SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 29, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #10,786 of 15,271
IER-Z1R with the new tricomfort WF-1000XM4 foamy ear tips. Game over

Over the stock tricomfort: 3x passive noise cancellation, 2x clarity, 5x the fit, 10x the staying power inside your ear. No more discomfort or fidgeting. Not annoying or pressurized as if you’re underwater like the comply.

You’re welcome
Just ordered a pair from Encompass to try out. I exclusively use the hybrid silicon on the Z1R but I like the triple comfort on the M9, so I’m going to try them on the M9 and report over on that thread my impressions. Thanks for the [warning: incoming pun] tip.

Cheers,
Gus

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #10,787 of 15,271
Congrats on the purchase!

Final E has been about the best for me with Z1R, SpiralDots close second, you should be fine with either.

You should give the Triple Comfort Foams a try. They are not like most other foams in that they don't really muffle the sound too much..
yeah I love the foamies that come in the box. Definitely they add smoothness and thickness over silicons. Haven't gone back since

Listened last night to Massive Attack Blue Lines 2012 remaster in 24/96 with Z1R and Hugo2 .... f*uck me that is so next level. Original Blue lines mix master was so quiet. too quiet.

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #10,788 of 15,271
Listened last night to Massive Attack Blue Lines 2012 remaster in 24/96 with Z1R and Hugo2
"Protection" is my go-to bass test track for gear. I only had to hear the first 20 seconds on the Z1R to make up my mind I was going to buy it..

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #10,789 of 15,271
"Protection" is my go-to bass test track for gear. I only had to hear the first 20 seconds on the Z1R to make up my mind I was going to buy it..
nice! Love that album! Really a pity it also didn't get remastered and whoever did it for bluelines needs a shake of the hand and they balanced the increased loudness perfectly with better instrument placement and dynamics ..was religious experience ! I was a bit monged on edibles too which helps. Pardon the Irish slang

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #10,790 of 15,271

Having this combo for almost 2 weeks now, I dont think i'm an audiophile when it comes to listening but I'm loving it more and more now (this really needs burn in). The fit is okay, just that i get the pressure behind my ears if it sits under my glasses, itching to get 3rd party cable like LC-RE or Blanche to have better comfort but havent take a leap because lack of review. More concern about the connector than anything else. Will be great if someone with LC-RE/Blanche can do the video taking it off and putting it in.

BTW, I'm blaming @Redcarmoose (actually thankful) for this combo. In fact I'm inspired to get MDR-Z1R too now (because of his review as well haha). Gorgeous photo by him maybe one of the main factor :ksc75smile:.

Cheers and cant thank enough for everybody in the community!
IMG_2939.JPG

Sep 1, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #10,791 of 15,271
Having this combo for almost 2 weeks now, I dont think i'm an audiophile when it comes to listening but I'm loving it more and more now (this really needs burn in). The fit is okay, just that i get the pressure behind my ears if it sits under my glasses, itching to get 3rd party cable like LC-RE or Blanche to have better comfort but havent take a leap because lack of review. More concern about the connector than anything else. Will be great if someone with LC-RE/Blanche can do the video taking it off and putting it in.

BTW, I'm blaming @Redcarmoose (actually thankful) for this combo. In fact I'm inspired to get MDR-Z1R too now (because of his review as well haha). Gorgeous photo by him maybe one of the main factor :ksc75smile:.

Cheers and cant thank enough for everybody in the community!
I’ve got the Blanche from Dunu. It is a marginal improvement in sound over stock and more comfortable (not that I had any problems with the stock cable) but I mostly got it for the swappable tips. I put it on no problem but have never taken it off again and don’t really have any intention of doing that but expect it will be a hassle, it has been with the other 3rd party cables I’ve tried (some more thn others)

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #10,792 of 15,271
Just when i tought, that my Z1Rs were flashy and bling… Fiio FDX outclasses them in this regard. Gold plates shell (24kt) with Diamonds incrusted in the wind-fliw pattern lines… ugly as hell.

i’ve downgraded my z1R to classy timeless design

Sep 1, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #10,793 of 15,271
Gold plates shell (24kt) with Diamonds incrusted in the wind-fliw pattern lines… ugly as hell.
"Imitation diamonds" but yeah, way to flashy for my ears.

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #10,794 of 15,271
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/falcon1125.270951/

I’m flattered that you like the MDR-Z1R review I wrote too. But the reality is it’s the Sony House Sound. Many of us have had good luck with the IER-Z1R, 1A and the MDR-Z1R.

Be super careful if you remove the IER-Z1R cable!

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #10,795 of 15,271
I HAVE BEEN CHOSEN!!!

