SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 19, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #12,346 of 15,290
Jul 19, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #12,347 of 15,290
Jul 19, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #12,348 of 15,290
Yes, SednaEarFit Max Standard. BTW, I also use the other pairs on my TWS: Sony wf-1000xm4

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #12,350 of 15,290
Fir Audio Xenon 6, Empire Ears Legend EVO, 64 Audio tia Trio.
I haven't heard Xe6, but I've owned and sold the other two and don't consider either of them an upgrade over Z1R. In fact I'd consider the Z1R an upgrade on both, for my preferences. YMMV of course.

Jul 20, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #12,351 of 15,290
I haven't heard Xe6, but I've owned and sold the other two and don't consider either of them an upgrade over Z1R. In fact I'd consider the Z1R an upgrade on both, for my preferences. YMMV of course.
Yeah, I agree regarding EVO and Trio. EVO has amazing bass and technicalities but it’s treble leaves a lot to be desired, especially compared to Z1R’s. Trio also has great bass, and it also has nice treble but IMHO it sounds more disjointed than Z1R and a little too v-shaped overall. Z1R sounds more natural to me.

XE6 is a totally different sound to Z1R and it’s hard to say which is “better”. Both are very good but I’d say the Z1R’s tuning is more versatile with a broader range of music genres.

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #12,352 of 15,290
For me, I’m not sure it’s the cable that that affects comfort. Rather it is the insertion depth into my ears. I get the Z1R pretty deep in my ear canals, past the second bend where it locks in pretty tight. If I leave it more in my outer ear it falls out and also sounds thin. This works great for about 60-90 minutes or so, but after that my left ear tends to get a little sore and I’ve got to take a break. Not really a deal-breaker for me, but I do have other IEMs that I can wear for much longer.

I don’t think there is a ’clear’ upgrade from the Z1R, rather I think it’s more up to the individual whether something like EVO or Xe6 could be considered an upgrade. I’ve had the Xe6 on loan as part of a tour for the last week, and the way it presents bass, especially it’s mid-bass shelf is quite different to the Z1R. I find Xe6 bass to be a little faster and tighter, and the kinetic bass port is also something else which makes you feel the bass as much as hear it. Xe6 is also just a tad more revealing in the midrange and treble, which makes it a bit more immersive and engaging to me.

Despite those differences, I’d still be hard pressed to choose which is better, in universal form anyway.

However, one clear advantage Xe6 does have is that you can get it in custom which would obviously eliminate any fit or comfort issues.
The Z1R works particularly well with the custom Eartune Fidelity tips (https://www.adv-sound.com/products/eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips), owing to the Sony's knurled nozzle. The tips do not easily slide off as they do for my U12ts, which have a smooth nozzle. This has become such an annoyance that I'm planning on getting custom A12ts next Black Friday. (Or just keep the Sonys as my only pair?) This is to comment on the fit issues some have with the Z1R and the lack of a custom version. The custom tips are deep insertion beyond the second bend as @Neweymatt mentions, and sound and feel marvelous. Seems to me to be the perfect solution for Z1R owners (or those desiring to be owners) who suffer from fitment problems.

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #12,353 of 15,290
The Z1R works particularly well with the custom Eartune Fidelity tips (https://www.adv-sound.com/products/eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips), owing to the Sony's knurled nozzle. The tips do not easily slide off as they do for my U12ts, which have a smooth nozzle. This has become such an annoyance that I'm planning on getting custom A12ts next Black Friday. (Or just keep the Sonys as my only pair?) This is to comment on the fit issues some have with the Z1R and the lack of a custom version. The custom tips are deep insertion beyond the second bend as @Neweymatt mentions, and sound and feel marvelous. Seems to me to be the perfect solution for Z1R owners (or those desiring to be owners) who suffer from fitment problems.
Does anyone have a pic of a Z1R with these tips?

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #12,354 of 15,290
Jul 20, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #12,357 of 15,290
Does anyone have a pic of a Z1R with these tips?
Here's a pic of mine. Protrusion (sticking out) is a zero issue for me; it isolates the housing from the ear. :thumbsup: The tips become the feel, not the IEM. Very secure and comfortable. Next best thing to a custom, IMO.

Attachments

• Z1R with Eartune Fidelity tips.jpg
    Z1R with Eartune Fidelity tips.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #12,359 of 15,290
Picked up some new tips. FAudio instrumental, and vocal, and acoustune aet06

Previously I was using the aet07

I feel the FAudio vocal works well though soundstage is narrower, but my preference is currently the aet06. It has a more spacious centre image

Jul 21, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #12,360 of 15,290
Here's a pic of mine. Protrusion (sticking out) is a zero issue for me; it isolates the housing from the ear. :thumbsup: The tips become the feel, not the IEM. Very secure and comfortable. Next best thing to a custom, IMO.
Thanks, did you feel it changed the sound for you?
I've never tried universal tips with the Z1R. I haven't the patience for them. After my experience trying to get a good fit and seal with universals with the u12t, and then getting custom tips, I went straight to custom tips with the Z1R. Fantastic sound owing to a perfect seal and all day comfort.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back