SONY IER-Z1R
May 8, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #11,911 of 15,421
In my history the Kimber made all the difference in the world to boost the quality of the TA/MDR-Z1R combo. The stock cable..............I actually have deep seated emotional hostility towards. I’ve been maybe thinking about counseling, but so far I just keep it buried out of sight. Truly I don’t know what Sony was thinking to include such a bad sounding cable with a TOTL headphone?

Enter the Kimber: (I got it free with the MDR-Z1R; would not have purchased it otherwise?)

The low-end gets tidied-up, fog removed, higher impact of bass notes with added texture. Mids were expanded out into abrupt focus from the smear that was the stock cable. Treble may be the best part as it is fully expanded and widened into a halo of detail. The treble was in-fact taken from lackluster into clarity and resolution!

With the Kimber, the TA/MDR combo beats the IER-Z1R/TA....hands down? IMO......and I used to not feel that way?

I can only imagine what members are getting going up the Kimber food-chain!
I have the MDR+Kimber and while it's improved over stick, I still prefer the IER+Taz over MDR+Taz. But ... I have the 'ultimate Kimber' en route, the Axios CU, so let's see if that tips the scales in MDR's favour...

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #11,912 of 15,421
I do wonder doe, if I paired the Z1R with a more revealing DAC, like a Gustard X26 Pro or Singxer SDA-6 Pro, how will it sound? I predict there will be more mid range presence but also make the treble more fatiguing.
I don't know those DACs, but the Schiit Bifrost2/Jot2 I've got on my desk is absolutely wonderful driving the Z1R. The BF2 is quite revealing while still sounding very smooth and organic, and is definitely never fatiguing in the treble. It would give you a nice contrast with the AKM chips in the D70, and would also pair well with your A90.

As far as the Z1R and performance with vocals, recessed is not at all how I hear it. Maybe it's my sources, or that I tend to listen more to female vocals.

This track from Royksopp & Alison Goldfrapp is what the Z1R is all about imho:

May 8, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #11,913 of 15,421
I have the MDR+Kimber and while it's improved over stick, u still prefer the IER+Taz over MDR+Taz. But ... I have the 'ultimate Kimber' en route, the Axios CU, so let's see if that tips the scales in MDR's favour...

Me?
I think that full-size will never be beat by IEMs, at least at the moment that’s how I see it.

I mean in my very first review of the IER-Z1R (March/2019) I stated what many of us recognize as the IER-Z1R mids being farther evolved and in a way better than the MDR? Also after you have listened to IER bass for weeks on end, the MDR sounds thin, or even lacking in the bass department, utterly ridiculous as that sounds!

Now:
Still I think if you step back and somehow become less myopic, the full-size just offers more. More soundstage and more detail in that soundstage. Especially in the area between the mids and lower mids?

But in many ways the two IER/MDR are not comparable. Meaning it’s like cars and motorcycles. There are basic differences that causes the experience to be very different. Though there truly was a time for many years when I thought the IER-Z1R was better than the MDR. Still (at that time) I was starting to gravitate more towards IEMs, and I had like 50 times more hours listening to the IER, where the MDR stayed in a box.

But I think it’s fine for opinions to be liquid! Our listening is based on experiences and those experiences are always changing. So? Why shouldn’t our opinions change too? It’s perception only, so nothing is set in stone. But I am totally surprised at times. Like I had the MDR-Z7 sitting unused and took it out today because I just wanted to see what it sounded like in use with this new album.

I guess it really was the album for it as it was amazing. It had none of the little issues from before. But when I first got the Z7 I thought it was closer to the MDR-Z1R than it was. Truly the Z7 is a nice headphone and WAS the Sony flagship before the MDR-Z1R came out. It was like a stepping stone in the creation of the MDR-Z1R. But in reality it’s very different than the MDR-Z1R, with reduced soundstage and boomy bass. Though what was fascinating was how much the TA/Kimber cleaned it up. But that’s the thing the Z7 is way, way less well rounded than the MDR-Z1R. Where much of the MDR-Z1R personality you can get many using the MDR with various sources, but the Z7 can actually sound terrible from some sources.

But maybe it’s easier to get great playback from the IER-Z1R? Where if anyone knows it’s you......as far as getting good sound from the IER....even before you got the TA. I mean we all know the extra quality the TA brings to basically everything. Still the IER-Z1R was easy to drive even from the WM1Z. Where I for whatever reason found the MDR-Z1R way different in response between the TA and WM1Z? Though of course there is that extra little bit that the TA brings to the IER-Z1R. I hear it in how the dynamic driver responds with slight better agility.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #11,914 of 15,421
Me?
I think that full-size will never be beat by IEMs, at least at the moment that’s how I see it.

I mean in my very first review of the IER-Z1R (March/2019) I stated what many of us recognize as the IER-Z1R mids being farther evolved and in a way better than the MDR? Also after you have listened to IER bass for weeks on end, the MDR sounds thin, or even lacking in the bass department, utterly ridiculous as that sounds!

Now:
Still I think if you step back and somehow become less myopic, the full-size just offers more. More soundstage and more detail in that soundstage. Especially in the area between the mids and lower mids?

But in many ways the two IER/MDR are not comparable. Meaning it’s like cars and motorcycles. There are basic differences that causes the experience to be very different. Though there truly was a time for many years when I thought the IER-Z1R was better than the MDR. Still (at that time) I was starting to gravitate more towards IEMs, and I had like 50 times more hours listening to the IER, where the MDR stayed in a box.

