SONY IER-Z1R
May 6, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #11,881 of 15,318
Yeah, totally agree. I just bought some Fir Kr5’s and figured I’d get some Z1Rs to try too (seeing as they were so highly regarded by others). I thought it would be an obvious result of which I prefer but it’s really tough. I actually think a lot of music I tend to listen to just naturally sounds more pleasant from the Z1Rs and the comfort is much better than I was expecting either. It’s a really tough decision which to keep.

May 7, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #11,882 of 15,318
After an arduous wait, it is finally here. I am proud to officially be a part of this community and I look forward to sharing this experience with everyone here.

Welcome home, Signature Series. I have been waiting for you. I would also like to extend my thanks to @Uncle Wilson for selling me this IEM. You have fulfilled my wish.

DSC_0230.JPG

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #11,883 of 15,318
After an arduous wait, it is finally here. I am proud to officially be a part of this community and I look forward to sharing this experience with everyone here.

Welcome home, Signature Series. I have been waiting for you. I would also like to extend my thanks to @Uncle Wilson for selling me this IEM. You have fulfilled my wish.

DSC_0230.JPG
Congrats and welcome to the club! Endgame portable system right there.

May 7, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #11,884 of 15,318

DSC_0230.JPG
Yeah… the Sony IER-Z1R is a great little IEM that has never ceased to give pleasure. From the OG WM 1A, 1Z to now the M2s. Great off the DMP too. And now even Luxury & Precision has deemed it worthy of having its own sound style in the latest FW and DSP updates. :)

May 7, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #11,885 of 15,318
First impression (With Moondrop Spring Tips): Mother of god in heaven. Since when did bass notes go so far down and since when did it feel like a concert hall?

May 7, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #11,886 of 15,318
First impression (With Moondrop Spring Tips): Mother of god in heaven. Since when did bass notes go so far down and since when did it feel like a concert hall?
Indeed! It is very impressive indeed! And it’s one of the few IEMs where you feel the stock cables were carefully matched with the IEM.

May 7, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #11,887 of 15,318
Indeed! It is very impressive indeed! And it’s one of the few IEMs where you feel the stock cables were carefully matched with the IEM.
I have a pure silver cable on the way from the People's Republic. I look forward to trying it with that cable. My reason for buying the silver cable is quite shallow but is cos I want to keep the stock cable in pristine condition haha.

Otherwise, im listening to it while typing this and it really is even better than I imagined.

May 7, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #11,888 of 15,318
Congratulations!

You must be 5 feet off the ground! You may never come back down!

Christmas in May!

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #11,889 of 15,318
Indeed. If you're into sub bass quality/quantity with a unique cavern-like stage and pristine treble that makes female vocals and instruments shine, there's nothing that rivals the Z1R ime. Paired with a Sony source and I need for nothing else. YMMV, but based on your early impressions, looks like our mileage is fairly similar 😁

May 7, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #11,890 of 15,318
Indeed. If you're into sub bass quality/quantity with a unique cavern-like stage and pristine treble that makes female vocals and instruments shine, there's nothing that rivals the Z1R ime. Paired with a Sony source and I need for nothing else. YMMV, but based on your early impressions, looks like our mileage is fairly similar 😁
I fully agree with you. It sounds slightly different between my 1Z and my topping stack.

On my topping stack it sounds just a tad cooler with more treble presence. Its like more open and airy. On the 1Z, its mad THICC with a slower bass response but each note feels so satisfying to listen to.

Its almost unbelievable, it never sounded like this to me in stores when I demo'd. Its like a wet dream tbh.

May 7, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #11,891 of 15,318
Imagine once your totally mentally adapted and the unit is burned-in.
I fully agree with you. It sounds slightly different between my 1Z and my topping stack.

On my topping stack it sounds just a tad cooler with more treble presence. Its like more open and airy. On the 1Z, its mad THICC with a slower bass response but each note feels so satisfying to listen to.

Its almost unbelievable, it never sounded like this to me in stores when I demo'd. Its like a wet dream tbh.

May 7, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #11,892 of 15,318

IER-Z1R, WM1Z, won't be long until we see you on the TA-ZH1ES thread :grin:

May 7, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #11,893 of 15,318
Tho it will more difficult for the TAZ since it has been discontinued…

May 7, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #11,894 of 15,318
Indeed. Busy listening to this album with that very combination:

Kate Rusby 30 _ Happy Returns Cover.jpg

Some of the very best female vocals I've heard with any system, bar none. I'm not sure how anyone can listen to this album, on this system, and tell me the Z1R has recessed or poor mids. Simply world class.

And the liquid bass notes that create a life-size stage while giving me a gentle, non-fatiguing skull massage is one of the most beautiful sensations I've had in audio.

If you think the WM1Z is exceptional, imagine the ultimate version of that sound taken to the absolute maximum in every dimension. That's Z1R+Taz.

May 7, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #11,895 of 15,318
Tho it will more difficult for the TAZ since it has been discontinued…
Everywhere I look has shown either waiting for stock or 入荷次第出荷 (Which means will send out once in stock). For Sony, this means there are probably only a few units left.

After all their factory making these TA-ZH1ES in Penang, Malaysia is, as far as I am aware, closed already. So you are probably right Kiats.

TBH I did not buy the Tazzies cos it was too big for my current table and the price for the amount of performance sort of pushed me into the arms of Topping. After all you could argue that the D70s, with its AKM DACs, has that smooth and relaxing listen similar to a Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back