SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 23, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #8,266 of 15,271
Jul 23, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #8,267 of 15,271
I lift back ears then shove in.
same for me. Was just wondering maybe I inserted it incorrectly or something.

I'm kinda confused....if I use small tips (MS or S), I get a deep insertion and a snug fit; but I get pain after 1-2 hours.
If I use ML, I get less pain and the iem still sit snug/flush in my ears. Triple Comft ML feel the best, but I don't prefer its impact on the sound.

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #8,268 of 15,271
I'm kinda confused....if I use small tips (MS or S), I get a deep insertion and a snug fit; but I get pain after 1-2 hours.
If I use ML, I get less pain and the iem still sit snug/flush in my ears. Triple Comft ML feel the best, but I don't prefer its impact on the sound.
Maybe that's due to the insertion depth.
In my case, my left ear canal is smaller than the right side. But among the stock ear tips I got best fit with Hybrid M, while with Xelastec M for the right and MS for the left.
For this reason, I love the package I bought which includes one pair for each MS, M, and ML size. This covers 2 IEMs.

Jul 24, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #8,269 of 15,271
Maybe that's due to the insertion depth.
In my case, my left ear canal is smaller than the right side. But among the stock ear tips I got best fit with Hybrid M, while with Xelastec M for the right and MS for the left.
For this reason, I love the package I bought which includes one pair for each MS, M, and ML size. This covers 2 IEMs.
I use Xelastec SS for my left and S for my right. Stock I use MS for both (until I discover that ML gives me less pain).
So far, if I pull back my ears and insert until when I feel that the tip went through the outer canal = best comfort (still not as good as ML Triple Comfort).
I do love the Xelastec very much, they seal very well.

P/s: not sure if it's just my unit or by design, but if the Xelastec can slip easily into the ears, it'd provide a better comfort for me.
They have the same feel as the stock triple flanges of Etymotic ER2XR. Hard to use at first (not slippery), but after sometime, they just slide and fit. That's what I'm hoping for with these Xelastec.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #8,272 of 15,271
Comfortable Z1R is probably an oxymoron for most of us, but I managed to get mine to fit my ears comfortably so thought I'd share what I did just in case it might work for someone else.

Everybody's ear anatomy is slightly different so your mileage will vary but basically I needed the Z1R's nozzle to extend a little as well as curve upwards in order to fit my ear without any of the pressure points that were causing some tenderness. To achieve this, I used some thick heat shrink tubing that was sleeved over the IEM's nozzle then applied targeted heat to shrink and curve the tubing to my ear's liking. Anyways, this first attempt created a super comfortable fit and seal - resulting me being able to enjoy the music at about 5 to10 percent lower volume WM1Z.

(edit)
After having done this I found an interesting service that creates a much more professional looking tip that seems to achieve similar results:

Custom Z1R tips

DSC_3122-1-2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1891.jpg
    IMG_1891.jpg
    679.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    797.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #8,273 of 15,271
Hi guys, anyone tried to pair IER-Z1R with a Bluetooth cable like AKG N05BC or something like Fiio UTWS1? Is there any good pairing? I don't want to use separate Bluetooth devices like the ES100. Thanks guys.

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #8,274 of 15,271
I wonder, has anyone compared the listening experience of the IER-Z1R with the full-sized MDR-Z1R headphones? They are about the same price now, and I gather they both have the "Sony signature." I would consider getting one or the other (not both!) for in-home use. I do have a decent amp (Cavalli Liquid Carbon) but I really want something that will do ok with just an Audioengine or Dragonfly Red DAC attached to my laptop streaming Tidal premium files. I can always play with DAC/AMP stuff later on. Which is the more "immersive" experience, which gives the more visceral bass experience, etc? Any comparison thoughts?

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #8,275 of 15,271
I wonder, has anyone compared the listening experience of the IER-Z1R with the full-sized MDR-Z1R headphones? They are about the same price now, and I gather they both have the "Sony signature." I would consider getting one or the other (not both!) for in-home use. I do have a decent amp (Cavalli Liquid Carbon) but I really want something that will do ok with just an Audioengine or Dragonfly Red DAC attached to my laptop streaming Tidal premium files. I can always play with DAC/AMP stuff later on. Which is the more "immersive" experience, which gives the more visceral bass experience, etc? Any comparison thoughts?

I have both. I prefer the IER, I think it has better tuned treble, better bass definition/clarity, and is an overall more engaging listen. The MDR has a warmer tonality, more mid bass impact and lower mids are thicker. I find the treble less detailed on the MDR.

The thing that may be a dealbreaker on the IER is the fit. Try before you buy, or buy from somewhere that accepts returns. I find the MDR’s really comfortable for full-size hp’s. They’re lighter than they look.

In terms of dac/amp pairing, the IER-Z1R’s need a bit more power than an average IEM. However I’ve got a lotoo paw S1 USB dac/amp and that sounds great with the IER :)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #8,276 of 15,271
I also have the Ier-Z1r paired with hugo 2. It's amazing how it scales with the power/quality of the sources

Attachments

• IMG_4081.jpeg
    IMG_4081.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 26, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #8,277 of 15,271
After using custom silicone sleeves on my SE846 I could never go back to those silly foam things that last maybe a week and are garbage. Silicone - wash with soap and water and look just like new 5 years later (colored ones at least)

Jul 26, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #8,278 of 15,271
Did this last night..... ier Z1R is much better.... but it is going to be source dependent specifically power. Mojopoly: mdr vs ier delta less wide... Hugo 2 + 2go: ier significantly outperforms the mdr. The ier really scales and really need HP like power

Jul 26, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #8,279 of 15,271

If I had to choose only one it would have to be IER (provided you can get a good fit) but I would hate to have to choose and fortunately I don't have to. The IER like more power than most iem's though but I still find that it sounds fantastic with my 1Z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back