SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 19, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #8,221 of 15,271
Is it true that the Spinfit tips are an identical replacement of the stock hybrid tips? They don’t change the stock sound in any way? I’m reading that the only disadvantage to them are some added microphonics.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #8,222 of 15,271
I have the Z1R and am trying to buy an M9 right now. Overall, I think the M9 is the better IEM.

The Z1R has slightly better soundstage and definitely more natural subbass but the M9, IMO, has a much better FR (more pronounced mids and no sibilance). The M9s are the smoothest IEMs I've ever listened to and they fit really nice.
I’m interested in Z1R if ever you sell. I had the IER-M9 and loved em! Stock cable killed dynamics though, give it a shot with a CA Super Litz or Fiio LCD silver cable, pretty apparent improvement, at the expense of less diffused soundstage.

Also, 64 Audio Nio Bridges the tonal gap between Z1R and M9 very well imho, I think these are the real deal!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 19, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #8,223 of 15,271
...I had the IER-M9 and loved em! Stock cable killed dynamics though, give it a shot with a CA Super Litz or Fiio LCD silver cable, pretty apparent improvement, at the expense of less diffused soundstage.
Your comment made me re-try the IER-Z1R balanced cable with the M9. Nice! I had tried this combo before and liked it, but at the time I only had 1 IER-Z1R balanced cable. I recently bought a spare from Encompass and now it’s going to stay attached to the M9. I don’t own any 3rd-party cables so this will have to do, but I like what I’m hearing.

Jul 20, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #8,224 of 15,271
Your comment made me re-try the IER-Z1R balanced cable with the M9. Nice! I had tried this combo before and liked it, but at the time I only had 1 IER-Z1R balanced cable. I recently bought a spare from Encompass and now it’s going to stay attached to the M9. I don’t own any 3rd-party cables so this will have to do, but I like what I’m hearing.
So, maybe the IER-Z1R balanced cable is the best for the M9? Provides the improvement the FiiO LCD silver or Super Litz would provide, while retaining the wide soundstage?

Jul 20, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #8,225 of 15,271
I own both the M9 and Z1R and for me the Z1R is still my preferred IEM (I just love the sound from the IER-Z1R); however, the M9 is my favorite portable option out of all my headphones and earphones. It is, like you said, a really nice fit (I’m using Z1R hybrid tips on the M9 which work really nice for me since I’m so used to them with the Z1R for the majority of my listening). The M9s fit the ear so well and they blend in better than the Z1R when out and about. I almost exclusively use them with a Sony ZX507 DAP and the M9’s stock balanced cable (light cable with no microphonics); the m9 and the ZX507 are a great pairing.

But the Z1R will always be my preferred desktop at-home earphones.

Cheers,
Gus
What makes the Z1r "not portable" in your opinion? I even wear mine in the gym with zero issues.

Jul 20, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #8,226 of 15,271
What makes the Z1r "not portable" in your opinion? I even wear mine in the gym with zero issues.
I think the fitting nature of it is the problem. I have a deep insertion of the z1r (smallest tips) but most of them are still sticking out of my ears, probably due to my swallow canal. If I try to do some hard movement there is a sense that it could fall out.

Jul 20, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #8,227 of 15,271

For me it would be the bling and the price apart from the fact that after the advent of decent BT in ears I can no longer live with wires for portable. The Z1R plus 1Z is for hotel room/destination use. Portale is iPhone plus True wireless in ears

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #8,228 of 15,271
For me it would be the bling and the price apart from the fact that after the advent of decent BT in ears I can no longer live with wires for portable. The Z1R plus 1Z is for hotel room/destination use. Portale is iPhone plus True wireless in ears
Same, the Z1R is just too flashy for me. It just looks strangely out of place even if you look at it as jewelry.

Just ordered the M9 :D, got an open-box pair for $650

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #8,229 of 15,271
Same, the Z1R is just too flashy for me. It just looks strangely out of place even if you look at it as jewelry.

Just ordered the M9 :D, got an open-box pair for $650
$650USD? That’s amazing. Searching online, I can’t find an open box pair that went for anywhere near that.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #8,230 of 15,271
$650USD? That’s amazing. Searching online, I can’t find an open box pair that went for anywhere near that.
I'm in China right now. The new and used prices are really low here for sony products. Bought the Z1R here as well.

I even saw an M9 go for $450 (sadly it only came with the 3.5mm cable and was pretty scratched up)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back