SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 11, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #46 of 15,264
The crossover circuit board for the IER-Z1R has fine sound registers, the same found on WM1Z and part of the balanced section of both WM1Z/WM1A

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #50 of 15,264
Haha, no, not even close to being true, because the Just ears are still better.

The M9 has a treble boost to give the illusion of detail, but it is evident of this trick when the distinct "shhh" sound of Japanese comes up and reveals that it will distort and pierce your eardrums. It's fairly obvious to me that the M9 is mimicking the CA Andromeda tune which is hugely popular in Asia, but it doesn't really have any identity of its own. Out of the 3 new IEMs, the M9 was the most disappointing, I would take the M7 over the M9, as the M7 actually sounds more natural and non fatiguing one to me without that fake detail boost of the M9.

The Z1R is about as close as a universal Just ear MH2 as you can get, but it simply doesn't compare to a properly fitted Just ear. Half the magic of a Just ear comes from the highly elaborate ear impression process which results in the highest fitting custom you can get. And when you go all the way to the MH1, the competition is not even close.

oh, no. this sounds so sad for us who wish the Z1R is the best of SONY IEM. Most people like me does not have chance to try and buy JE :frowning2:
It is a pity SONY does not release a universal IEM and as good as the JE

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #51 of 15,264
oh, no. this sounds so sad for us who wish the Z1R is the best of SONY IEM. Most people like me does not have chance to try and buy JE :frowning2:
It is a pity SONY does not release a universal IEM and as good as the JE

Well, it's best to listen to it yourself. I had the opportunity to choose between the JE MH2 & the Z1R right in-front of me and I picked the Z1R. I don't agree that Z1R tries to be a JE. Their sound signatures are different.
I have auditioned the JE MH2 far too many times, each time trying to convince myself they are the one for me, but they aren't. That is not to say the MH2 are bad. It depends on the genre of the music you listen to and your personal sound preferences

I prefer the closeness, warmth & forward mids of the Z1R, which was very much recessed on the MH2. Just because it is pricier doesn't equate it to be better. FYI, I didn't fancy the 64 Audio Tia Fourte as well.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #52 of 15,264
Well, it's best to listen to it yourself. I had the opportunity to choose between the JE MH2 & the Z1R right in-front of me and I picked the Z1R. I don't agree that Z1R tries to be a JE. Their sound signatures are different.
I have auditioned the JE MH2 far too many times, each time trying to convince myself they are the one for me, but they aren't. That is not to say the MH2 are bad. It depends on the genre of the music you listen to and your personal sound preferences

I prefer the closeness, warmth & forward mids of the Z1R, which was very much recessed on the MH2. Just because it is pricier doesn't equate it to be better. FYI, I didn't fancy the 64 Audio Tia Fourte as well.
So you say these ier-z1r are forwarder than the XBA-Z5 but without sounding too ear piercing, so with a nice hint of warmth?

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #55 of 15,264
any news when this will be available in US or UK? waiting for the big moment of amazon uk huge price drops for those premium audio stuff
I think you will have to wait like 2 years for prices to come down

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #56 of 15,264
I think you will have to wait like 2 years for prices to come down
Not really, if you take a look at the amazon uk for the price of nw-wm1z.. It only took about 6 months since release before it hits the lowest price :)
upload_2018-8-15_19-11-33.png

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #58 of 15,264
How does CA Andromeda compare to IER-M9?
Rather similar from my recollection. The IER-M9 top end sounds a little rough and brittle compared to Andro. But it does pair decently well with their range of DAPs.
It's also less sensitive to output impedances compared to the Andro, something Andro users would have to deal with, with different sources.

Aug 30, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #59 of 15,264

Here's a nice jab from Sony to a certain (now retired) individual who shall remain nameless; "The ability to hear even the most subtle notes. I'm confident in my ability to do that. In audio products , there are things instruments can't measure, that need a human sense of hearing." lmao!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #60 of 15,264

Here's a nice jab from Sony to a certain (now retired) individual who shall remain nameless; "The ability to hear even the most subtle notes. I'm confident in my ability to do that. In audio products , there are things instruments can't measure, that need a human sense of hearing." lmao!

Bold words... "New best"... Good yes, but not sure about being the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back