SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 11, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #32 of 15,280
Can you please elaborate on ZiR IEM versus Just Ear. Were the differences so obvious that you could make a decision so fast. I am not sure how much listening you were able to do on both. Sincerely appreciate your insights as I am owner of Just Ear and am thinking between Just Ear & Z1R IEM for my wife as Just Ear is a longish process versus Z1R is just pick it up from the shelves (Eventually)..

Thanks again for any insights..

Aug 11, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #33 of 15,280
The mids. The Just Ears compared to the Z1R and M9 sounded distant and "lifeless". This especially when my playlist is dominated by female vocals. I spent 15 minutes on each of them. The moment I put the Just Ears on, I knew I wanted to move on...

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #34 of 15,280
The mids. The Just Ears compared to the Z1R and M9 sounded distant and "lifeless". This especially when my playlist is dominated by female vocals. I spent 15 minutes on each of them. The moment I put the Just Ears on, I knew I wanted to move on...
Thanks Syke. I will keep this in mind when I get a chance to try out the Z1R... sometime next year probably as I do not expect them int he USA anytime soon.

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #35 of 15,280
Like what the previous poster had mentioned, the Z1R isn't reference or neutral sounding. On the warmer side, the bass and mids are just right with a very nice sparkle in the treble department. The synergy it had with the WM1Z... Awesome.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #36 of 15,280
Can you please elaborate on ZiR IEM versus Just Ear. Were the differences so obvious that you could make a decision so fast. I am not sure how much listening you were able to do on both. Sincerely appreciate your insights as I am owner of Just Ear and am thinking between Just Ear & Z1R IEM for my wife as Just Ear is a longish process versus Z1R is just pick it up from the shelves (Eventually)..

Thanks again for any insights..

Thanks Syke. I will keep this in mind when I get a chance to try out the Z1R... sometime next year probably as I do not expect them int he USA anytime soon.

I suggest that you wait for the Z1Rs and M9s to be available stateside for a listen. I like the M9s as well, but got the Z1Rs instead as all the iems I have in my arsenal are full BAs. This is the first hybrid that got me tapping my feet.

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #38 of 15,280
The price tag is heavy. They will have to be really, really good. But the choice of materials is top notch and I'm curious about the hybrid 2 DD+1 BA design.

More subjective but a bit disappointing to me is the visual presentation. They look pretty blingy, reminds me of those diamond earrings Cristiano Ronaldo wears sometimes.
Considering their paring to the Z1R lineup and how excellent the [award-winning] industrial design of the MDR-Z1R is, Sony could have done better with its little brother.

If they're good enough, I might consider parking the Andromeda, but staying skeptic this time in terms of value, will have to have a good listen first.

Ugh, another hybrid. Was hoping Sony would go for the elusive TOTL single DD, given their success with the EX1000.

The EX1000 was one of my rare disappointments with top notch Sony audio gear. I never got to love them and ended up returning them. Excellent build but the sound was lacking for me in many ways.
A 2DD+1BA design, if well implemented, might actually solve all the limitations the EX1K had.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #39 of 15,280
The price tag is heavy. They will have to be really, really good. But the choice of materials is top notch and I'm curious about the hybrid 2 DD+1 BA design.

More subjective but a bit disappointing to me is the visual presentation. They look pretty blingy, reminds me of those diamond earrings Cristiano Rolando wears sometimes.
Considering their paring to the Z1R lineup and how excellent the [award-winning] industrial design of the MDR-Z1R is, Sony could have done better with its little brother.

If they're good enough, I might consider parking the Andromeda, but staying skeptic this time in terms of value, will have to have a good listen first.

the price... on the same day, two other brands launched their flagships iems in the same venue, one for 5700€, the other for 8000 usd... two months ago there was one for 5000 usd, heavy is highly relative these days unfortunately.

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #40 of 15,280
the price... on the same day, two other brands launched their flagships iems in the same venue, one for 5700€, the other for 8000 usd... two months ago there was one for 5000 usd, heavy is highly relative these days unfortunately.

Very true, it's not scandalous compared to the market competition in that quality band, but I was thinking more in terms of value. Seen the prices rise a lot these past... hmm, 15 years or so at HF and it's true that today the equipment can sound way better than before. Flagships 15 years ago didn't sound as good as some of the mid-range stuff these days. But even considering that and inflation, there's still the overall notion of value.

Are these new IEMs worth $2.5k? Perhaps. I guess I can take into account that it's Sony, and Sony isn't exactly Rolex in value retention. The MDR-Z1R for example was announced/retails at $2300, but you find it cheaper everywhere. I just checked at Amazon US and it's $1700, which is ~26% below MSRP.

