SONY IER-Z1R
Sep 1, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #10,801 of 15,280
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-ier-z1r.23390/reviews#review-21713

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-mdr-z1r.21971/reviews#review-21989

Which review, the MDR-Z1R or IER-Z1R? The IER was a blast to do. It’s my best review ever IMO. Got the IER in 2019 the week it came out, just put one aside. Purchased it even without trying it.
Ier-z1r is the fav one!! But i read all of your review to the point that i bookmarked your profile for easier access 😉:
999F9D61-3104-4AF8-9AC0-11F2EDE8E024.jpeg

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #10,802 of 15,280
I agree the IER-Z1R and 1A is a potent combo. What with the new firmwares it may (any day now) become even better. At least how I hear it? It’s pretty much end-game for me? Yes, maybe other amps get more damping, but I’m more concerned with tonality?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #10,804 of 15,280
Can anyone tell me if the new foams from the WFxm4 are like the stock triple comfort? As in that they are made durable kinda like a silicone or is it like regular foam tips.
They’re not like the tricomfort. Tricomfort don’t stay in my ear and are much denser. The wfxm4 stay in my ear beautifully and isolate excellent. They’re quick-expanding foam, they don’t keep a squished shape. They have a great sound and are the best foams I have ever known, and they work beautifully with the Z1Rs. They are not durable, indeed they tear very easily

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #10,805 of 15,280
Sep 4, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #10,806 of 15,280
You are exactly correct in showing that I never reiterated on comfort (too much) in either review. The IER review was (written) the week they were introduced to the world. There was a few released in China beforehand. My actual unit is #124. So I had a small idea people were going to have issues. Probably 25% have trouble with the fit of the IER-Z1R. But they are fine for me. Though I do notice that they are obviously heavy. But fit is perfect. The MDR-Z1R on the other hand is by far the most comfortable (full size) headphone ever made. Much of the time it’s the end of the road after many have tried a slew of torturous beasts!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #10,807 of 15,280
You are exactly correct in showing that I never reiterated on comfort (too much) in either review. The IER review was (written) the week they were introduced to the world. There was a few released in China beforehand. My actual unit is #124. So I had a small idea people were going to have issues. Probably 25% have trouble with the fit of the IER-Z1R. But they are fine for me. Though I do notice that they are obviously heavy. But fit is perfect. The MDR-Z1R on the other hand is by far the most comfortable (full size) headphone ever made. Much of the time it’s the end of the road after many have tried a slew of torturous beasts!
they sit fine on my head but it does get little hot. complain about build quality is that it is too good. i am very scared carrying them around and this silicone casing dent make them more comfortable

Sep 7, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #10,809 of 15,280
Does anyone have any experience with 2pin to mmcx adapters that will fit the z1r's recessed socket? I have a lot of 2pin cables that I want to test with the z1r (but don't want to risk breaking the mmcx sockets on the iems too).. thank you so much
My experience with mmcx to 2 pin is that you don't want to buy cheap, especially with the risk of damaging the mmcx on the z1r. I have some converters and I wouldnt trust to use them with a $2k IEM.

Sep 7, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #10,810 of 15,280
Got this pretty for my z1r today. The process of burn-in is started :)
IMG_8668.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #10,811 of 15,280
Got this pretty for my z1r today. The process of burn-in is started :)
IMG_8668.jpeg
Cool.

Question if I may, why did you decide to go with a silver cable over the stock?

Sep 7, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #10,812 of 15,280
Cool.

Better comfort could be one reason and also silver does something to the sound

Sep 7, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #10,813 of 15,280
Cool.

I was looking for something more lightweight with different ear hooks and also from my previous exp silver cables sound just more open and transparent. So decided to experiment with possible enhancements of my favorite iems :) But I like the stock cable sound for sure, one of the best stock cables I've ever had.

Sep 8, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #10,814 of 15,280
I was looking for something more lightweight with different ear hooks and also from my previous exp silver cables sound just more open and transparent. So decided to experiment with possible enhancements of my favorite iems :) But I like the stock cable sound for sure, one of the best stock cables I've ever had.
I would like to hear back after the burn-in if you spot any noticeable difference between the Master line vs stock. I might want to try it out on the Variations (but Ultimate) since I've been in love with it recently. But if it can make the Z1R even better, I might have to invest. (Not a firm cable believer but we'll see!)

Sep 8, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #10,815 of 15,280
I would like to hear back after the burn-in if you spot any noticeable difference between the Master line vs stock. I might want to try it out on the Variations (but Ultimate) since I've been in love with it recently. But if it can make the Z1R even better, I might have to invest. (Not a firm cable believer but we'll see!)
For me going from stock cable (which really is a very good cable) gave a small but meaningfull improvement in sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back