SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 20, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #2,146 of 15,276
The thing is people disagreed with Crinacle. But this impression is more in line. Female vocals should be ok though not as good as you might get from other iems whereas male vocals can just plain be a problem. Can this just be EQed? I know that the Audeze LCD-X was more or less garbage before Sonarworks EQ which more or less transformed it. My Sony ZX300 does have a 10-band EQ and another method to modify bass, mids, and treble as a whole. On the flipside, I'm skeptical EQ would've brought the lifeless mids of the HD800S on par with the LCD-X (and Sonarworks certainly didn't) whereas technically, even with bass, the LCD-X was a big distance behind the HD800S. Really big area of frustration and disappointment for me, not being able to put qualities in one expensive package.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #2,148 of 15,276
What other bs? I think maybe the most informative way to talk about something is by comparison, and many people come to this from purchasing angles. Of course it doesn't help that currently these are basically unavailable in the West and we don't seem to have a lot of East Asians posting in this thread. If I'm not mistaken there should also be a separate impressions-only thread. Not sure if that has been started or gets created for everything, but I do know the Solaris has one and this is another basically top of the line iem.

Apr 20, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #2,149 of 15,276
...Is the bass of the z1r better than that of the Solaris? Is the z1r relaxed or forward but not over the top? I've heard that the Atlas exaggerates bass basically, but that is what some people want, it represents an extreme. You said earlier that the z1r is supposed to be a good fit with electronic music.

Speaking of Bass alone, The Z1R offers way better Sub bass rumble compared to Solaris. Mid bass is the biggest strength of the Solaris, feels a little forward and better textured. But both are totally different sound signature, cannot be compared.

I apologize to differ in thoughts.With my personal experience, Vega is notorious for overwhelming bass and Atlas is a well sorted and matured version of Vega.

Atlas is a good product overall, with better imaging than that of Vega, creating an unique sound signature for itself. Thats why Campfire offers a custom version of Atlas.

Apr 20, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #2,150 of 15,276
The Solaris sounded both too loose and lacking in punch to me with zero hints of rumble. What are the differences between sub bass and mid bass?

I do have to go back to my experience with full-size headphones for a moment. I wouldn't have had a clue that there are several qualities to bass until I heard the HD800S. The LCD-X is supposed to have exceptional bass yet relatively speaking it's largely this amorphous a little muddy and boomy sound vs the distinctly different sounds I heard within the bass of the HD800S. In essence there was colloquially a little world within bass that the LCD-X didn't seem to be presenting and the HD800S exposed. Any such contrast between the z1r and Solaris? What differences are there in quantity and punch, boom and definition between the z1r and Solaris?

Apr 20, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #2,151 of 15,276
Speaking of Bass alone, The Z1R offers way better Sub bass rumble compared to Solaris. Mid bass is the biggest strength of the Solaris, feels a little forward and better textured. But both are totally different sound signature, cannot be compared.

All the info I've read about the Z1R leads me to think that it's basically a mild V shaped sig with emphasized bass and highs and a (slightly) recessed mid-range, compared to the Solaris where the emphasis is on neutrality and balance-- the bass and rumble is definitely there, it just doesn't jump out at you. The Z1R strikes me as a fun "kick you in the pants" sort of sig whereas the Solaris is a more relaxed "let the music flow over you in its entirety" type...for most of my life I have gone for the former but the Solaris is the first time I've truly fallen in love with the latter. Incidentally I've often heard these two framed as being competitors with one another-- but this is only true in as much as they're both hybrids. Signature wise they're totally different and I'm beginning to suspect perfectly complementary. In fact after I'm done eating ramen for about a year and am in the market for an IEM to complement Solaris the Z1R might be the perfect candidate...provided I have a DAP that can drive it.

Atlas is a good product overall, with better imaging than that of Vega, creating an unique sound signature for itself. Thats why Campfire offers a custom version of Atlas.

Indeed...love the Atlas!

