SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 26, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #8,281 of 15,271
IMG_20200727_112112.jpg
IMG_20200727_112131.jpg

I use ADV custom silicon tips, and it worked great.

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #8,285 of 15,271
Hi, I was also considering this but wasn't sure how it affected the sound. Does this deepen or lengthen the distance between the ear drum and IEM vs using normal tips? How does it affect the sq? Thanks!

Yah, it lengthen the distance of port to ear drum.
But SQ wise, i can't figure much on difference / staging / more...

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #8,288 of 15,271
do they make this custom for IER Z1R???? looking at the site looks like tips are for their own IEMs??

how much more comfortable is this? isolation?

they make CM tips for all iem's, if it's not on the list from dropdown, you need to send in your ear impression along with the iem.

Since it's my first silicon CM, I say its about the same comfort level as my other acrylic CM. same for sound isolation.
It's little harder to get in and out cause silicon is soft with more surface resistance than acrylic.

Jul 27, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #8,289 of 15,271
My god....it's so comfortable. I used a smaller size than stock.

I'm not quite as thrilled with these tips as others. Yes, they certainly seal better for me than the stock tips, and as a result, bass is better, probably what it should be. But the highs, the treble, isn't quite as bright, the sound not as brilliant. The difference is subtle, but I notice it enough that I will probably not be using these. It's too bad. They're very comfortable. If the highs weren't quite as important to me as the lows, I'd use em. I think I'm going to stick to the stock hybrids. I'd consider CMs, but I'm afraid of how they might change the sound, as all tips besides the stock tips have seemed to change the sound for me.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #8,290 of 15,271
What do you all think about the difference in sound between the Triple Comfort and the Hybrid? The TC definitely do seem more comfortable, but the hybrid seem to reveal a higher level of detail, while sacrificing some of the thunder in the bass. But I suppose it's all subjective.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #8,291 of 15,271
I'm not quite as thrilled with these tips as others. Yes, they certainly seal better for me than the stock tips, and as a result, bass is better, probably what it should be. But the highs, the treble, isn't quite as bright, the sound not as brilliant. The difference is subtle, but I notice it enough that I will probably not be using these. It's too bad. They're very comfortable. If the highs weren't quite as important to me as the lows, I'd use em. I think I'm going to stick to the stock hybrids. I'd consider CMs, but I'm afraid of how they might change the sound, as all tips besides the stock tips have seemed to change the sound for me.

Well, I didn't notice much difference besides the usual "better sound when you get a better seal" type. I like it because it's comfortable for me since the stocks are not playing nice with my inner ear canal. But I had my Z1R since last week so I can't comment further. Maybe I'll notice more later on.

What do you all think about the difference in sound between the Triple Comfort and the Hybrid? The TC definitely do seem more comfortable, but the hybrid seem to reveal a higher level of detail, while sacrificing some of the thunder in the bass. But I suppose it's all subjective.

For me, TC messes with treble a bit (this I can hear it) and I didn't really like it. It's not a dramatic difference though. Because of its comfort level, and if I didn't have xelastec tips, I would stick with TC. After all, what's the point of having an awesome sound if I can not wear it comfortably. I do, however, prefer the sound of stock hybrid the most out of the three.

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #8,292 of 15,271
Well, I didn't notice much difference besides the usual "better sound when you get a better seal" type. I like it because it's comfortable for me since the stocks are not playing nice with my inner ear canal. But I had my Z1R since last week so I can't comment further. Maybe I'll notice more later on.

For me, TC messes with treble a bit (this I can hear it) and I didn't really like it. It's not a dramatic difference though. Because of its comfort level, and if I didn't have xelastec tips, I would stick with TC. After all, what's the point of having an awesome sound if I can not wear it comfortably. I do, however, prefer the sound of stock hybrid the most out of the three.
Thank you, that’s helpful. I guess I’m fortunate in that I’m not finding the hybrid uncomfortable and I get the best sound from them. Just wish the LL size ran slightly larger so that I could get an adequate seal. Without a good seal, the bass just isn’t what it should be.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #8,294 of 15,271
I have just received my IER-Z1R last week after a long wait, S/N 7395.
Before purchasing I read all available reviews and more all less all useful feedback in this forum, as these were not available to demo (or even imported) in my country. I decided to pull the trigger mostly based on my faith in SONY as I know their sound well and like it, I have owned the MDR-Z1R as well and my home hi-fi is also comprises of their signature series components HAP-S1, TA-A1ES amp and NA2-ES speakers which I also (bravely) bought "blind".
What surprised me is the huge variation of opinions on this forum, almost beyond "normal", and having heard them now for about 25 hours I though I should post my view on them.
My sources are the 1A sony DAP (balanced, firmware 3.02, low gain) and as a means of comparison also straight out of an iphone 11 dongle.
Other IEMS I own are the AKG i3003 (my reference iem for a long time), JH Roxanne custom and Final Audio Piano Forte

My first impressions are somewhat different to almost everything I have read so far.
This is an IEM which in search of one single word to describe it, I would call "refined".
I can hear the Sony sound, but only so slightly, a slight warmth.
Otherwise, in what I hear, nothing stands out, and I mean that as a compliment.
What I often dislike in expensive equipment is using a "shouty" signature in part of the frequencies to create an easy impression of something, bass, detail, sparkle, intimacy or whatever.
The Sony, on the contrary sounds perfectly balanced, the bass is fantastic but not overwhelming, the voices are natural and exactly where they should be in the mix, not overtly intimate but neither recessed as so many have described them, and detail, separation, and air is exemplary and exactly at the limit before entering into the over analytic sibilant zone.
So in one word, everything is there, nothing impresses as a single element, but this is clearly an expensive, advanced, complete sound. If I wanted to mention one "trick" that stands out is the spacial impression that this IEM creates which reminds the sound of a hi-fi rather that a headphone, let alone a monitor iem. This probably has something to do with the sound path that Sony has engineered in the headphone as well as the frequency response tuning which approximates how we hear music in space rather that in our ears.
I believe this is the first element that causes some controversy especially with voices as this is a different tuning to a "monitor" tuning, where voices as so upfront in the mix, and our generation is a little bit used in this type of tuning present is so many of the BA monitors.

