SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 19, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #2,086 of 15,275
I respect someone who can openly state an IEM they sold is better than the CIEM they kept. That aside, I'm now curious to try Sony's old stuff since I haven't heard the old XBA stuff nor the EX1K which is universally lauded as a classic.

My advice dont even try the pure BA versions of Sony XBA series like the XBA4. Thats where all my internship $$$ went, heck they even stopped working after a period of time.

But ofcourse the EX1000 is best analytical IEM I ever heard along with Solaris. EX1000 honestly deserve a place in anyones IEM collection, given the price.

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #2,087 of 15,275
I looked at the Z5 when I was researching IEMs...it seems like a basshead IEM a la the Campfire Atlas I used to own and the fit seems absolutely bizarre. That seems to be a common thing with Sony IEMs.

O oh, what's bizarre about the fit? Man, this thread has gotten more riveting than the Book of Revelation. The Solaris was something pimp-daddy Frankenstein would own, granted the sun is shining just the right way or you're chilling inside Scrooge McDuck's vault.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #2,088 of 15,275
I looked at the Z5 when I was researching IEMs...it seems like a basshead IEM a la the Campfire Atlas I used to own and the fit seems absolutely bizarre. That seems to be a common thing with Sony IEMs.
Atlas is 400 usd. I edit it cause the mods will get upset.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #2,089 of 15,275
O oh, what's bizarre about the fit? Man, this thread has gotten more riveting than the Book of Revelation. The Solaris was something pimp-daddy Frankenstein would own, granted the sun is shining just the right way or you're chilling inside Scrooge McDuck's vault.

It looks like this:
Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 9.14.22 PM.png

And the pics I saw made it looks like it's just meant to stick out of your ears now matter how big they are. The Solaris is perfect for me fit-wise because I have big ears and they sit flush witihin them. The ex1000 similarly looked like it had a bizarre fit.

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #2,092 of 15,275
This is too much fun. So in your words the Z5 was wonderful, the Atlas is crap, and the Z1R is a $600 iem? Can you describe their sound, directly or indirectly comparing and contrasting, in such a way as to make sense of these claims?
If I said it, its from my experience. Theres a big difference bwtween reading about things and you using it. Theres also a difference between you sitting alone in a quiet room all day listening to music while on the internet than you outside walking through crowded streets or you relaxing on the beach.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #2,093 of 15,275
It looks like this:

And the pics I saw made it looks like it's just meant to stick out of your ears now matter how big they are. The Solaris is perfect for me fit-wise because I have big ears and they sit flush witihin them. The ex1000 similarly looked like it had a bizarre fit.

Yea, I am a bit concerned as the Z1R is supposed to be bigger and heavier. I thought it was a minor miracle the Solaris stood fine in my ears despite how it looked and how random inserting it seemed to be. At the moment I'm inclined to believe Sony didn't make the Z1R an [Asian] ogre exclusive.

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #2,095 of 15,275
The Z1R is big/heavy, but the shape itself should work with most ears.

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #2,097 of 15,275
It looks like this:

No surprise, Sony engineers went high on *%÷×+ celebrating the SQ of the EX1000/Z5 before finalizing the fit. I myself push them back into position quite often. The Z1R fit is perfect, just like Solaris, they are heavy and weirdly shaped but you forget them after you get the right fit.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #2,098 of 15,275
This is too much fun. So in your words the Z5 was wonderful, the Atlas is crap, and the Z1R is a $600 iem? Can you describe their sound, directly or indirectly comparing and contrasting, in such a way as to make sense of these claims?
A $600 usd iem can be a great iem. So yes with enough power, a neutral dac the Z5 can do all that is desired. The 1R is a nice iem but I heard and had better sounding iems. The Atlas has bass but mids and treble are the issue.

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #2,099 of 15,275
So I was reading the Qdc thread (Chinese high performance iems) and saw that the Z1R is supposed to be sort of an aggressive or direct iem. The Solaris was mentioned as such an iem too. The Z1R is also supposed to be fun and musical which I'll choose to believe is because of exceptional bass rather than painful treble. Add a soundstage and imaging that are supposed to be good, this Z5 nonsense aside, and notable clarity and where is the downside or inadequacy? A lot of people seem to disagree with crinacle on recessed mids. I have seen multiple people claim the Z1R is just not that good for the price but remarkably I don't recall negative details that explain this position. I don't think the Solaris is good for the price, by the way.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #2,100 of 15,275
So I was reading the Qdc thread (Chinese high performance iems) and saw that the Z1R is supposed to be sort of an aggressive or direct iem. The Solaris was mentioned as such an iem too. The Z1R is also supposed to be fun and musical which I'll choose to believe is because of exceptional bass rather than painful treble. Add a soundstage and imaging that are supposed to be good, this Z5 nonsense aside, and notable clarity and where is the downside or inadequacy? A lot of people seem to disagree with crinacle on recessed mids. I have seen multiple people claim the Z1R is just not that good for the price but remarkably I don't recall negative details that explain this position. I don't think the Solaris is good for the price, by the way.
Thats an opinion, most likely from someone with intentions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back