SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 20, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #8,236 of 15,271
Yes, please do, thanks.

Got the Technics TZ700 today, after a couple of hours of listening I have very preliminary impressions only, but so far I feel that the TZ700 could be more a replacement for the Z1R rather than the FW10k. A Japanese reviewer called the TZ7000 an FW10k with bass, but I disagree. The bass is definitely jumps out more, like how it does on the Z1R, but otherwise FW10k and TZ700 feel very different to my ears, but the latter is more similar to the Z1R.

Bass on TZ700 jumps up and expands forward toward you, like on the Z1R, except it does not envelope you as much as it does on the Z1R, whereas bass on the FW10k jumps out and forms a background on which the higher sounds rest (which feels like a more natural role for bass).

Also, FW10k is intimate and full-bodied, as the soundstage feels closer and fuller, and vocals/mids are even closer, as if you're sitting first row and center of the stage, whereas both TZ700 and Z1R are overall more recessed, allowing individual sounds to be more distinct (though potentially less cohesive than on FW10k). At the same time, mids are less recessed on TZ700 than on Z1R (sitting on the middle of the orchestra/dance floor/etc., but still closer to the stage than with the Z1R).

All of them are very technically advanced and detailed, with perhaps Z1R sounding slightly more detailed at times. TZ700 sometimes feels less engaging than FW10k, but at times it makes me move more than any other, similar to the MDR-Z1R. Overall FW10k may still be my personal favorite, but I'm very tempted to keep the TZ700 along with it for the time being.

At some point I want to do a more extensive comparison of all the Japanese TOTL IEMs (including A8000), but I want to get enough to listen to all for a long time for a more cool-headed comparison.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #8,237 of 15,271
Got the Technics TZ700 today, after a couple of hours of listening I have very preliminary impressions only, but so far I feel that the TZ700 could be more a replacement for the Z1R rather than the FW10k. A Japanese reviewer called the TZ7000 an FW10k with bass, but I disagree. The bass is definitely jumps out more, like how it does on the Z1R, but otherwise FW10k and TZ700 feel very different to my ears, but the latter is more similar to the Z1R.

Bass on TZ700 jumps up and expands forward toward you, like on the Z1R, except it does not envelope you as much as it does on the Z1R, whereas bass on the FW10k jumps out and forms a background on which the higher sounds rest (which feels like a more natural role for bass).

Also, FW10k is intimate and full-bodied, as the soundstage feels closer and fuller, and vocals/mids are even closer, as if you're sitting first row and center of the stage, whereas both TZ700 and Z1R are overall more recessed, allowing individual sounds to be more distinct (though potentially less cohesive than on FW10k). At the same time, mids are less recessed on TZ700 than on Z1R (sitting on the middle of the orchestra/dance floor/etc., but still closer to the stage than with the Z1R).

All of them are very technically advanced and detailed, with perhaps Z1R sounding slightly more detailed at times. TZ700 sometimes feels less engaging than FW10k, but at times it makes me move more than any other, similar to the MDR-Z1R. Overall FW10k may still be my personal favorite, but I'm very tempted to keep the TZ700 along with it for the time being.

At some point I want to do a more extensive comparison of all the Japanese TOTL IEMs (including A8000), but I want to get enough to listen to all for a long time for a more cool-headed comparison.
interesting. I see a used pair of the FW10k on eBay now for a very good price. I'm a little afraid that anything besides the Z1R is going to disappoint me at this point. The sound signature of the Z1R is exactly what I was looking for. I wish I could audition the TZ7000 and the FW10k. Maybe I eventually will.

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #8,238 of 15,271
Has anyone determined whether it's the JVC Spiral Dots or the Spinfits that are closer to the performance/sound of the stock Hybrid tips? The largest Hybrid tips aren't quite large enough to create a seal for me.

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #8,239 of 15,271
interesting. I see a used pair of the FW10k on eBay now for a very good price. I'm a little afraid that anything besides the Z1R is going to disappoint me at this point. The sound signature of the Z1R is exactly what I was looking for. I wish I could audition the TZ7000 and the FW10k. Maybe I eventually will.

For someone who loves the sound of the Z1R, I'd suggest considering the TZ700 as an alternative. As I said, the two offer similar sound experiences. And the Technics is lower cost, and many many times more comfortable to wear, so anyone who had fit or comfort issues with the Z1R should consider it even more.
I'd suggest FW10k if you want a more different sound experience.

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #8,240 of 15,271
For someone who loves the sound of the Z1R, I'd suggest considering the TZ700 as an alternative. As I said, the two offer similar sound experiences. And the Technics is lower cost, and many many times more comfortable to wear, so anyone who had fit or comfort issues with the Z1R should consider it even more.
I'd suggest FW10k if you want a more different sound experience.
I don't have fit or comfort issues with the Z1R, but they do stick out of my ears quite a bit more than probably the M9 would. The TZ700 looks they'd stick out quite a bit as well, and don't look all that comfortable to be honest, but maybe it's just how they appear..