Apr 20, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #2,152 of 15,276
I've seen multiple statements now suggesting that the Z1R is no more forward or in your face than the Solaris. I also don't believe the differences between the two are summarized in one being somewhat v-shaped while the other is balanced. The people at these events could dispense with some of the florid language they are inclined to use and instead compare iems, but alas, that's not the point. You have to try to read the tea leaves they produce.

By the way, has crinacle written an actual review of these yet or do we listen to that guy for the graphs?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #2,153 of 15,276
By the way, has crinacle written an actual review of these yet or do we listen to that guy for the graphs?

Apparently he did a video review...I haven't seen it though.

Apr 20, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #2,154 of 15,276
I've seen it. Eight minutes of not much. Bass great, treble good "yada yada" to use his words if you get a proper fit, mids questionable. Might as well go to the frontpage of his site and try to read too much into the sentence fragments he graces us with.

So the Z1R gets a grade of S= (by the way, I wonder if we'll ever get the One Punch Man of iems), highest one, but is listed toward the bottom of this top tier. The summary states:

Highly defined sound, realistic sub-bass focus and spacious imaging capabilities.

The signature is mild v-shape.

The Solaris gets an A=, which is tier four but there are a lot of tiers and these are still considered some of the best by many. He finds the Andromeda S to be better for whatever reason, getting a grade of S- or tier two.

Coherent and well balanced hybrid though with slight midrange hollowness.

Signature is balanced. So I might piece these two summaries to mean that the Solaris is all-around solid whereas the Z1R is just more advanced or refined (it's ironic how he mentions the mids of the Solaris critically but not of the Z1R). Highly defined sound and spacious imaging capabilities being singled out conveys better technical performance and design to me. Except this is the summary he leaves for the Andromeda S:

Highly coherent, easy-to-love tuning and spacious headstage

I kind of doubt Campfire made the later and more expensive Solaris less coherent with a soundstage we don't need to mention. Did the different treble tunings of the two trick him or give him that impression or sensation? I do know that at the other place we shall not speak of some agree that the Andromeda S sounds better (to them) and single out the effect of an airier treble, whatever that means. I've also seen it mentioned that treble can create the sensation of more space.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #2,155 of 15,276
mids questionable... (it's ironic how he mentions the mids of the Solaris critically but not of the Z1R).

I dunno...he was at the centre of a massive storm of controversy around the Solaris last fall that forum young bucks like myself weren't around to witness. Apparently a hype train was derailed and lots of untoward things were said...I suspect that there is a distinct lack of objectivity at work there stemming from that. He's only human after all. That said I have gathered from numerous people that the mid-range of the Z1R is its most questionable aspect however also that it's "just right" for people who don't mind the mids slightly recessed in favor of emphasized bass and treble. I'm certainly one of those people and will likely have my eye on the Z1R for some time. In some ways the Z1R sounds to me like a more technically capable Atlas where the mids aren't quite as muddied/overwhelmed by the bass.

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #2,156 of 15,276
The Z1R strikes me as a fun "kick you in the pants" sort of sig whereas the Solaris is a more relaxed "let the music flow over you

Actually its the opposite. Like I stated before Z1R is like red wine, while Solaris is like red bull. Z1R is darker and warmer than Solaris, while the latter is brighter and more forward. In fact Solaris can make your heart explode with the enormous detailed presentation, while Z1R should make your heart melt or put you to sleep.

The Solaris sounded both too loose and lacking in punch to me with zero hints of rumble.

Yes sub bass is kind of the only weak point of Solaris and also for some reason the highs dont sparkle as good as the green Andros, even though the BAs for high are claimed to be the same. I am sure that CA would come up with Solaris 2.0, waiting for the same.

So the Z1R gets a grade of S=

The Solaris gets an A=

This the most senseless thing I had ever seen. If you go by this rating and invest on audio gear then you are sure to be 'expensively' dissatisfied. My opinion would be try them out by yourself, IEMs are not like one size fits them all.