Also, while the IEM upscales clearly with the 1A and balanced, it sounds just fine out of an iphone.
Its sound actually reminds me a little bit of the AKG i3003...but ten years later, especially in what regards BA technology and crossover points integration.
I have yet to see if and how it improves with the hours after burn-in.

The second very decisive element which causes this huge variation in opinions is probably the fit issue.
I have a perfect fit with these using the hybrid L seals, absolutely perfect.
As these are big iems I believe insertion and fit is even more critical that usual and from what I can see in pics not all posters have enjoyed such a straight forward fit out of the box.

So in summary: I havent noticed the mids to be recessed, and having tried different eqing curves I always return to the direct sound mode which sounds the most natural.
I havent noticed this to be a power hungry iem, I sounds fine straight out of an iphone, although it does upscale well.
I havent noticed any fit issues and the huge selection of tips Sony supplies made this very easy for me.
I havent noticed the bass to steal the show in a bad way, it is just a very well executed bass.
I find more differences than similarities with the MDR-Z1R, opposite to what many have posted here. There is a similar basic signature but it is executed so much better with the IER. Especially the bass.

And one final word: i dont hear the crossover points at all, which is a major compliment for an iem with 3 drivers and 2 different technologies, very impressive.

So for me, this was what I expected and more.
I hope this helps.

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #8,295 of 15,271
I have just received my IER-Z1R last week after a long wait, S/N 7395.
Before purchasing I read all available reviews and more all less all useful feedback in this forum, as these were not available to demo (or even imported) in my country. I decided to pull the trigger mostly based on my faith in SONY as I know their sound well and like it, I have owned the MDR-Z1R as well and my home hi-fi is also comprises of their signature series components HAP-S1, TA-A1ES amp and NA2-ES speakers which I also (bravely) bought "blind".
What surprised me is the huge variation of opinions on this forum, almost beyond "normal", and having heard them now for about 25 hours I though I should post my view on them.
My sources are the 1A sony DAP (balanced, firmware 3.02, low gain) and as a means of comparison also straight out of an iphone 11 dongle.
Other IEMS I own are the AKG i3003 (my reference iem for a long time), JH Roxanne custom and Final Audio Piano Forte

My first impressions are somewhat different to almost everything I have read so far.
This is an IEM which in search of one single word to describe it, I would call "refined".
I can hear the Sony sound, but only so slightly, a slight warmth.
Otherwise, in what I hear, nothing stands out, and I mean that as a compliment.
What I often dislike in expensive equipment is using a "shouty" signature in part of the frequencies to create an easy impression of something, bass, detail, sparkle, intimacy or whatever.
The Sony, on the contrary sounds perfectly balanced, the bass is fantastic but not overwhelming, the voices are natural and exactly where they should be in the mix, not overtly intimate but neither recessed as so many have described them, and detail, separation, and air is exemplary and exactly at the limit before entering into the over analytic sibilant zone.
So in one word, everything is there, nothing impresses as a single element, but this is clearly an expensive, advanced, complete sound. If I wanted to mention one "trick" that stands out is the spacial impression that this IEM creates which reminds the sound of a hi-fi rather that a headphone, let alone a monitor iem. This probably has something to do with the sound path that Sony has engineered in the headphone as well as the frequency response tuning which approximates how we hear music in space rather that in our ears.
I believe this is the first element that causes some controversy especially with voices as this is a different tuning to a "monitor" tuning, where voices as so upfront in the mix, and our generation is a little bit used in this type of tuning present is so many of the BA monitors.

Also, while the IEM upscales clearly with the 1A and balanced, it sounds just fine out of an iphone.
Its sound actually reminds me a little bit of the AKG i3003...but ten years later, especially in what regards BA technology and crossover points integration.
I have yet to see if and how it improves with the hours after burn-in.

The second very decisive element which causes this huge variation in opinions is probably the fit issue.
I have a perfect fit with these using the hybrid L seals, absolutely perfect.
As these are big iems I believe insertion and fit is even more critical that usual and from what I can see in pics not all posters have enjoyed such a straight forward fit out of the box.

So in summary: I havent noticed the mids to be recessed, and having tried different eqing curves I always return to the direct sound mode which sounds the most natural.
I havent noticed this to be a power hungry iem, I sounds fine straight out of an iphone, although it does upscale well.
I havent noticed any fit issues and the huge selection of tips Sony supplies made this very easy for me.
I havent noticed the bass to steal the show in a bad way, it is just a very well executed bass.
I find more differences than similarities with the MDR-Z1R, opposite to what many have posted here. There is a similar basic signature but it is executed so much better with the IER. Especially the bass.

And one final word: i dont hear the crossover points at all, which is a major compliment for an iem with 3 drivers and 2 different technologies, very impressive.

So for me, this was what I expected and more.
I hope this helps.

Have you had exposure to any, more recent totl IEM’s and especially hybrids?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back