SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 10, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #12,316 of 15,377
IMHO best IEM/price is subjective and personally when i insert IEM i have a different sound everytime (and did try every possible after market tips), thinking going to closed headphone

Jul 10, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #12,317 of 15,377
IMHO best IEM/price is subjective and personally when i insert IEM i have a different sound everytime (and did try every possible after market tips), thinking going to closed headphone
Man Closed backs are way too hot for long sessions 🥵 and no where near as good as open backs..personally I'd take IEM's over both tbh...but a good speaker system knocks all of them outta the ballpark but it'll cost you way more 💰

Jul 10, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #12,318 of 15,377
.but a good speaker system knocks all of them outta the ballpark
I agree. I have many headphones, IEMs, open, close etc and nothing comes close to my 2-channel stereo. With headgear you listen. With a stereo system you listen and feel the music.Not comparable and headgear make sense in terms of cost, space and the ability to listen without bothering anyone.

Jul 10, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #12,319 of 15,377
Man Closed backs are way too hot for long sessions 🥵 and no where near as good as open backs..personally I'd take IEM's over both tbh...but a good speaker system knocks all of them outta the ballpark but it'll cost you way more 💰
agree but open back leak sound and i have complain, sure speaker beat it, but more interested in compact setup

Jul 10, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #12,320 of 15,377
Hi,

Does anyone know if these can be demo'd in the UK?

I have heard good things, but at that price they need a proper demo.

Thanks

Jul 10, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #12,321 of 15,377
I doubt it. I could imagine you might even have trouble finding anywhere to buy them

Jul 11, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #12,322 of 15,377
I doubt it. I could imagine you might even have trouble finding anywhere to buy them
Thanks. They do at times show up for sale, but there is no point considering without a demo.

Are there options available in the UK that are as good as the IER-Z1R?

I appreciate that is hard to quantify but I am going to CanJam in the next few weeks so will try all I can so that I can make my purchase.

Jul 11, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #12,323 of 15,377
Thanks. They do at times show up for sale, but there is no point considering without a demo.

I appreciate that is hard to quantify but I am going to CanJam in the next few weeks so will try all I can so that I can make my purchase.

The Sennheiser IE900 is one you should be able to demo and offers a similar sound signature to Z1R.

Jul 11, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #12,324 of 15,377
a demo would do that much, i did demo in the store but when go home after 1 hour so uncomfortable, have to decide what to do with it

and don't know if it's my imagination but the MDR-Z1R is way better then IER-Z1R in term os spacial awareness (i.e locate object when watching movies)

Jul 11, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #12,325 of 15,377
a demo would do that much, i did demo in the store but when go home after 1 hour so uncomfortable, have to decide what to do with it

and don't know if it's my imagination but the MDR-Z1R is way better then IER-Z1R in term os spacial awareness (i.e locate object when watching movies)
If I could only have one Z1R it would be the IER but I wouldn’t want to get rid of either

Jul 11, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #12,326 of 15,377

Best bet would be if you can try with a fellow head-fi’er near you or maybe somebody will bring one to CanJam. Where in UK are you ?

Jul 11, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #12,327 of 15,377

Comfort is a huge issue for me as modern IEMs are often made too big. I currently use ER4Ps with custom ear tips and they are great, but something like the Campfire Audio Andromeda hurt the bones in my ear during a short demo!

I would not expect an IEM to be great with that films, hence I use a Smyth Realiser and HD800S for films in their full Dolby Atmos glory.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #12,328 of 15,377
(Deleted)

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #12,329 of 15,377
Best bet would be if you can try with a fellow head-fi’er near you or maybe somebody will bring one to CanJam. Where in UK are you ?
Could be an option...

I am in London, but I have travelled far before for demos so I am reasonably flexible.

Jul 11, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #12,330 of 15,377
Could be an option...

I am in London, but I have travelled far before for demos so I am reasonably flexible.
If you haven’t managed to try before and can wait that long I’ll be near Guildford for 2 weeks in September and will have mine with me there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back