SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 18, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #13,322 of 15,632
Z1R nightmare come to life. Just received and was trying out this Ali cable:
US $100.00 | LN006474 Blue 99% Pure Silver XLR 3.5mm 2.5mm 4.4mm Earphone Cable For Sony IER-M7 IER-M9 IER-Z1R
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPGhQEw

I was surprised how snug and secure the mmcx connectors worked, but the cable was advertised for the Z1R. Sound was terrific. Now the nightmare.

I cannot easily detach the snug mmcx, but after working at it they detached (and in the process the left connector fell off). Try to connect the stock cable, but it's not going in. What the eff!?

Upon closer inspection, the outer sheath of the mmcx pins on both sides dislodged inside both Z1R connectors. And I can't get them out. Holy f$&king crap!

I now have to DIY myself if possible and try to get these tiny things out of the Z1R mmcx sockets! Anyone had this problem and successfully solved it!? I'm pissed, should have stuck with stock cable, but alas, I'm in this hobby.

20230218_100634.jpg20230218_100714.jpg
So sorry to see this! I remember reading that one option might be to take them to a jeweler, who might have a small right angle extraction tool to try to remove them. Maybe worth the time before you attempt a DIY.

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #13,323 of 15,632
So sorry to see this! I remember reading that one option might be to take them to a jeweler, who might have a small right angle extraction tool to try to remove them. Maybe worth the time before you attempt a DIY.
Yes, I may end up there.

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #13,324 of 15,632
Feb 18, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #13,325 of 15,632
Hi
I’ve been satisfied z1r owner for few years.
I used to pair it with a Hibby R6 but i found the sound is a bit too harsh and thin.
Then i get myself a Sony Wm1A and never loockback
The z1r + Wm1A for me its like a match made in heaven.

Anyway fast forward a few years later,
Now im lazy to download dsd/hi res files to my Wm1A. So most of the time i use my iphone with apple music hi res loseless streaming, connect it via cable to my Wm1A as a DAC then to my z1r via balance connector.

The sound is as good as always, but the cables been bothering me.
So im in search for either a good DAP to replace my WM1A that can do Apple Music streaming, which sounded at least on par or better than Wm1A. And also it must match the sound signature of the Wm1A.
Im thinking the new sony Zx707 but still waiting the real world review for it.

Or

A good small Usbc / lightning DAC to conect to my ipad or iphone so i dont need to use anymore DAP. But i dont know is there anything outhere that is small but able to drive the z1r as well as the Wm1A?

Thank you very much 🙏🏼
I bought the Zx707 and returned it after a week. The sound wasn't as good as I hoped plus the volume is nerfed and they do not adequately power the Z1R's. It is a shame because it could have been a great DAP. I ended up buying the WM1A and pairing it with the Z1R's is everything I hoped the sound would be. I tried using my Cambridge audio dacmagic 200m and the sound was not really better than when I used the balanced output so I am selling my dacmagic. I ordered a lavricables grand silver cable and I'm looking forward to seeing what that does to the sound. I am hoping tighter base and more clarity in the mids and heights but if it takes away the warmness of the sound I may have to return them as the stock cables do a fantastic job.

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #13,326 of 15,632
Problem is there’s no sony demo in my country
I can only get it online.
Is the s master hx really difference between them two ?

What im saying is that I’ve been satisfied with my older Wm1A
If the zx707 can produces more or less same sound quality as the Wm1A then im sold.

About the Wm1Am2 I’m still thinking hard as i read few members complained about the sluggishness of the os when running simple apps like apple music or tidal
Thats why i thought the better cpu in the zx707 might run better.
As for the sound, im sure the Wm1Am2 will be better than the zx707 , but as long as the zx707 can be as good as the older Wm1A then I’m happy.
I should have clarified I have the NW-WM1AM2 not the WM1A and the sound of the WM1AM2 is in a completely different ballpark from the ZX707 in my opinion, especially when using the balanced output. The 707 has a new Snapdragon processer which is faster than the WM1AM2 but that doesn't compensate for the difference in sound quality. My only regret is not getting the WM1AM2 sooner.

Feb 18, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #13,327 of 15,632
Feb 18, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #13,328 of 15,632
Really sorry to hear this. I have my heart in my mouth every time I detach a cable from Z1R. I have my 'endgame' Z1R cable coming on Monday and hopefully won't be removing it for a long time. Good luck, let us know how you go.
And what cable is that ?
Thinking to get upgrade cable too but this sony cable are sound so good, the only thing that bother me is the ear hook 🤦🏻‍♂️

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #13,329 of 15,632
just curios
Im listening my z1r using Wm1A/ Wm1Am2 both at high gain volume setting around 60-80 depending on the song and with high gain

I tried low gain and also comfortable using it around 80-100 at low gain

But i feel they sounded more lively in high gain.

Is there any benefits using high gain / low gain vice versa ?

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #13,330 of 15,632
just curios
Im listening my z1r using Wm1A/ Wm1Am2 both at high gain volume setting around 60-80 depending on the song and with high gain

I always use low gain on my 1A/1AM2 for both MDR and IER Z1R, it really sounds more dynamic to my ears.

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #13,331 of 15,632
Feb 19, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #13,332 of 15,632
just curios

I always use low gain on my 1A/1AM2 for both MDR and IER Z1R, it really sounds more dynamic to my ears.

DAP in my understanding always sound at their best on lowest gain, as there is non to very minimum distortion, if the low gain can't drive your IEMs / Cans then step up for more power with medium gain (if any) and if the medium still not enough, you can use high gain. Some have similar SQ, some have maybe more little distortion on high gain but the lowest gain is the best SQ if it is enough to drive your transducers, but exception for something that hard to drive like planar headphones, they have benefit more with more amp

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #13,333 of 15,632
DAP in my understanding always sound at their best on lowest gain, as there is non to very minimum distortion, if the low gain can't drive your IEMs / Cans then step up for more power with medium gain (if any) and if the medium still not enough, you can use high gain. Some have similar SQ, some have maybe more little distortion on high gain but the lowest gain is the best SQ if it is enough to drive your transducers, but exception for something that hard to drive like planar headphones, they have benefit more with more amp
Ok, ill set it to low gain from now on then, maybe its the placebo effect that makes me think that the “high” gain sounded more powerful 😅

Feb 19, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #13,334 of 15,632
And what cable is that ?
Thinking to get upgrade cable too but this sony cable are sound so good, the only thing that bother me is the ear hook 🤦🏻‍♂️
Check one post above yours :wink: I also love the stock cable, but the Cardas upgrades almost every aspect of the sound while removing the irritation of the sticky ear hooks. Of course, it's not cheap, and not 'essential', but since Z1R is by some distance the best IEM I've heard in the business (for my tastes), it's worth the investment for me.

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #13,335 of 15,632
I ordered a Dunu Hulk Pro for mine, I love thicc, heavy cables. Once I get it on, it's never coming off. Also, even this thing makes me wince a little to use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P1Y3LR9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I got the Dunu Blanche a few years back and it has not come of since. That tool will not work on the Z1R as it relies on an accessible gap between the connectors and that does not exist on the Z1R due to the recessed socket

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back