If the IER-Z1R get similar pricing, we're looking at $1850. And expanding from that, if there are interesting price drops like what happened with the MDR-Z1R at Amazon.UK (insane discount to 1500 eur for some time)
delete.jpg

then we might end up seeing some IER units land not much higher than a Campfire Audio Vega or Andromeda. So depending on sound quality, discounts and overall presentation, this might be an interesting product.

Still a bit disappointed it didn't follow the big brother in terms of physical design. It's a bit too blingy.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #41 of 15,280
Very true, it's not scandalous compared to the market competition in that quality band, but I was thinking more in terms of value. Seen the prices rise a lot these past... hmm, 15 years or so at HF and it's true that today the equipment can sound way better than before. Flagships 15 years ago didn't sound as good as some of the mid-range stuff these days. But even considering that and inflation, there's still the overall notion of value.

Are these new IEMs worth $2.5k? Perhaps. I guess I can take into account that it's Sony, and Sony isn't exactly Rolex in value retention. The MDR-Z1R for example was announced/retails at $2300, but you find it cheaper everywhere. I just checked at Amazon US and it's $1700, which is ~26% below MSRP.

If the IER-Z1R get similar pricing, we're looking at $1850. And expanding from that, if there are interesting price drops like what happened with the MDR-Z1R at Amazon.UK (insane discount to 1500 eur for some time)

then we might end up seeing some IER units land not much higher than a Campfire Audio Vega or Andromeda. So depending on sound quality, discounts and overall presentation, this might be an interesting product.

Still a bit disappointed it didn't follow the big brother in terms of physical design. It's a bit too blingy.

we are not their market these days, it's the conspicious consumption addicts in china. (hence the strategic launch location - beijing/hong kong, not japan or ces) they need bling

2A4AC147-CA7F-4E78-B0FE-F253B6DD82BC.jpeg 5E113177-8BD3-462C-9351-DC612311E46C.jpeg

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #42 of 15,280
we are not their market these days, it's the conspicious consumption addicts in china. (hence the strategic launch location - beijing/hong kong, not japan or ces) they need bling

Indeed, and that might explain the bling a bit. I know cases where people in China are buying high-end expensive wine bottles well over $1K a pop without really knowing/caring what the wine is all about, except for the name on the label. Paying for status visibility means you won't want some generic cheap items with a standard anonymous black look. Pity.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #43 of 15,280
BTW, I am glad I did not order the just ears... They do not compare to either Z1R or M9.

Haha, no, not even close to being true, because the Just ears are still better.

The M9 has a treble boost to give the illusion of detail, but it is evident of this trick when the distinct "shhh" sound of Japanese comes up and reveals that it will distort and pierce your eardrums. It's fairly obvious to me that the M9 is mimicking the CA Andromeda tune which is hugely popular in Asia, but it doesn't really have any identity of its own. Out of the 3 new IEMs, the M9 was the most disappointing, I would take the M7 over the M9, as the M7 actually sounds more natural and non fatiguing one to me without that fake detail boost of the M9.

The Z1R is about as close as a universal Just ear MH2 as you can get, but it simply doesn't compare to a properly fitted Just ear. Half the magic of a Just ear comes from the highly elaborate ear impression process which results in the highest fitting custom you can get. And when you go all the way to the MH1, the competition is not even close.

Aug 11, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #44 of 15,280
Haha, no, not even close to being true, because the Just ears are still better.

The M9 has a treble boost to give the illusion of detail, but it is evident of this trick when the distinct "shhh" sound of Japanese comes up and reveals that it will distort and pierce your eardrums. It's fairly obvious to me that the M9 is mimicking the CA Andromeda tune which is hugely popular in Asia, but it doesn't really have any identity of its own. Out of the 3 new IEMs, the M9 was the most disappointing, I would take the M7 over the M9, as the M7 actually sounds more natural and non fatiguing one to me without that fake detail boost of the M9.

The Z1R is about as close as a universal Just ear MH2 as you can get, but it simply doesn't compare to a properly fitted Just ear. Half the magic of a Just ear comes from the highly elaborate ear impression process which results in the highest fitting custom you can get. And when you go all the way to the MH1, the competition is not even close.

Ha ha, thanks for reinforcing my bet on JustEar MH2.

Similar to nanaholic, I feel the new Z1R is very close to JustEar. I was lucky to steal 30 minutes of testing there, and get a hand to test the Z1R putting to DMP-Z1. Honestly, I think it is where Z1R shows its true self with the new powerhouse. I could not compare it to JustEar as my MH2 is yet to come. I had not put the demo JustEar next to me as my attention had been drawn into the sweetness and music with the combination.

Z1R is power hunger, but clear and good sounding stuff. If you love JustEar with the demo but don't want to go for custom, it is your first choice. To me, actually I was comparing it with the Vega.

Unfortunate to me, it is too big to me. Not easy to wear. It's light. Oh... I think I must say. For every drum hit, or even string vibration, I can feel the earbug shaking :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back