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #8,241 of 15,271
I don't have fit or comfort issues with the Z1R, but they do stick out of my ears quite a bit more than probably the M9 would. The TZ700 looks they'd stick out quite a bit as well, and don't look all that comfortable to be honest, but maybe it's just how they appear..

lol are you sure you're looking at the right product? The TZ700 is a fraction of the size of the Z1R, and an even smaller fraction of the weight. You could swallow it like a pill, and makes the Z1R look like a behemoth.

It should be a very comfortable fit for virtually anyone, it fits like a cheap tiny earbud but with the sound quality comparable to the Z1R, it's crazy. I have not listened to the M9, but it is supposed to be a monitor-type earphone, whereas the TZ700 is more the fun or listening type like the Z1R.

Here's a pic of the two to contrast the size:

david_goliath.JPG

I'm not going to say on the Z1R thread that it's better, but it certainly has advantages. Of course, in terms of dazzling looks the Z1R has it beat by miles :p

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #8,242 of 15,271
lol are you sure you're looking at the right product? The TZ700 is a fraction of the size of the Z1R, and an even smaller fraction of the weight. You could swallow it like a pill, and makes the Z1R look like a behemoth.

It should be a very comfortable fit for virtually anyone, it fits like a cheap tiny earbud but with the sound quality comparable to the Z1R, it's crazy. I have not listened to the M9, but it is supposed to be a monitor-type earphone, whereas the TZ700 is more the fun or listening type like the Z1R.

Here's a pic of the two to contrast the size:

I'm not going to say on the Z1R thread that it's better, but it certainly has advantages. Of course, in terms of dazzling looks the Z1R has it beat by miles :p
Okay, you make some excellent points then. And yes, hard to believe with that smaller size that the sound rivals that of the Z1R. I take your word for it, just wish I could audition them. Lemme ask you this. If you were forced to keep just one of the three pairs, which would it be?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #8,243 of 15,271

Thank you for this, Umwelt, that's very helpful indeed. You are in a very lucky position to have free access to all these Japanese flagship IEM's. I love the Sony, and I'm not really looking for anything else right now, but I'm also an old Technics fan, and I'm sure they have an excellent product wirh the TZ700, so I'll keep it on my radar. Again, thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Jul 21, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #8,244 of 15,271
Thanks to @hshock76 , this tips are “Awesome” with IER Z1R.

It has excellent fit and comfort. The sound quality is excellent. It has deeper bass, more dynamic and micro details with sparkling trebles and better soundstage

The way I have always been observing tips and iems is that it can absorb a certain frequencies ranges based on it constructions and materials, and also how well it seal the ears. It results in variations in performances. Hence they are very important

Somehow these Tips IMO, don’t absorb any frequencies ranges, and allows the Z1R to unleash every littlest details/performances that is there

An excellent buy and totally recommended
F64787D5-46D1-412D-AF28-444C2E0D25CE.jpeg

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #8,245 of 15,271
Thanks to @hshock76 , this tips are “Awesome” with IER Z1R.

It has excellent fit and comfort. The sound quality is excellent. It has deeper bass, more dynamic and micro details with sparkling trebles and better soundstage

The way I have always been observing tips and iems is that it can absorb a certain frequencies ranges based on it constructions and materials, and also how well it seal the ears. It results in variations in performances. Hence they are very important

Somehow these Tips IMO, don’t absorb any frequencies ranges, and allows the Z1R to unleash every littlest details/performances that is there

An excellent buy and totally recommended
F64787D5-46D1-412D-AF28-444C2E0D25CE.jpeg
Thanks man. I got mine coming tmr. I can't get the perfect fit with the stock tips (good, not great).
Do you use the same size with stock S?

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #8,247 of 15,271
For me, the Z1R is peak hybrid and the qdc Anole VX is peak BA. I meant to sell one for my financial sanity, but I can't. My favourite changes by the day depending on mood.

The VX, being 10BA, has more raw detail and coherence. It's not like the Z1R is incoherent or unresolving; it's top tier. But the VX is the most detailed and coherent IEM I've ever heard. The VX also has more balanced mids, understandably. The VX has a deeper (top-to-bottom) soundstage, which I quite enjoy.

But the Z1R's sub-bass I just can't get over, along with the treble. The VX has well-extended treble (with the exception of a slight 7k spike). Yet the Z1R has so much treble. Not in a harsh manner, as if it's raised by several dBs. I mean there's so much treble information there, presented to your ears. The dynamics of the treble are unmatched. The Z1R has a wider soundstage. Imaging capabilities are a difficult one.

I'm a metalhead so if you put a gun to my head and forced me to pick one, I'd choose the Z1R, simply because it gives the bass drum so much impact, and makes the music (especially in double bass sections) much more lively. The Z1R is also the obvious choice for electronic music. But if I'm in an OCD mood for detail and resolution, I find myself on laser-focusing on fingers plucking guitar strings, for example. In that case, and more generally for acoustic music, the VX is the obvious choice.

IMO these are two complementary IEMs. But bravo, Sony.

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #8,250 of 15,271

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back