SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 8, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #946 of 15,290
I've been planning on buying thie z1R all along, and now will not based on others' initial impressions. I also have the PP8, and the very reason I was interested in the z1R was for the DD bass and a fuller lower midrange.
While I like the PP8, there is something unnatural in the lower midrange. Piano and Tenor Sax lack weight and have an artificial timber. The PP8 has a large enough soundstage, though, and I have a Final D8000 to give me the "home speaker" like experience. And I have Focal Utopia home speakers... I don't need an iem that was someone's pet project to make a large soundstage while sacrificing timber of vocals and acoustic instruments.

I'm bummed. Maybe I just need a Tia Forte. Or perhaps the M9 is the ticket.

If something unnatural in the lower midrange will bug you, the Tia Fourté is something you should steer clear of.

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #947 of 15,290
If something unnatural in the lower midrange will bug you, the Tia Fourté is something you should steer clear of.
Thanks Deezel. I once had a Fourte on loan. With significant Eq on my 1z I was able to get some of the best results I’ve experienced with an iem. From what I’ve heard, the trio might be my answer.

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #948 of 15,290

I heard the Forte too, and while the soundstage was "WOW", the high treble sounded like sharp glass and totally killed it for me.

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #949 of 15,290
I have not heard the IER-Z1R, so in many ways this post could have an intrinsic value less than a discarded piece of gum on the sidewalk?

But I find it incredibly interesting how this talk of mids seems to suggest complete parallelism with all the posts describing both the Z7 flagship and the IEMs inspirational essence; the full-size Z1R. Such attitudes were freely expressed upon release of such Sony headphones almost in pandemic proportion?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #950 of 15,290
I have not heard the IER-Z1R, so in many ways this post could have an intrinsic value less than a discarded piece of gum on the sidewalk?

But I find it incredibly interesting how this talk of mids seems to suggests complete parallelism with all the posts describing both the Z7 flagship and the IEMs inspirational essence; the full-size Z1R. Such attitudes were freely expressed upon release of such Sony headphones almost in pandemic proportion?

I can't stand the Z7 and Z1R headphones, there's just something not right about it for me but somehow I like the IEM.

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #951 of 15,290

But I find it incredibly interesting how this talk of mids seems to suggests complete parallelism with all the posts describing both the Z7 flagship and the IEMs inspirational essence; the full-size Z1R. Such attitudes were freely expressed upon release of such Sony headphones almost in pandemic proportion?

I haven't heard either headphone, but perhaps this repeating trend indicates that it's the house sound Sony wish to move forward with with their higher-end models. For my tastes personally, I would've loved to see them further refine the signatures of the M7 (especially), M9 or the JustEar XJE-MH/WM1 for their flagship IEM.

Feb 9, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #952 of 15,290

But I find it incredibly interesting how this talk of mids seems to suggest complete parallelism with all the posts describing both the Z7 flagship and the IEMs inspirational essence; the full-size Z1R. Such attitudes were freely expressed upon release of such Sony headphones almost in pandemic proportion?

I really wanted to like the full size Z1R, and had planned to purchase it. I requested it at my local shop, and listened to it on three different occasions. They were very emphasized on the bottom and the top. I felt the treble boost was to create an increased sense of air with the goal of trying to make a closed headphone sound like an open open. Unfortunately, this lent a metallic sheen to vocals and Instruments that was unnatural. The bass was prominent and not as controlled as I prefer.
They certainly have their fans, though. The ier z1r does appear to have a similar signature to it’s big brother.

Feb 9, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #953 of 15,290
So here's the thing. The Tia Forte prototype was this extremely natural IEM that had one of the best mids in an IEM ever. Then 64 Audio retuned it using feedback from trade shows. It's now the trash IEM it is today.
I wonder if something similar happened to the Z1R

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #954 of 15,290
I really wanted to like the full size Z1R, and had planned to purchase it. I requested it at my local shop, and listened to it on three different occasions. They were very emphasized on the bottom and the top. I felt the treble boost was to create an increased sense of air with the goal of trying to make a closed headphone sound like an open open. Unfortunately, this lent a metallic sheen to vocals and Instruments that was unnatural. The bass was prominent and not as controlled as I prefer.
They certainly have their fans, though. The ier z1r does appear to have a similar signature to it’s big brother.

The full size Z1R is a small project maybe? Meaning first you get it, then after burn-in and mental-burn-in takes place it’s closer to correct. But it’s a paradigm shift for many to get used to the sound and some just never make the mental cross-over. Adding the Kimber cable seems to do even more correction then matching it with an optimal amp gets it even closer.

Most are stubborn to the point of not believing that such hoops should be a prerequisite for sonic comfort? But in my personal journey I read about the full-size Z1R character, went and listened to it and found it nice. I added the amp and Kimber MUC-B20SB1, did burn in and found it perfect. Obviously we swim in a chaotic ocean of subjectivity.

All of us are striving to reach common ground and a realistic set of ideals across the board. As a group there are many personal sound signatures to cater too. No one headphone is ever going to cater to 100% of the group. It don’t think the Sony house sound is trying to make everyone happy. Their house sound is atypical and even maybe garish if I could so state so? But for those who gell with it it’s a satisfying home. I try to make stuff work, so I will be looking at the Kimber aftermarket cable and Sony DAP to complete the ecosystem. I hate to say it but many have found Sony products to be synergistic to one another; and again this may be the case?

