SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 23, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #1,216 of 15,275
Serial numbers in Korea look like they’re in the 100s?

You don’t need an 8K DMP-Z1 to drive these...

You definitely don't need the DMP-Z1 to drive these, but it sounds fuller, achieving it's full potential, at least for me. IMG_4846.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #1,217 of 15,275
Laughingly and a coincidence I purchased an MMCX Kimber moments before your post. Still it has good reviews, though it’s interesting how many here already prefer the IER-Z1R stock cable.

I do have to say the MUC-B20SB1 (for Sony full-size headphones) ......regardless where it truly is in the Kimber line; continues to impress me?
I've had mine a year and a half, don't like the sound of it, but I like how flexible it is. there were no exact reason for me to purchased it back then, other than it's cheap at USD 70.

Feb 23, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #1,218 of 15,275
I've had mine a year and a half, don't like the sound of it, but I like how flexible it is. there were no exact reason for me to purchased it back then, other than it's cheap at USD 70.

Well, I only paid $116 for a Kimber/Sony MUC M12SB1. And due to reports about the build quality of the MUC M12SB1 MMCX Kimber, I choose the non-Kimber MUC-M12NB1 while looking at them side by side in Japan last year. The non Kimber Sony cable is a nice silver coated copper, but it makes you wonder what a MMCX Kimber pure OFC copper cable can do. So same here, I had no real reason to buy it other than curiosity. Lol.

Feb 23, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #1,219 of 15,275
You definitely don't need the DMP-Z1 to drive these, but it sounds fuller, achieving it's full potential, at least for me.

Personally, I find dap pairings to be horribly overrated. I did most of my listening with a Hugo 2 today (expensive, but also in a very different price tier from the Z1), and that had more than enough oomph for it.

I definitely wouldn't try running the Z1R out of a phone, but beyond that, I'll probably try and see next time (when not everyone is waiting for the Z1R and Rai Penta) how it does with more budget offerings.

Feb 23, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #1,220 of 15,275
Well, I only paid $116 for a Kimber/Sony MUC M12SB1. And due to reports about the build quality of the MUC M12SB1 MMCX Kimber, I choose the non-Kimber MUC-M12NB1 while looking at them side by side in Japan last year. The non Kimber Sony cable is a nice silver coated copper, but it makes you wonder what a MMCX Kimber pure OFC copper cable can do. So same here, I had no real reason to buy it other than curiosity. Lol.
yep, I heard about quality issues, but I don't encounter those problems.

Feb 23, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #1,221 of 15,275
I finally got a chance to try the Z1R today, many stores in Hong Kong have them available.

Anyway, the Z1R is not for me, somehow I can't get the ear piece to stay in my ears, even with various buds and the ear hook isn't helping, but I do like the fit of the M9.

Feb 23, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #1,224 of 15,275
re2000, qdc vx, solars and z1r... Can you give them an order?

Like in terms of sound? I didn't really get to demo them long enough to have a opinion, and I am bias since I own 2 of the 4 iem.

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #1,226 of 15,275
I thought you were interested since the announcement? lol

I was, then when the first impressions came in and with the delay, the price drop and the price bump again... hard to keep interest there

Feb 24, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #1,227 of 15,275
I was, then when the first impressions came in and with the delay, the price drop and the price bump again... hard to keep interest there

I feel the same way. I'll wait for more reviews and hope that I can listen to it if I go to Tokyo this year. I'll likely just put the money towards buying a HMS.

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #1,229 of 15,275
Finally try these today with a sp1000ss, really impressed me in different genres from classical to pop, soundstage is wide and deep, and vocal is incredible, bass is also excellent. Treble is really not an issue here, not too bright nor dark, just the right amount of good smooth treble. It's quite heavy but fit is no problem at least for me. Although they don't sound bad with a poor source but they're definitely not easy to drive, with spkss 3.5 single end I need set the volume to 85, but I feel like the z1r really opens up when I push up the volume to 90-100(mainly bass and soundstage). It's so good !

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #1,230 of 15,275
Finally try these today with a sp1000ss, really impressed me in different genres from classical to pop, soundstage is wide and deep, and vocal is incredible, bass is also excellent. Treble is really not an issue here, not too bright nor dark, just the right amount of good smooth treble. It's quite heavy but fit is no problem at least for me. Although they don't sound bad with a poor source but they're definitely not easy to drive, with spkss 3.5 single end I need set the volume to 85, but I feel like the z1r really opens up when I push up the volume to 90-100(mainly bass and soundstage). It's so good !
Your avatar has a JE, does that mean you have one, any comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back