SONY IER-Z1R
Nov 15, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #571 of 15,280
Let's not be to definitive and judgmental, people are entitled to their choices and some multi driver IEM are very good so not every product is to be discarded for jumping on the driver war :p
For example I have enjoyed the U18t when I auditioned it. Now is it worth the price? Only you can decide...

The problem is to maintain coherency within those complex designs.
Simplicity is powerful as some products have reminded us : SE5U, the five driver has won the 17 IEM shootout from @flinkenick, the Warbler Prelude with its single BA as well... the IER-Z1R will be a 3 driver and the Solaris has 4.
That's why I said most, not all. It's like most people are used to the 128kb mp3 sound, I feel like a lot of the people in this hobby have gotten used to the BA sound, to my ear it sounds fake and empty. Zero weight, and the drivers providing the bass will never be as coherant as a single DD, Electrostat, or Planar driver. It is physically impossible.
That's my view on it, and how I hear it.
And you yourself have to admit, most people follow the herd.
Very few people let go of the current trends, no matter the market or product.
And everything else @Whitigir pointed to.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #572 of 15,280
Let's not be to definitive and judgmental, people are entitled to their choices and some multi driver IEM are very good so not every product is to be discarded for jumping on the driver war :p
For example I have enjoyed the U18t when I auditioned it. Now is it worth the price? Only you can decide...

The problem is to maintain coherency within those complex designs.
Simplicity is powerful as some products have reminded us : SE5U, the five driver has won the 17 IEM shootout from @flinkenick, the Warbler Prelude with its single BA as well... the IER-Z1R will be a 3 driver and the Solaris has 4.

I liked the U12t and the U18 tzar when I got to audition them, but a good seal is not easy to get for me with them so if I were considering either of those I'd have to go with the CIEM version. What I like about both of them is the ability to play music that can play speed metal and also have good, fast hard hitting bass and a lot of DD that I've heard, cannot keep up with the speed. This is why I dislike the HD650 headphone as it is too slow with the music I listen to. I'm sure it's great on other genre's of music, but this is one of the more important qualities I must have in a headphone and IEM. I also use a desktop pc and a Hugo 2 and might go with a Hugo TT2 if business picks up and I don't think that the power of it will work well with the Solaris, but I'm pretty sure that the Z1R will love the added juice of a desktop amp. I just hope that the DD can not have a muddy/bloomy sound with the music that I'd throw at it. I'm also very concerned about the fit, so I've been looking at computer chars that have a lot of recline angle and a headrest with it so it might be more comfortable to just lie back and enjoy the music. I'm surprised how much some of these ergonomic chairs are, but since I have a chronic pain condition, I don't mind spending the money on it if it will help me be more comfortable plus I can write it off as a business expense.

The CL2 sounds interesting, but I have too many items on my list already and I know I won't get all of them. I haven't liked the planars and electrostatic headphones that I've listened to. Electros sound too dry to me and while it is the best at a lot of things including speed, there's something about it that just sounds off to me, especially in the upper range. I've heard most of the mr speakers planars and audeze except for the LCD-4, and audeze stuff is too heavy for my neck and mr speakers just didn't do it for me, but they were comfortable. I haven't done a real vacation in many years. I've only done a few weekend road trips and my girlfriend wants to go to japan so maybe I'll try to plan something for 2019 and go to akihabara and listen to all of the stuff I want to listen to. I'd also like to look up Wagnus cable and meet Toru (?) as he's built cables for me and seems like a nice guy if possible. Maybe I'd get to try some of the sheep lineup.

I believe that sony will get the Z1R right, it's really just the fit that I'm concerned about. Maybe the ML size triple comforts will work for me because the medium is too loose and the large is slightly too tight and uncomfortable. I also wonder if those clear silicone tips they have are the same as the regular sony silicone tips, but just in a clear version. I'm hoping that they are new and more thick as the old ones are a bit flimsy and don't feel good to me. Universals in general are not as comfortable as they used to be with me. I sometimes wonder if getting old has something to do with the comfort of tips. All I know is that I'd like to get 2 or maybe 3 TOTL IEMs in the next six months and disappear from head fi for a few years. I've done it before until Focal came out with the utopia and chord came out with the hugo. I'd also like to attempt to do some amateur club racing before I get too old to do it so that could be a good distraction to get me away from this place for at least 2 to 3 years.

