SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 19, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #1,126 of 15,290
Feb 19, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #1,127 of 15,290
Feb 19, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #1,128 of 15,290
So he heard all flagships of all IEM companies to state that? It’s a bit fishy if you ask me. In the TOTL area there is no „best“ but what suits a listener and what he/she prefers (soundstage, bass quality, resolution etc.) Alas you can’t have it all at once.

+1 I’ll wait for a proper review or better yet an audition (it it can be done here in Paris...) before making any conclusion...

Feb 19, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #1,130 of 15,290
The Taiwan writer did mention he had only gave the same rating to open cans Pioneer SE master 1 and Sennheiser HD800 and HD800S, may be this can somehow show his sound preference:)

But seems not much personal reviews on the final production model available...

Feb 19, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #1,131 of 15,290
The Taiwan writer did mention he had only gave the same rating to open cans Pioneer SE master 1 and Sennheiser HD800 and HD800S, may be this can somehow show his sound preference:)

But seems not much personal reviews on the final production model available...
Master 1 was meh.
17311879-vomiting.jpg

Feb 19, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,132 of 15,290
Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #1,133 of 15,290
Having an opinion is fishy? There's so many of these sort of opinions about one IEM or another, what's the difference?
If it’s an opinion from a fellow audiophile it wouldn’t be fishy, but coming from an official „reviewer“ it is, in my opinion. He should be able to be more precise in his wording. It’s a difference if someone states he likes IEM „x“ or „y“ best, or stating it‘s the best IEM available.

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #1,134 of 15,290
Is it possible that Sony ier z1r has better resolution than shure kse1200 using same source?

Was hoping for it to be, so bought them to see for myself.

Short answer is the Shure is still an echelon above, but you’re better off getting kse1500 for the eq filters (“De-Ess” imo mandatory for the high freq roll off setting for rock music).

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 19, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #1,135 of 15,290
I am in Hong Kong these two weeks on business, went to DMA wanting to listen to the Jomo's Trinnity and ended up taking it home. Really like the electrostatic ethereal flavor. While I was there they have the Z1r demo so I of course jump on it. I did have an audition of the Sony DMP-Z1 at the Sony show room before and although nice didn't wow me especially given the price. A lot of headfiers here have been waiting for the release of the Z1r and also deciding between the Solaris or the Z1r. According to Sato, Sony set out to build the Z1r with the objective of making it as real as it can, Frankly speaking, my expectation was not very high as there were not that many reviews in the wild and no shortage of skeptics in here. As it was near closing time of the store I was only able to listen to it for about 15 minutes but I immediately liked it. I plan on going back to do another longer audition these two days but initial limited audition is very favorable and felt Sony's stated objective has been realized. I mainly listened to several male vocal pieces with my 1Z and find the Z1r to be very very enjoyable and did give you the in vivo experience. I cannot say much about the bass and treble as I did not have enough time to put it through the different venue but the mid is very very good. I immediately feel the sound character is very different from my Solaris, The Solaris is a much brighter sound where as the Z1r is very easy listening with a lot of genuineness. They are apples and oranges and I think the sound character is different enough that you either like one or the other. I ended up wanting to buy one but they are all sold out. I think this may be the only iems that I know that uses a 5 mm DD driver for the treble range (and of course another DD for the bass) very much like many of the full size speakers. I am anxiously waiting to return for another audition. I want to hear whether with the DD treble driver it will mitigate the BA burn out experience of many BA iems. Don't hold me to it but I think the street price that I can get the Z1r is abut $1,600.00 and that is in the neighborhood of the Solaris. The Solaris is nice but I have a subtle sense that the Z1r may have a longer longevity as far as listening goes. Will see. So many new iems on the market to suit anyone listening style, and this Z1r is going to be a very strong contender.

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #1,137 of 15,290
I am in Hong Kong these two weeks on business, went to DMA wanting to listen to the Jomo's Trinnity and ended up taking it home. Really like the electrostatic ethereal flavor. While I was there they have the Z1r demo so I of course jump on it. I did have an audition of the Sony DMP-Z1 at the Sony show room before and although nice didn't wow me especially given the price. A lot of headfiers here have been waiting for the release of the Z1r and also deciding between the Solaris or the Z1r. According to Sato, Sony set out to build the Z1r with the objective of making it as real as it can, Frankly speaking, my expectation was not very high as there were not that many reviews in the wild and no shortage of skeptics in here. As it was near closing time of the store I was only able to listen to it for about 15 minutes but I immediately liked it. I plan on going back to do another longer audition these two days but initial limited audition is very favorable and felt Sony's stated objective has been realized. I mainly listened to several male vocal pieces with my 1Z and find the Z1r to be very very enjoyable and did give you the in vivo experience. I cannot say much about the bass and treble as I did not have enough time to put it through the different venue but the mid is very very good. I immediately feel the sound character is very different from my Solaris, The Solaris is a much brighter sound where as the Z1r is very easy listening with a lot of genuineness. They are apples and oranges and I think the sound character is different enough that you either like one or the other. I ended up wanting to buy one but they are all sold out. I think this may be the only iems that I know that uses a 5 mm DD driver for the treble range (and of course another DD for the bass) very much like many of the full size speakers. I am anxiously waiting to return for another audition. I want to hear whether with the DD treble driver it will mitigate the BA burn out experience of many BA iems. Don't hold me to it but I think the street price that I can get the Z1r is abut $1,600.00 and that is in the neighborhood of the Solaris. The Solaris is nice but I have a subtle sense that the Z1r may have a longer longevity as far as listening goes. Will see. So many new iems on the market to suit anyone listening style, and this Z1r is going to be a very strong contender.

I have to agreed with you that the mids is very good... almost reminded me to fitear 334 like (audition long time ago)... to me demoning 3 hours at my local place, reallt left good impression... i really like the whole experiance and fit.

Is going to be a wothy upgrade from my k10

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #1,138 of 15,290
Has anyone heard any updates on timing of z1r availability in the US?

Seems to be some time in March. I'm not sure when it will be available in Canada, hopefully similar. I still haven't been able to find anywhere locally that will stock the Z1R. Very frustrating!

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #1,140 of 15,290
These days there are so many v shape or u shape phones, I have the Vega, Altas, there are Flamenco, Legendary X, Phantom all are great bass iems, and then there are Andromeda, most Electrostatic, the 64 U18t etc are great treble phones, I just like to have a great mid phone and Z1r is great in that range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back