much effort to adjusting the width and length of the signal path from each element so that all reproduction meets in the mouth exactly at the same time.

That's interesting. I've been told hybrids will just be less coherent. Has the IER-Z1R succeeded? I can't tell.

Wow, this dude is listening to treble with the ZX300 because that's how much emphasis is put on it. He's either listening to ten hours of cymbals or we got diametrically opposed impressions. He's looking for a warm amplifier to tame the IER-Z1R. Play by play commentary here. Apparently the Chord Mojo is the warm remedy portably. He triples down on the brightness by referring to it as such and supporting it with a frequency response graph. Definitely not what I hear. He also regards bass as extremely linear. I'm not sure he's reading the frequency response graph like others would, or perhaps his isn't that accurate? He's impressed by the openness and separation without having proper experience at higher prices. Even as far as absolute impressions are concerned this oversells the soundstage. I definitely disagree on a treble-skewed sound signature. I'd say that's the one thing you don't have to worry about. I recall only one other person claiming these are possibly bright. Maybe crinacle also mentioned that if you're not getting a proper fit the treble might be bright?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back