SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 7, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #12,301 of 15,377
Hi all, so far the Z1Rs are getting 100% listening time and continue to enjoy the new details all around. I'm quite happy with the sound out of my L&P W2 dongle (esp with the Z1R sound profile).

I'm thinking of getting a mid-range DAP with sufficient power and good synergy for the Z1R. What are you all using? Looking for something in the ~$1k range (maybe IBasso DX300 or FiiO M11 Plus or something) and not the WM1ZM2 or SP2000T etc.. Looking for Android DAP with Spotify + Tidal streaming with 3.5mm+4.4mm termination, no need for amazing PEQ or LDAC or ultra high DSD rates. Is replaceable batteries in DAPs (e.g. DX90) still a thing?
If you are considering DX300, I would recommend WM1AM2.

Jul 7, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #12,302 of 15,377
Hey guys, my Z1R was left unused for about 10 days and when I picked it up today the earhooks on the cable felt tacky/sticky. I cleaned them with alcohol and they seem ok, but has anyone had the same thing happen to their stock cable?
I could only imagine either effects of humidity or more likely sweat (warm climate).
I live in a climate that has high humidity through the year, damp winters that can be cold at times and 25-29 degree 70+% humidity summers. Mine were secondhand when I purchased about 18 months ago but have no signs of what you describe. I use mine for 1-2 hours maximum and never wipe down, although I keep in a wooden desk drawer that may be a drier environment.
Is it possible sweat is a factor ie. more than a normal level of perspiration due to extended listening periods or warm weather? It might be good to get in the habit of doing a quick wipe after use and add a small dessicant sachet to where you store them.
In regards to the liquid it seems to be something inside the ear guide tube, I think it was noticed and mentioned before on the thread.

I was going to use signs of wear or breakdown as an excuse to go for an upgrade cable, more for looks and handling, but mine still seems to be in good nick.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #12,303 of 15,377
Hi all, so far the Z1Rs are getting 100% listening time and continue to enjoy the new details all around. I'm quite happy with the sound out of my L&P W2 dongle (esp with the Z1R sound profile).

I'm thinking of getting a mid-range DAP with sufficient power and good synergy for the Z1R. What are you all using? Looking for something in the ~$1k range (maybe IBasso DX300 or FiiO M11 Plus or something) and not the WM1ZM2 or SP2000T etc.. Looking for Android DAP with Spotify + Tidal streaming with 3.5mm+4.4mm termination, no need for amazing PEQ or LDAC or ultra high DSD rates. Is replaceable batteries in DAPs (e.g. DX90) still a thing?

Maybe for your use case, the WM1AM2 is really the best use case. After all, its rather inexpensive, at least compared to the 1ZM2.

However, for non-Sony alternatives, I tried the Fiio M11 Plus ESS and I liked the pairing it had with the IER-Z1R. If you still wanna stretch that budget, the iBasso DX320 with its Rohm DACs also double down on that grand soundstage and dynamics presentation that the IER-Z1R already has.

Sadly, replaceable batteries in players are a thing of the past already. You probably will have to bring these back to a retailer/distributor/supplier to get them replaced in due time. This is hence why I still recommend the Sony WM1AM2 the most. Sony's presence may be retreating but at least they still honour repair requests in a somewhat timely and reliable fashion.

Jul 8, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #12,304 of 15,377
my earhooks fell down completely after becoming detached from cable side. So i tore them off from MMCZ side

Jul 8, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #12,305 of 15,377
I invite any UK members to PM me if they are looking to buy an IER Z1R set. Complete with all packaging etc. Bought Jan 2020.

Jul 8, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #12,310 of 15,377
At any price :wink:
It really is at any price. I regularly check almost everything that hits the market and other offerings at 2000 and above are either shockingly bad or just shockingly boring/average.

The only thing I've found so far that was neither bad nor boring was the Final A8000, but so far it didn't tickle me enough to get it.

I still want to try the TG335 but haven't found a single demo unit somewhere yet

Jul 8, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #12,311 of 15,377
Z1R is one of the best at its price.

I don't agree with those who say that they are the best IEMs at any price, but I think that of all my IEMs they are the ones with the highest quality/price ratio.

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #12,312 of 15,377
I don't agree with those who say that they are the best IEMs at any price, but I think that of all my IEMs they are the ones with the highest quality/price ratio.
Fair point, 100% agree on this.

Jul 10, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #12,313 of 15,377

So, what is the best 3 of any price? at least to your ears that have tried many kilobucks IEMs

Jul 10, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #12,314 of 15,377
Maybe for your use case, the WM1AM2 is really the best use case. After all, its rather inexpensive, at least compared to the 1ZM2.

However, for non-Sony alternatives, I tried the Fiio M11 Plus ESS and I liked the pairing it had with the IER-Z1R. If you still wanna stretch that budget, the iBasso DX320 with its Rohm DACs also double down on that grand soundstage and dynamics presentation that the IER-Z1R already has.

Sadly, replaceable batteries in players are a thing of the past already. You probably will have to bring these back to a retailer/distributor/supplier to get them replaced in due time. This is hence why I still recommend the Sony WM1AM2 the most. Sony's presence may be retreating but at least they still honour repair requests in a somewhat timely and reliable fashion.

I agree with these.
my dream is get the WM1Am2, best I can get with the stretched budget (I can't afford WM1Zm2 for sure). But for a while, I'm happy on paradise with Z1R + Fiio M11 Plus ESS combo with those details, especially on treble parts, very airy, extended and bringing lot of details.
Tried the Sony ZX-507 the other day, love the bass part, but everything else i prefer M11 plus ESS, and aside from sound, snappy full android from M11 plus blows ZX-507 out of the water, and the screen also.

Jul 10, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #12,315 of 15,377
So, what is the best 3 of any price? at least to your ears that have tried many kilobucks IEMs
Watercooler thread has voting going on periodically. However, as long as one is satisfied with his/her current IEMs, there is no point to search for the "Best" as those who actually own multiple TOTL IEMs at $4k to $6k range are still searching for newer ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back