SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 22, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #1,201 of 15,264
Only 70? Serial number is in 3 digits on some online posts in China. Perhaps some early productions went to other regions as well.

My local Sony Store received no extra units. Sony Japan ships only as many units as pre-ordered.

Yes, most chinese unit's serial# are in the 500s, china is one of the last Asian country to get it, after SG MY and KR?

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #1,203 of 15,264
Numbers are random.

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #1,205 of 15,264
oh... I thought you are in Hongkong... and the number is from 400 to 500+

I thought HK got their z1r before mainland china, it's already sold out on accessory jack and HK price is 50usd cheaper compare to the mainland price due to taxes.

Feb 22, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #1,206 of 15,264
I am in Hong Kong these two weeks on business, went to DMA wanting to listen to the Jomo's Trinnity and ended up taking it home. Really like the electrostatic ethereal flavor. While I was there they have the Z1r demo so I of course jump on it. I did have an audition of the Sony DMP-Z1 at the Sony show room before and although nice didn't wow me especially given the price. A lot of headfiers here have been waiting for the release of the Z1r and also deciding between the Solaris or the Z1r. According to Sato, Sony set out to build the Z1r with the objective of making it as real as it can, Frankly speaking, my expectation was not very high as there were not that many reviews in the wild and no shortage of skeptics in here. As it was near closing time of the store I was only able to listen to it for about 15 minutes but I immediately liked it. I plan on going back to do another longer audition these two days but initial limited audition is very favorable and felt Sony's stated objective has been realized. I mainly listened to several male vocal pieces with my 1Z and find the Z1r to be very very enjoyable and did give you the in vivo experience. I cannot say much about the bass and treble as I did not have enough time to put it through the different venue but the mid is very very good. I immediately feel the sound character is very different from my Solaris, The Solaris is a much brighter sound where as the Z1r is very easy listening with a lot of genuineness. They are apples and oranges and I think the sound character is different enough that you either like one or the other. I ended up wanting to buy one but they are all sold out. I think this may be the only iems that I know that uses a 5 mm DD driver for the treble range (and of course another DD for the bass) very much like many of the full size speakers. I am anxiously waiting to return for another audition. I want to hear whether with the DD treble driver it will mitigate the BA burn out experience of many BA iems. Don't hold me to it but I think the street price that I can get the Z1r is abut $1,600.00 and that is in the neighborhood of the Solaris. The Solaris is nice but I have a subtle sense that the Z1r may have a longer longevity as far as listening goes. Will see. So many new iems on the market to suit anyone listening style, and this Z1r is going to be a very strong contender.

Pardon, where are these USD 1600?

Feb 22, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #1,207 of 15,264
Just a thought on the Sony Kimber cable. It should be noted that the Sony Kimber cable is not even make by Kimber. It is made by Sony with so so copper materials. Sony merely licensed the Kimber's name and the cable weaving pattern. I have listened to them nd they don't sound good compare to the genuine Kimber cable.

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #1,208 of 15,264
Just a thought on the Sony Kimber cable. It should be noted that the Sony Kimber cable is not even make by Kimber. It is made by Sony with so so copper materials. Sony merely licensed the Kimber's name and the cable weaving pattern. I have listened to them nd they don't sound good compare to the genuine Kimber cable.

So it must be a copper not made by Kimber but designed by them? Still as it was developed by them they can put their name on it. Wonder if it’s the same for all the internalized 1Z wiring?

So getting an actual Kimber cable from Kimber would be better? Still the cables are a joint venture and made for the products?

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #1,209 of 15,264
So it must be a copper not made by Kimber but designed by them? Still as it was developed by them they can put their name on it. Wonder if it’s the same for all the internalized 1Z wiring?

So getting an actual Kimber cable from Kimber would be better? Still the cables are a joint venture and made for the products?
The cable is made by kimber kable, but Sony chooses to just the cheaper version of the kimber kable range, and not the top of the range or super expensive one.

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #1,210 of 15,264
Serial numbers in Korea look like they’re in the 100s?

You don’t need an 8K DMP-Z1 to drive these...

Feb 23, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #1,212 of 15,264
Can those who have a pair call out any similarities to other headphones so we may have a point of reference?

Kinda like t8ie mkii but better, it sounds more like a pure DD than a traditional hybrid. Resolution is great but still not as good as some of the muti BA totls, soundstage is prob the best out of all the IEMs excluding the open back ones.

Feb 23, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #1,213 of 15,264
The cable is made by kimber kable, but Sony chooses to just the cheaper version of the kimber kable range, and not the top of the range or super expensive one.

Laughingly and a coincidence I purchased an MMCX Kimber moments before your post. Still it has good reviews, though it’s interesting how many here already prefer the IER-Z1R stock cable.

I do have to say the MUC-B20SB1 (for Sony full-size headphones) ......regardless where it truly is in the Kimber line; continues to impress me?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #1,215 of 15,264
I find Kimber cable soften the sound however guys try the data audio Oslo cable, it reminds me of Pw 1960 but less laid back.

It will be interesting to see if we witness a migration here over to the Axios line by Kimber. The full-size Z1R has handfuls of folks that love it.

Not that I’m educated on the new IER-Z1R cables, but typically Sony has utilized silver plated copper in their included offerings with the full size Z1R and Z7 flagships. Where these enty Kimber are made with OFC copper, no silver as I know of, which does result in slighly less treble bite. But both the Z1R full size and Z7 full size headphones are improved dramatically by how the entry level Sony/Kimber aftermarket cables rework the sound signature. With full size Sony headphones they smooth out the highs, add midrange soundstage and tighten and sculpt the low end. It’s really something for a $300 cable. IMO

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back