Received my Z1R today, slapped on the L silicon tips (i usually wear ML), hooked up to the Hiby FD3 with my iPhone....wore them for 1 hour and I felt like I had nothing in my ears at all! I was shocked bc my ears are usually picky about IEMs.

An early impression, FR sounds pretty good (I think burn in will help), but something stood out to me immediately. Listening to "Feel It Still" (acoustic version) - Portugal. The Man, in the middle of the song there is a rhythm guitar on the R side playing; I can't tell if it's just strumming, the pattern of the strumming, or if there is an overlay of that same guitar doing fret-work. I knew that the mids were light, but I don't think they're horrible; just something I noticed quickly.

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #10,796 of 15,271
I HAVE BEEN CHOSEN!!!

Received my Z1R today, slapped on the L silicon tips (i usually wear ML), hooked up to the Hiby FD3 with my iPhone....wore them for 1 hour and I felt like I had nothing in my ears at all! I was shocked bc my ears are usually picky about IEMs.

An early impression, FR sounds pretty good (I think burn in will help), but something stood out to me immediately. Listening to "Feel It Still" (acoustic version) - Portugal. The Man, in the middle of the song there is a rhythm guitar on the R side playing; I can't tell if it's just strumming, the pattern of the strumming, or if there is an overlay of that same guitar doing fret-work. I knew that the mids were light, but I don't think they're horrible; just something I noticed quickly.
Haha it’s a great feeling isn’t it. I feel sorry for those that the Z1R’s haven’t deemed worthy 😂 I can wear mine for hours without any issues.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #10,797 of 15,271
I’ve got the Blanche from Dunu. It is a marginal improvement in sound over stock and more comfortable (not that I had any problems with the stock cable) but I mostly got it for the swappable tips. I put it on no problem but have never taken it off again and don’t really have any intention of doing that but expect it will be a hassle, it has been with the other 3rd party cables I’ve tried (some more thn others)
Totally agree, as in mainly i want the better comfort and the plugs switching ! I saw your impression, I guess I shouldnt remove the cable too once I put it on. Will definitely let you know if I make the purchase!

I’m flattered that you like the MDR-Z1R review I wrote too. But the reality is it’s the Sony House Sound. Many of us have had good luck with the IER-Z1R, 1A and the MDR-Z1R.

Be super careful if you remove the IER-Z1R cable!
You have no idea how much I love your review! I somehow trust your preference once I saw AKG K701 and Denon D7000 in your inventory (Tried k701 and D5000 before).

I HAVE BEEN CHOSEN!!!
Speaking of been chosen/lucky, I was really concern to get this at first and actually wanted to get M9 instead, but there was no stock until October. So I told myself, maybe Z1R is meant to be for me.
Bought, Wait 2 weeks, Arrived, Try it on, and it fits!
Zero regret and happiness stats increase by +10!

Sep 1, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #10,798 of 15,271
Totally agree, as in mainly i want the better comfort and the plugs switching ! I saw your impression, I guess I shouldnt remove the cable too once I put it on. Will definitely let you know if I make the purchase!

You have no idea how much I love your review! I somehow trust your preference once I saw AKG K701 and Denon D7000 in your inventory (Tried k701 and D5000 before).

Speaking of been chosen/lucky, I was really concern to get this at first and actually wanted to get M9 instead, but there was no stock until October. So I told myself, maybe Z1R is meant to be for me.
I checked out the Donu Blanche… it looks great… and thought about those plug changes but I prefer the stock cable for the way it compliments the pearled finish, and the DDHIFI DJ44C is a sweet adapter. Having two pivot points—adapter in Walkman and plug in adapter—reduces any and all stress on the connections, and I never have to remove the headphones from their connectors unless I want them to display like cuff links again like new :)
But curious if you could have a friend randomize your cable with the same song and a blindfold on and let us know how you notice any sound profile change on the IER-Z1Rs. *virfually* everything I’ve read simply characterizes the differences in sound from cables in terms of psychosomatic projections from the color warmth of the metal or other conceptual calques. No shame at all if you can’t hear a difference, and no extra respect if you do, so that way you can evaluate it hyper critically. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #10,799 of 15,271
I’m 2 months with Z1R and they are my favorites.
Had missed my wm1a+ Oriolusba300S until tried it with r01 R-2-R from Cayin. This is a spectacular combination.

Placed my ba300s on sale. If you owner of WM1A/Z you definitely should give it a shot.

Also, wait for silver Master cable from Lavricables for z1r. Hope it will make them even better

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #10,800 of 15,271

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-ier-z1r.23390/reviews#review-21713

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-mdr-z1r.21971/reviews#review-21989

Which review, the MDR-Z1R or IER-Z1R? The IER was a blast to do. It’s my best review ever IMO. Got the IER in 2019 the week it came out, just put one aside. Purchased it even without trying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back