For example: I did mention the Z5 was superior to Z1R. Do note that I only had the Z1R over night that was not burnt-in. Z5 used to be my daily driver for 2 years in the past, so my brain is so used to the Z5.

Hence my verdict on Z1R may change given different circumstances (from a different dap to a different mood) and so is the case with everyone and every IEM. Hence rating an IEM would be purely stupid.

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #2,157 of 15,276
Obviously I don't mind a Solaris hype train being derailed. It's a solid iem but it didn't sound as special to me as the price necessitates. If the Z1R turns out to just be a bit of a different flavor of the Solaris I'll probably end up selling and downgrading.

Actually its the opposite. Like I stated before Z1R is like a red wine, while Solaris is like red bull. Z1R is darker and warmer than Solaris, while the latter is brighter and forward. In fact Solaris can make your heart explode with the enormous detailed presentation, while Z1R should make your heart melt or put you to sleep.

I've never felt the inkling to block someone not because I dislike them but because I absolutely detest their impressions. Like with the Z5 I just hope this guy is completely wrong or I'm going to be pretty "displeased". Is it the Solaris that will make your heart explode with the enormous detailed presentation or the cocaine? I am completely at a loss where people come from with their impressions of stuff I've heard. Apparently that Campfire employee who is supposed to have claimed that the ZX300 comes within 5-10% of the WM1Z with the Solaris was misquoted to the tune of an extra 0, if that makes any sense.

This the most senseless thing I had ever seen. If you go by this rating and invest on audio gear then you are sure to be 'expensively' dissatisfied. My opinion would be try them out by yourself, IEMs are not like one size fits them all.

I don't think there's anything senseless at all about placing weight on experienced reviewers, especially those inclined to rate things and to have a critical mindset. I've already tried one out, the other is coming. It's a hassle at the least.

For example: I did mention the Z5 was superior to Z1R.

And I completely do not believe you [to be correct]. I'm also not a big believer in inexplicable subjectivism so at the moment you're an enigma to me.

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #2,158 of 15,276
claimed that the ZX300 comes within 5-10% of the WM1Z .

I think that comment was about the ZX300 and the WM1A...and I've heard a few people say that. I've never heard the 1Z though. That said it's fairly well accepted that once you break the $1000 mark in this hobby the law of diminishing returns kicks in severely and you're left paying more and more $$ for less and less improvements. Unfortunately it's a seller's market for IEMs these days and outlandish prices are just something we all have to accept for the time being.

Apr 20, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #2,159 of 15,276
I've never felt the inkling to block someone not because I dislike them but because I absolutely detest their impressions. Like with the Z5 I just hope this guy is completely wrong or I'm going to be pretty "displeased". Is it the Solaris that will make your heart explode with the enormous detailed presentation or the cocaine?.

1st get them IEMs on your ears and then write or keep littering this space with your ignorant comments.

I was once told never to argue with idiots as they will drag me down to their level and beat me with their experience. Thats why I keep away from conversations in headfi, where a few keyboard warriors rate audio gear based on hear say.

Apr 20, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #2,160 of 15,276
I think that comment was about the ZX300 and the WM1A...and I've heard a few people say that. I've never heard the 1Z though. That said it's fairly well accepted that once you break the $1000 mark in this hobby the law of diminishing returns kicks in severely and you're left paying more and more $$ for less and less improvements. Unfortunately it's a seller's market for IEMs these days and outlandish prices are just something we all have to accept for the time being.

Nope, it was the WM1Z, look it up in the thread. The WM1A is supposed to be indistinguishable from the ZX300 with the Solaris if what I was reading is supposed to be correct. Unfortunately my exchange with Kitechaser pulling these quotes together got deleted but they are in there. As far as the Z1R is concerned I'd expect a bigger difference. Wonder whether the Z1R + ZX300 bundles are Sony's idea or if some sellers are trying to move ZX300 stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back