SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 30, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #62 of 15,264
Rather similar from my recollection. The IER-M9 top end sounds a little rough and brittle compared to Andro. But it does pair decently well with their range of DAPs.
It's also less sensitive to output impedances compared to the Andro, something Andro users would have to deal with, with different sources.

Which one was more comfortable? I like the sound out of my z5, but hate how it feels to me.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #68 of 15,264
I'll be following people's impressions of them once they hit the open market even though I'll probably buy something else by then as it looks too uncomfortable. It's the problem I have with the z5 despite liking the z5 a lot. And for the price I am considering ciems from 64 and ee that should have the sound signature I'm looking for while also fitting my ears well.

I do like how most Sony iems and even the earbuds from the late 80s and early 90s sound, but Sony has almost always had weird designs this past decade that just never felt comfortable with my ears whereas before I never had problems with fit.

I just got the 64 audio tour package and for the same price, the iem z1r will have a tough challenge facing those in the 2k to 3k price bracket. The configuration is unique and IIike how sony is trying to put all sorts of proprietary Japanese tech in it. I hope it does well, but I am skeptical. I think they will do ok, but not able to top other brands. Good luck Sony, with your pricing you got a lot to prove. Even if you can get it cheaper outside of the USA, the 2k range has a lot of great iems.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #71 of 15,264
I wonder how they'll fare compared to the Andromeda?

I'd hope that they will sound better than the Andros at that price. I love the sound of DD bass so I think they will sound great, but I really think that even if it was to be the best sounding IEM ever, the fit would not be to my liking. Lately, my ears have been more picky with fit than ever. Maybe it's old age kicking in. Plus I've always had issues with those weird sony IEM shapes being comfortable. The M9 is closer to the Andros in price and configuration as it also has 5 BAs. People on the other M9 thread are saying that it sounds better than the Andromedas. I ordered a pair as it looks like it's a normal shape and should be much more comfortable than my z5.

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #73 of 15,264
So whiles the IER series is Sony's answer to the retired EX1000, how does it compare. I'm still considering the M9, Z1R or the Just Ear, all of them is readly available, whiles I will be visiting Japan in November, I should be able to get the M9 or Z1R cheaper.
I will be auditioning all of them soon, but I have a feeling they are all too big for my ears.

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #74 of 15,264
So whiles the IER series is Sony's answer to the retired EX1000, how does it compare. I'm still considering the M9, Z1R or the Just Ear, all of them is readly available, whiles I will be visiting Japan in November, I should be able to get the M9 or Z1R cheaper.
I will be auditioning all of them soon, but I have a feeling they are all too big for my ears.

My guess it would be the Z1R, M9 and the Just Ear XJE-MH2 last. :smile:

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #75 of 15,264

Just ear MH1 will always be the top choice and in a league of its own as nothing will beat the experience of a fully tailored and personalised sound signature.

The IER-Z1R will be for people who don't want a custom/with an eye to sell their phones later down the path, otherwise the Just ear MH2 will beat it in terms of fit and comfort, which in turn will also affect sound as fit of IEM is crucial to sound quality, and Just ear fitting as done by Sugano-san is second to none to any CIEM.

M9 isn't really worth considering - there are too many competition in that price bracket and it doesn't really stand out unless you are a diehard Sony brand fanboy and must own a full set of Sony gear. It's a really awkward product IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back