For us believers we think the folks who couldn’t find “their” sound maybe tried to match the wrong equipment together, or had other signatures expected; or both?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #955 of 15,290
The full size Z1R is a small project maybe? Meaning first you get it, then after burn-in and mental-burn-in takes place it’s closer to correct. But it’s a paradigm shift for many to get used to the sound and some just never make the mental cross-over. Adding the Kimber cable seems to do even more correction then matching it with an optimal amp gets it even closer.

Most are stubborn to the point of not believing that such hoops should be a prerequisite for sonic comfort? But in my personal journey I read about the full-size Z1R character, went and listened to it and found it nice. I added the amp and Kimber MUC-B20SB1, did burn in and found it perfect. Obviously we swim in a chaotic ocean of subjectivity.

All of us are striving to reach common ground and a realistic set of ideals across the board. As a group there are many personal sound signatures to cater too. No one headphone is ever going to cater to 100% of the group. It don’t think the Sony house sound is trying to make everyone happy. Their house sound is atypical and even maybe garish if I could so state so? But for those who gell with it it’s a satisfying home. I try to make stuff work, so I will be looking at the Kimber aftermarket cable and Sony DAP to complete the ecosystem. I hate to say it but many have found Sony products to be synergistic to one another; and again this may be the case?

For us believers we think the folks who couldn’t find “their” sound maybe tried to match the wrong equipment together, or had other signatures expected; or both?
The Z1R will have its fans that will find the sound very much to their liking, others will find their preferred sound somewhere else.
This is how it goes, I would take positive and negative reports both with a grain of salt, and reserve judgement till you listen to it yourself. Your own 2 ears are the only ones that matter.
No such thing as a universally beloved iem, it doesn't exist.

And yes, cables, tips, source, synergy can take a sound signature to the next level.
But most are not willing to put the effort into doing that.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #956 of 15,290
Got a chance to try it today using my WM1A from balanced out, went to Singapore Sony flagship store, overall complain is the same. Bass is damn awesome yet it doesn't mess up the highs, I feel percussion just sounds right not too bright just enough shrills but I have complains on the mids being thinner than I would like. Other than that, the soundstage is something that I never felt in another IEM, it's big but it doesn't make it less engaging.

I'm ready to pull the trigger but I would give it more time until Canjam Singapore. This will compliment my PP8 and I might as well stop buying IEM for a much longer period of time than usual.
Would you say the IER-Z1R sounds a bit like the PP8 with both switches on? (With fuller bass and better treble extension)? Because I‘m too a PP8 owner and am searching for a DD IEM with a similar FR and greater soundstage.

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #957 of 15,290
Would you say the IER-Z1R sounds a bit like the PP8 with both switches on? (With fuller bass and better treble extension)? Because I‘m too a PP8 owner and am searching for a DD IEM with a similar FR and greater soundstage.

It's similar in a way that it has that u/v shaped tendency but other than that it's a very different presentation, pp8 is very squeaky clean studio feel meanwhile z1r feels more like a cafe type of environment. The bass in z1r is far superior in all ways than pp8 but for the highs I think is just on the same level, vocal though I prefer pp8 still. I feel this is not an upgrade but a way to compliment your listening experience. Comfort pp8 wins hands down, I think I need to make snuggies for z1r because it's just bulky and awkward on the ear.

Feb 10, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #958 of 15,290
Dropped by Addicted to Audio (Kew Store) to evaluate their demo IER-Z1R yesterday. Listening time was a little over 30 minutes using a NW-WM1A with the MUC-M12SB1 balanced cable and comply tips.

In short those familiar with Sonys current smooth, laid back house sound will be right at home with these. Coherency and refinement across the spectrum is the IER-Z1R's strongest quality. These feel like an evolution of the XBA-H3, XBA-Z5 and MDR-Z1R, but inheriting the positive traits of these past models.

Compared to the XBA series, bass expression appears to have been pulled back to a lower frequency focus resulting in a less flabby mid-bass. It's faster and better behaved (although not as dry and precise as the EX1000) whilst still retaining a satisfying sense of decay and scale. I suspect downsizing to the smaller 13.5mm DD enables this. Vocals are less forward, but not in an negative, unnatural way. Treble extension and detail was impressive, smooth, delicate, and completely siblance-free. Something that hurt the MDR-Z1R's presentation in my opinion.

The sound stage resembles the other Sony IEMs (EX1000, H3, Z5) in terms of projected size. It's difficult to tell if it's larger or smaller given the smoothness of the treble, but it's clear the IER-Z1R does a better job of conveying depth on the Z axis, as opposed to being just wide and flat on say the EX1000s. Scale is more convincing as a result. Sound emanates from surprising positions, which was quite a special experience.

IER-Z1R, MUC-M12SB1.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #959 of 15,290
“This product is also known as the IER-Z1R WW2” lol

B3CAC13C-97E8-494C-BEBB-E5B9E05FE89F.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back