SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 26, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #13,111 of 15,249
I had LX and EVO. Z1R beat both for me. Mentor doesn't come close, unless you're not interested in bass. I'd buy Z1R for $3000-$4000 based on the IEMs that cost that much today. That you can buy it for $1000 used is laughable.
Good to know it since I still have my Z1R.

Jan 26, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #13,112 of 15,249
Anyone with z1r tried ifi go bar or even the limited edition gold bar ?

Wonder how is the pairing.

Currently i still use my good ol wm1a
But im looking some setup for apple music streaming

Either get the sony zx700 or use my ipad pro + ifi go bar / gold bar

Jan 26, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #13,113 of 15,249
Anyone with z1r tried ifi go bar or even the limited edition gold bar ?

Wonder how is the pairing.

Currently i still use my good ol wm1a
But im looking some setup for apple music streaming

Either get the sony zx700 or use my ipad pro + ifi go bar / gold bar

ZX-707 = 1 hand. probably great sound, great pairing. cons = more expensive, slower UI (compared to ipad pro of course)
ipad pro + ifi go bar = 2 hands required. not as good sounding as ZX707 sound probable. plus = save money, faster apple music operational

if money isnt an issue, I would go for ZX-707, and you may sell your old WM1A later on if you are satisfied with it.

I also targeting ZX-707 (yeah discussed about it on ZX-700 thread also)

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #13,114 of 15,249
Todaymy IER-M7 cable suffered the same issue as the Z1R able that the tubings for theearhooks broke ans released some oilg substances

Jan 29, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #13,115 of 15,249
I'm buying these next. I think Sony is a supreme headphone company. The Sony XBA Z5 for instance has better Dynamic Bass than the Sennheiser IE800. This new aquisition can be classified as an exquisite mature sweet jewel which goes with my special destiny that is exciting happening this year perhaps....

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #13,116 of 15,249
I'm buying these next. I think Sony is a supreme headphone company. The Sony XBA Z5 for instance has better Dynamic Bass than the Sennheiser IE800. This new aquisition can be classified as an exquisite mature sweet jewel which goes with my special destiny that is exciting happening this year perhaps....
If tou love the XBA-Z5 you'll lov these. I'm rebuying the z5 as i regretted having sold mine because some eiwcolorqtion/acrqtches

Jan 29, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #13,117 of 15,249
I agree that the XBA-N3 is probably the "closest cousin" to the Z1R. They use similar technology and were designed by the same individual (N3 first, then Z1R).
And yet they sound absolutely nothing alike...

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #13,118 of 15,249
And yet they sound absolutely nothing alike...
I suppose that depends on who you ask and how exaggerated the verbiage. To me they don't sound that different and yes, the Z1R is better (as it should be). Graphs certainly don't tell the whole story, but:

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 3.09.58 PM.png

Jan 29, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #13,119 of 15,249
How much does it cost in Aussie dollars with Tax. Depending if you can get decent airfare from Australia to Hong Kong, the saving maybe worth your while as I got mine for US$1225 and the WM1AM2 for US$1150

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #13,120 of 15,249
I am reporting back that after some burning, the Fiio LC-RD Pro cable works great on Z1R in term of sound quality, at least I have the impression that it is at least on par, if not better than the stock cable. Of course, I did not do any serious A/B test, just hours of long term listening.

However, Fiio LC-RD Pro fails to address the most import Con of stock cable, which is the horrible fitting. At first the slightly angled MMCX gives me the hope, but unfortunately, the hook of the cable still jump over my ears instead of stay behind my ears.

Good news to me is, I am using a headband with Z1R anyway. Even with more expensive and specially designed for Z1R MMCX cable from Plussound cable, I doubt I can wear the Z1R in my jogging.
cable.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #13,122 of 15,249
I am reporting back that after some burning, the Fiio LC-RD Pro cable works great on Z1R in term of sound quality, at least I have the impression that it is at least on par, if not better than the stock cable. Of course, I did not do any serious A/B test, just hours of long term listening.

However, Fiio LC-RD Pro fails to address the most import Con of stock cable, which is the horrible fitting. At first the slightly angled MMCX gives me the hope, but unfortunately, the hook of the cable still jump over my ears instead of stay behind my ears.

Good news to me is, I am using a headband with Z1R anyway. Even with more expensive and specially designed for Z1R MMCX cable from Plussound cable, I doubt I can wear the Z1R in my jogging.
cable.jpg
I would consider the Z1R to completely unsuitable for jogging and the sound quality it produces wasted while pounding down the street

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #13,124 of 15,249
Wolfstar76, may I ask what headband you use? Thanks.
My heandbands are actually for running, I use Buff mostly of the time, especially when it is cold (SoCal cold though :)). I also have a few cheap one I bought from amazon. As long it will cover the cable hook, the handband will have Z1R in my ears securely when I was running. However, many time I will drag my handband to cover the entire IEM to have more isolation.

For security's concern, I am alwasy running on dedicated running/biking trail, otherwise, it may be dangerous.

Unfortunately, if you are not running, wearing headband just for IEM will not be convenient or comfortable.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #13,125 of 15,249
I would consider the Z1R to completely unsuitable for jogging and the sound quality it produces wasted while pounding down the street
I know it sounds incredible to wear such a heavy and unfitting IEM in your running. But in my case, it works pretty well. I envelope Z1R entirely with my handband and I can hear nothing but my music :). Nowadays, I am no longer training for marathon or any race, I am just a happy slow jogger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back