Nov 16, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #574 of 15,280
I liked the U12t and the U18 tzar when I got to audition them, but a good seal is not easy to get for me with them so if I were considering either of those I'd have to go with the CIEM version. What I like about both of them is the ability to play music that can play speed metal and also have good, fast hard hitting bass and a lot of DD that I've heard, cannot keep up with the speed. This is why I dislike the HD650 headphone as it is too slow with the music I listen to. I'm sure it's great on other genre's of music, but this is one of the more important qualities I must have in a headphone and IEM. I also use a desktop pc and a Hugo 2 and might go with a Hugo TT2 if business picks up and I don't think that the power of it will work well with the Solaris, but I'm pretty sure that the Z1R will love the added juice of a desktop amp. I just hope that the DD can not have a muddy/bloomy sound with the music that I'd throw at it. I'm also very concerned about the fit, so I've been looking at computer chars that have a lot of recline angle and a headrest with it so it might be more comfortable to just lie back and enjoy the music. I'm surprised how much some of these ergonomic chairs are, but since I have a chronic pain condition, I don't mind spending the money on it if it will help me be more comfortable plus I can write it off as a business expense.

The CL2 sounds interesting, but I have too many items on my list already and I know I won't get all of them. I haven't liked the planars and electrostatic headphones that I've listened to. Electros sound too dry to me and while it is the best at a lot of things including speed, there's something about it that just sounds off to me, especially in the upper range. I've heard most of the mr speakers planars and audeze except for the LCD-4, and audeze stuff is too heavy for my neck and mr speakers just didn't do it for me, but they were comfortable. I haven't done a real vacation in many years. I've only done a few weekend road trips and my girlfriend wants to go to japan so maybe I'll try to plan something for 2019 and go to akihabara and listen to all of the stuff I want to listen to. I'd also like to look up Wagnus cable and meet Toru (?) as he's built cables for me and seems like a nice guy if possible. Maybe I'd get to try some of the sheep lineup.

I believe that sony will get the Z1R right, it's really just the fit that I'm concerned about. Maybe the ML size triple comforts will work for me because the medium is too loose and the large is slightly too tight and uncomfortable. I also wonder if those clear silicone tips they have are the same as the regular sony silicone tips, but just in a clear version. I'm hoping that they are new and more thick as the old ones are a bit flimsy and don't feel good to me. Universals in general are not as comfortable as they used to be with me. I sometimes wonder if getting old has something to do with the comfort of tips. All I know is that I'd like to get 2 or maybe 3 TOTL IEMs in the next six months and disappear from head fi for a few years. I've done it before until Focal came out with the utopia and chord came out with the hugo. I'd also like to attempt to do some amateur club racing before I get too old to do it so that could be a good distraction to get me away from this place for at least 2 to 3 years.
Can you give me an example of a speed metal song that you listen to.
I wanna check how it sounds on the CL2.
Its not really a genre I listen to.
The craziest song that you can think of, that only a BA can handle would be great.

Nov 16, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #575 of 15,280
Can you give me an example of a speed metal song that you listen to.
I wanna check how it sounds on the CL2.
Its not really a genre I listen to.
The craziest song that you can think of, that only a BA can handle would be great.
This is a good one.

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #576 of 15,280
Well, as Ive read somewhere else on the starting thread, Im kind sick as well of "top tier" top price half-backed products from companies that every 6 months make a "leap in innovation", thats why Im close watching the Z1R and KSE1200. As a Vega owner, Im watching the Solaris with a grain of salt (specially if the treble tuning resembles the vega - which I hate by the way)

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #578 of 15,280
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #579 of 15,280
I’ve actually found two BA only IEMs which I like the bass on. Both are Chinese; the DM6 and the qdc Anole V3. Both actually don’t maybe have the most well rounded tuning. And while the bass is fast and goes low, it’s surprising to me as I had always thought BA’s by their nature had bad bass decay and couldn’t go so low. They both probably don’t go quite as low as DDs can? But........they go low enough that I like them with bass heavy genres like EDM.

Still I agree, maybe I’m just used to BAs now? It’s great that Sony has taken the path they have chosen with the IER-Z1R; and I have confidence they will get it right. I’m looking forward to it being not perfect; but providing many perfect listening sessions.

Cheers!

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #581 of 15,280
Well, as Ive read somewhere else on the starting thread, Im kind sick as well of "top tier" top price half-backed products from companies that every 6 months make a "leap in innovation", thats why Im close watching the Z1R and KSE1200. As a Vega owner, Im watching the Solaris with a grain of salt (specially if the treble tuning resembles the vega - which I hate by the way)

I'm a Vega and Andromeda owner. I felt sorta let down by the Vega... awesome in noisy cafes though. Really liked the Andromedas. I thought the treble of the Solaris was similar to the Andromedas, using the same BA tweeters?

If you like the KSE1200s presentation and are fine with it for semi-portable use due to the amp, I don't see how anything else could really compete. They're so next-level it's silly. I do eq the treble a bit as it has some spikes and valleys. Music Direct often sells open box units for the same price as the Solaris, total no brainer IMO. But they're so 6 mos ago and FOTM and brand allegiance is strong.

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #582 of 15,280
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #584 of 15,280

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back