SONY IER-Z1R
May 7, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #11,896 of 15,418
Everywhere I look has shown either waiting for stock or 入荷次第出荷 (Which means will send out once in stock). For Sony, this means there are probably only a few units left.

After all their factory making these TA-ZH1ES in Penang, Malaysia is, as far as I am aware, closed already. So you are probably right Kiats.

TBH I did not buy the Tazzies cos it was too big for my current table and the price for the amount of performance sort of pushed me into the arms of Topping. After all you could argue that the D70s, with its AKM DACs, has that smooth and relaxing listen similar to a Sony.
If you can find one, it's well worth a listen. They pop up occasionally on the classifieds, which is how I got mine. I actually bought it to pair with the MDR-Z1R, but I think the IER sounds even better than that pairing. If you love the WM1Z sound, Taz is that on steroids.

SignatureSeries_02 (1).jpg

May 7, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #11,897 of 15,418
If you can find one, it's well worth a listen. They pop up occasionally on the classifieds, which is how I got mine. I actually bought it to pair with the MDR-Z1R, but I think the IER sounds even better than that pairing. If you love the WM1Z sound, Taz is that on steroids.

I have yet to listen to it to be honest cos the nearest taz audition place to me is not very near and I am kinda lazy. I have always really wanted to try it and after reading your post, it has pushed me to want to try it even more.

Perhaps I might go down and try it before it gets EOL'd for real.

May 7, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #11,898 of 15,418
Everywhere I look has shown either waiting for stock or 入荷次第出荷 (Which means will send out once in stock). For Sony, this means there are probably only a few units left.

After all their factory making these TA-ZH1ES in Penang, Malaysia is, as far as I am aware, closed already. So you are probably right Kiats.

TBH I did not buy the Tazzies cos it was too big for my current table and the price for the amount of performance sort of pushed me into the arms of Topping. After all you could argue that the D70s, with its AKM DACs, has that smooth and relaxing listen similar to a Sony.
That’s right. Hence, the M2s were made in China this time around. @Uncle Wilson was the one who told me that the TAZ was EOL about a year back. @Damz87 confirmed similar for Australia.

That be true about Topping. Tho one thing I have learnt about Sony is that there is always this special synergy between their products. Have you tried the MDR-Z1R by the way? Do have a listen at the Sony Store when you get a chance to. :)

May 7, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #11,899 of 15,418

Oh you did? @gLer If I might ask, what is the market rate for the TAZ these days? The sad thing about the units I have seen is the top seems to have scratches but I guess people are not so careful with the things they put on top of it. :)

May 7, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #11,900 of 15,418
That’s right. Hence, the M2s were made in China this time around. @Uncle Wilson was the one who told me that the TAZ was EOL about a year back. @Damz87 confirmed similar for Australia.

That be true about Topping. Tho one thing I have learnt about Sony is that there is always this special synergy between their products. Have you tried the MDR-Z1R by the way? Do have a listen at the Sony Store when you get a chance to. :)
Thanks for the advice. The MDR-Z1R I have not tried cos I was dead set on buying the IER-Z1R haha. I most certainly will if I do get the chance.

May 7, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #11,901 of 15,418
Listening to the Z1R now and I just realised how ****ing magical this is. The bass is so strong but it doesnt bleed anywhere else. It rumbles but yet its so precise. This is driving me nuts.

May 7, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #11,902 of 15,418
Thanks for the advice. The MDR-Z1R I have not tried cos I was dead set on buying the IER-Z1R haha. I most certainly will if I do get the chance.
hahah! I can understand why! But do know that @Uncle Wilson can get it for you. I got mine from him recently. I was surprised by the synergy with the M2s, the OG 1A, 1Z as well as the DMP.

May 7, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #11,903 of 15,418
Oh you did? @gLer If I might ask, what is the market rate for the TAZ these days? The sad thing about the units I have seen is the top seems to have scratches but I guess people are not so careful with the things they put on top of it. :)
I've seen them sell for as low as $1100 in mint condition. I got mine for a bit more than that, but not much more, in absolute mint/as-new condition. Mine is less that 2 years old. You need to be sure to get one for your region, as they don't have a multi-voltage PSU. I was lucky to find a 220V version. Also, make sure it comes with the original box, but be prepared to pay serious shipping money - the packaging is massive, and heavy!
Listening to the Z1R now and I just realised how ****ing magical this is. The bass is so strong but it doesnt bleed anywhere else. It rumbles but yet its so precise. This is driving me nuts.
It's crazy good. Trying to describe IER-Z1R bass is difficult - most people just assume it's 'too much bass'. But it's actually not. Unlike something like Legend X or EVO, the bass is so well controlled and precise without ever being overwhelming, bloated or bleeding. Like you say it seems to sit on a different layer from the rest of the sound, and yet is completely cohesive, like a foundation to the music that doesn't interfere with the details or vocals. Mind you, it's not mid bass-heavy or thick, so out-and-out bassheads may want even more, but with the right music off the right source, I don't actually think there's an IEM that can rival it.