But I think it’s fine for opinions to be liquid! Our listening is based on experiences and those experiences are always changing. So? Why shouldn’t our opinions change too? It’s perception only, so nothing is set in stone. But I am totally surprised at times. Like I had the MDR-Z7 sitting unused and took it out today because I just wanted to see what it sounded like in use with this new album.

I guess it really was the album for it as it was amazing. It had none of the little issues from before. But when I first got the Z7 I thought it was closer to the MDR-Z1R than it was. Truly the Z7 is a nice headphone and WAS the Sony flagship before the MDR-Z1R came out. It was like a stepping stone in the creation of the MDR-Z1R. But in reality it’s very different than the MDR-Z1R, with reduced soundstage and boomy bass. Though what was fascinating was how much the TA/Kimber cleaned it up. But that’s the thing the Z7 is way, way less well rounded than the MDR-Z1R. Where much of the MDR-Z1R personality you can get many using the MDR with various sources, but the Z7 can actually sound terrible from some sources.

But maybe it’s easier to get great playback from the IER-Z1R? Where if anyone knows it’s you......as far as getting good sound from the IER....even before you got the TA. I mean we all know the extra quality the TA brings to basically everything. Still the IER-Z1R was easy to drive even from the WM1Z. Where I for whatever reason found the MDR-Z1R way different in response between the TA and WM1Z? Though of course there is that extra little bit that the TA brings to the IER-Z1R. I hear it in how the dynamic driver responds with slight better agility.
To me both the IER and the MDR can do things the other can’t so I’m happy I have both, but it would be the IER I would keep if I could only have one

May 8, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #11,915 of 15,421
Me?

Now:

Sorry, I meant I prefer (fixed that in the original post). I agree the IER and MDR aren't directly comparable. I might prefer IER bass and clarity, for example, but like you say, MDR presents a more holistic stage with bigger sound. I only bought MDR because I foubda great deal at the exact same time as I found an IER, and had the funds available for both. Very glad I did though, because barring the treble peak that needed taming with a cable swap, it's the best headphone I've owned, open or closed, and like the IER is elevated upward with the Sony sources. Honestly, to anyone buying the IER or MDR, I'd say, based on my experience so far, you're missing out if you don't pair them with the 1Z and/or Taz.

Edit: like @nc8000 if I had to pick one, I'd keep the IER (and WM1Z), mainly because I favour portability. Thankfully I don't have to choose.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #11,916 of 15,421
To me both the IER and the MDR can do things the other can’t so I’m happy I have both, but it would be the IER I would keep if I could only have one

I kinda have to keep the MDR as it’s my life-line to where I’m from. As I have countless years before 2018 into strictly full-size. I am not sure which I would keep?

May 8, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #11,917 of 15,421
I enjoyed the MDR while I had it, but I have no regrets selling it either. The IER on the other hand, I instantly regretted selling and repurchased it shortly after making that mistake.

May 8, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #11,918 of 15,421
I kinda have to keep the MDR as it’s my life-line to where I’m from. As I have countless years before 2018 into strictly full-size. I am not sure which I would keep?
I would have to keep the IER as I would also have to factor the portability for travel into the equation

May 8, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #11,919 of 15,421
I enjoyed the MDR while I had it, but I have no regrets selling it either. The IER on the other hand, I instantly regretted selling and repurchased it shortly after making that mistake.
MDR for me is like a trophy purchase. It's good enough just to leave in that glorious box and look at once in a while. It's an impressive talking piece too, when you want to show off your 'fancy headphones'. And I really do enjoy the occasional listen, especially in winter when the warm pads are reassuringly comfy. Most of all it completes the original Signature Series set, so its place is safe.

May 8, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #11,920 of 15,421
MDR for me is like a trophy purchase. It's good enough just to leave in that glorious box and look at once in a while. It's an impressive talking piece too, when you want to show off your 'fancy headphones'. And I really do enjoy the occasional listen, especially in winter when the warm pads are reassuringly comfy. Most of all it completes the original Signature Series set, so its place is safe.
Totally understand that. That’s why I held onto mine for so long. Hopefully Sony make a follow up eventually 🤞

May 8, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #11,921 of 15,421
Exactly, when the big-shots come over and wonder what I’m doing all the time, I have to show them. And they never tried IEMs, but the MDR goes right on their head, then the smiles emerge!

May 8, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #11,923 of 15,421
What I do love about the IER Z1R is how great it sounds even outside the Sony ecosystem. It is scales up nicely with the Luxury & Precision LP6 Ti 7th Anniversary Edition. :)

3F07A2B8-7DFF-40BF-841B-F552ACB420D3.jpeg

May 8, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #11,925 of 15,421
What I do love about the IER Z1R is how great it sounds even outside the Sony ecosystem. It is scales up nicely with the Luxury & Precision LP6 Ti 7th Anniversary Edition. :)

IER - Z1R always scale up crazily with amplifier, the stronger and more quality the amplifier, the more it scales. Additionally, it scales with DAC , and then transports as well

But I agree with @Redcarmoose , full-size is on it own league, and they are just like IER, the better the system, the more they scale up. They can be equal if you plug IER in a DAP and HD800S in that very same DAP for example 😂… I run my 800s out of DAP all the time, just because I love the easy on/off rather than hooking in an IER

But that doesn’t mean they are equal either, simply mean you are under driving the headphones and almost optimizing your IER

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back