SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 31, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #13,141 of 15,280
I understand that some MMCX may fit the Z1R "better" or be made specifically for the Z1R, although I don't know what the difference from "standard" MMCX would be. (Plussound apparently has Z1R specific MMCX fittings for their cables.) The OE Audio adapters spin freely in the Z1R, and I felt the connection to the 2 pin cable side became lose after a time, which is why I like the Willow; more snug and secure on both sides of the adapter.
Yeah I got the sense that the Willow was the favorite. Hopefully I hear back from them. I think the issue is the recessed connectors on the Z1R. Oh well! At least I have options haha.

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #13,142 of 15,280
I have both Willow and OE. Both fit perfectly. That said, I find the Z1R fits far less perfectly with adapters on than it does with the stock cable. With adapters the shells push too tight against my ears and start hurting after a while. Since I discovered the Cardas Clear cable is sonic perfection with Z1R, I'm going to have its 2-pin connectors replaced with Z1R-compatible mmcx.

Jan 31, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #13,143 of 15,280
just for my understanding: are you able to hear the finest details of a song when jogging? i mean i wear the wf1000xm4 when jogging and they sound very good with ldac. when jogging, your mental focus is everywhere but not on listening and differentiating the finest details between a 100 to 3000 dollar iem.
I never considered using the IER-Z1R out jogging, due to it's size & weight it would easily come loose and fall out of my ears, despite the deep fit I've always got with it.

That said, I definitely do think there is value using 'better' IEMs when out running. As long as I get a snug fit. I can get pretty lost in what I'm listening to when I'm running, and while the BLON/CRA/Tin ChiFi is stuff ok, I really appreciate the vastly superior U6t or Andro2020 much more.

One final note from me, the Z1R is packed up on my desk ready to post to it's new owner. I've absolutely loved owning this IEM, it was the first legit TOTL anything that I purchased, and really opened my ears to what's possible at this level. While I will miss it's huge cavernous stage and presentation coupled with best-in-class detail, ultimately it never really connected with me on that deep emotional level like many other IEMs and headphones I have do, and recently I found myself reaching for others much more often. So it's time to let it go and recoup a few $$...

Jan 31, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #13,144 of 15,280
I have both Willow and OE. Both fit perfectly. That said, I find the Z1R fits far less perfectly with adapters on than it does with the stock cable. With adapters the shells push too tight against my ears and start hurting after a while. Since I discovered the Cardas Clear cable is sonic perfection with Z1R, I'm going to have its 2-pin connectors replaced with Z1R-compatible mmcx.
Guy this is literally the situation I’m in. I was hoping since the Z1R fits my ears so well already that the adapter wouldn’t interfere too much. But I don’t have the cable or the adapter yet so I can’t check haha.

Jan 31, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #13,145 of 15,280
Guy this is literally the situation I’m in. I was hoping since the Z1R fits my ears so well already that the adapter wouldn’t interfere too much. But I don’t have the cable or the adapter yet so I can’t check haha.
I've gone thru this as well, and it all works, just not as nicely as the stock.

Jan 31, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #13,146 of 15,280
I've gone thru this as well, and it all works, just not as nicely as the stock.
Thank you! Good to know. I just ordered the OEAudio one to try it out, but I’m just having the cable made with the Z1R MMCX connector because why not haha

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #13,147 of 15,280
bulky cable, if you are using cardas clear then only confined to home use.

Feb 1, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #13,149 of 15,280
bulky cable, if you are using cardas clear then only confined to home use.
I only ever use Z1R at home, and don't find Cardas Clear bulky at all (though you can see how the Willow adapters extend the IEMs too far).

PSX_20230120_143015.jpg

Feb 1, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #13,151 of 15,280
Feb 1, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #13,153 of 15,280
Xelastec is great for seal and to absorb overringing 6khz of Z1R, but they deform by time and can't back to its original shape. I threw sway 2 pair of xelastec last year and my 1 year xelastec became not as strecthy and torn when i pulled the umbrella.

Feb 1, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #13,154 of 15,280
Xelastec is great for seal and to absorb overringing 6khz of Z1R, but they deform by time and can't back to its original shape. I threw sway 2 pair of xelastec last year and my 1 year xelastec became not as strecthy and torn when i pulled the umbrella.
that's true and it needs to replace more frequently than others. unfortunately it is the only tip that allow me to use z1r without problem

Feb 1, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #13,155 of 15,280
that's true and it needs to replace more frequently than others. unfortunately it is the only tip that allow me to use z1r without problem
You can try the Latex eartips from Feaulle, unfortunately we can only get it from Ali, H570 is shaped like Azla crystal but made from latex, H370 is shorter version (but slight different inner cavity), H270 is shaped differenty. But all of those are made with Latex, comfy and quite tacky for seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back