May 7, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #11,904 of 15,418
maybe I am alone in this thread with the opinion that I still consider ex1000 in the vocals to sound more coherent, with more details and naturalness in them
Ier z1r are the most comfortable headphones I have and despite very good fit .
With electronic and classical music still I think ex1000 sounds better

Attachments

• 20220428_133126.jpg
    20220428_133126.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
May 7, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #11,905 of 15,418

Same here, they don't sell the TA in my country so I looked into several options but being on these darn threads I wouldn't have been satisfied until I could find a TA-ZH1ES for my MDR-Z1R. I'd frequently seen people buy the TA for their IER-Z1R which I thought was overkill for an iem but after getting mine found how glorious they pair up. I'm more of an iem person so decided to free up the value of the MDR to fund the last of the WM1Z.
I know there are other great brands but Sony ticks all my boxes - build quality, looks and sound that brings a genuine smile to my face.

May 7, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #11,906 of 15,418
Same here, they don't sell the TA in my country so I looked into several options but being on these darn threads I wouldn't have been satisfied until I could find a TA-ZH1ES for my MDR-Z1R. I'd frequently seen people buy the TA for their IER-Z1R which I thought was overkill for an iem but after getting mine found how glorious they pair up. I'm more of an iem person so decided to free up the value of the MDR to fund the last of the WM1Z.
I know there are other great brands but Sony ticks all my boxes - build quality, looks and sound that brings a genuine smile to my face.
I agree about other brands, though I think the Signature Series is quite unique in that it's more than just the sum of its parts. You can tell the IEMs, headphones and sources were designed, tuned and made to work seamlessly and optimally together. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of any other premium brand that has developed an ecosystem of high-end components that cover the various use cases and listening scenarios of serious audiophiles and music lovers. I'm very fortunate to own all bar the DMP-Z1, which ironically doesn't fit my use case as well as the Taz and WM1Z, and which I also consider exorbitantly priced for what it is.

May 7, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #11,907 of 15,418
Absolutely agree! Sony does have an addictive sound signature that is very spcial and never fails to give pleasure and fatigue free listening. :)

May 8, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #11,908 of 15,418
I do wonder doe, if I paired the Z1R with a more revealing DAC, like a Gustard X26 Pro or Singxer SDA-6 Pro, how will it sound? I predict there will be more mid range presence but also make the treble more fatiguing.

May 8, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #11,909 of 15,418

In my history the Kimber made all the difference in the world to boost the quality of the TA/MDR-Z1R combo. The stock cable..............I actually have deep seated emotional hostility towards. I’ve been maybe thinking about counseling, but so far I just keep it buried out of sight. Truly I don’t know what Sony was thinking to include such a bad sounding cable with a TOTL headphone?

Enter the Kimber: (I got it free with the MDR-Z1R; would not have purchased it otherwise?)

The low-end gets tidied-up, fog removed, higher impact of bass notes with added texture. Mids were expanded out into abrupt focus from the smear that was the stock cable. Treble may be the best part as it is fully expanded and widened into a halo of detail. The treble was in-fact taken from lackluster into clarity and resolution!

With the Kimber, the TA/MDR combo beats the IER-Z1R/TA....hands down? IMO......and I used to not feel that way?

I can only imagine what members are getting going up the Kimber food-chain!

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #11,910 of 15,418
I do wonder doe, if I paired the Z1R with a more revealing DAC, like a Gustard X26 Pro or Singxer SDA-6 Pro, how will it sound? I predict there will be more mid range presence but also make the treble more fatiguing.
I think it is always about balance. I recall that @Damz87 tried with the Kimber Kable and did not like what it did to the treble extension. And I have tried with silver cables and there was a loss of the organic bass decay. So, it is really what you want from it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back