SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 30, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #5,026 of 15,386
It's just firmware, so at best it has changed the DAC part of the 1Z. So you can use the 1Z (dac) with the TA (amp) and see how you like it. Perhaps report if you think it's better than the TA (dac + amp).

What makes that bold statement (literally and figuratively) be your opinion?

No, we were taking about strictly having the 1Z power the MDR. But.....as I saw he has the TA and 1Z, and MDR, I posted a note about feeling the TA was better. But your right the 1Z as a file server will have no effect on the TA, as the TA is the DAC/Amp.

I would never go 3.5mm to RCA our from the 1Z, as it’s double volume controls. The whole reason you get the TA is because it’s a DAC/Amp.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #5,027 of 15,386
No, but I will do that first thing in the AM, and report back. Also I’ve always felt the Sony MUC-B20SB1 Headphone Cable 4.4mm Pentaconn-3.5mm was bringing the MDR closer to perfection. So 3.02 will be tested with the cable. Again there is always going to be better ways to power the MDR than the 1Z, but cleaning up the low end with cables and firmware is a great start.

As having the MDR and TA yourself........I’m sure you know it’s hands down the better route to go with the MDR. Though for whatever reason the TA doesn’t seem to show it’s dark character with the MDR to me. Where the Z1 has maybe a bigger treble boost in it’s signature? But I don’t seem to notice a big contrast with comparison between the TA and 1Z in regards to that treble. It’s the power increase of the TA which seems to bring the better signal to the MDR. IMO?

Have you compared the TA & 1Z 3.02 with the IER’s? I’d be interested in hearing your opinion, as I currently own the TA and am considering getting the 1Z to replace my PHA-2A.

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #5,028 of 15,386
No, but I will do that first thing in the AM, and report back. Also I’ve always felt the Sony MUC-B20SB1 Headphone Cable 4.4mm Pentaconn-3.5mm was bringing the MDR closer to perfection. So 3.02 will be tested with the cable. Again there is always going to be better ways to power the MDR than the 1Z, but cleaning up the low end with cables and firmware is a great start.

As having the MDR and TA yourself........I’m sure you know it’s hands down the better route to go with the MDR. Though for whatever reason the TA doesn’t seem to show it’s dark character with the MDR to me. Where the Z1 has maybe a bigger treble boost in it’s signature? But I don’t seem to notice a big contrast with comparison between the TA and 1Z in regards to that treble. It’s the power increase of the TA which seems to bring the better signal to the MDR. IMO?

I prefer direct connect with the z1 using 4.4 balanced for both the mdr and ier. In fact I rarely use my TA. But that's for another thread...

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #5,029 of 15,386
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/damz87.511227/

To tell you the truth I use my 1Z the most. Assuming you do have the IER-Z1R.....the 1Z is maybe better now. Though it’s a subjective subject, which is really going to be dependent on taste? For the MDR the TA is always going to get the MDR more power. But also I don’t really use my MDR full-size headphones that much? I use the IER-Z1R and Encore IEMs with the 1Z.

That said, since the IER-Z1R and 1Z has always been a slight mismatch as far as I’ve been concerned. And....the TA always had the special X factor greater imaging. So no matter what you’ll always refer to the TA as having the best separation. The 1A used to be better with the IER as the bass was more controlled but now the 1Z is insane!!! Still 3.01 was great too, 3.01 will be the first firmware I’m going to miss a little. It was special.

TA Imaging and Separation:
Separation is a funny subject because it’s completely disconnected from tone. I recently heard some reel to reel copies in comparison to a vinyl copy and surprisingly it seemed the reel to reel tapes had better separation? And like that you’ll always think of the TA as having separation. But........the 1Z has a bigger treble boost. And now with this 3.01 firmware the bass is faster. The bass is now detailed in a way, recessed but clear. And that’s my problem, the pure BA Noble Audio Encore has been great with 3.01 but is probably going to now come-off bass light? Though I’m not going to be sure for weeks. It’s this giant soundstage that may just be the determination which makes the Encore and IER-Z1R work long term. What’s happening now is like the honeymoon phase of getting new equipment. It’s just a thrill that stuff sounds exciting and different. It’s now progress into it’s own level.....a new level of technicality......though how this all lasts long term in another concern.

So the 1Z has a new character. With some music it almost sounds not that different, but then with other music this new firmware sounds way different? I can’t explain why that would be except it takes great files way farther? Maybe dull files don’t make the most with what’s at a potential? I don’t know. But having the 1Z can allow you to also get more out of the TA too, as you can get the dock. I feel using a computer with USB seems to be a bottle neck to the TA.

Also if you get a 400MB card you will have around 690 GB of music in your hand.

The 1Z is less laid back than the TA. And strangely the TA has never changed but with each firmware the 1Z has put on a new tone. But I would say this is the most reserved the bass has ever been? Still the soundstage is amazing and it all goes together well.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #5,030 of 15,386
Have you compared the TA & 1Z 3.02 with the IER’s? I’d be interested in hearing your opinion, as I currently own the TA and am considering getting the 1Z to replace my PHA-2A.

I prefer direct connect with the z1 using 4.4 balanced for both the mdr and ier. In fact I rarely use my TA. But that's for another thread...

See.....everyone is different. A ton of people think the TA is too laid back, where I think it’s just almost too laid back? But it’s perfect with the Z7 and MDR with the aftermarket cable?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #5,031 of 15,386
Aug 30, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #5,032 of 15,386
Well, I never claimed SE846 sounded better. I simply said Z1R sounded unnatural/off after a quick A/B but then sounded good again once I was acclimated again. But you're darn right about SE846's comfort. I can easily fall asleep with those things on. :gs1000smile:

Sorry if that came across as me claiming you said they were better. That wasn’t my intention.

I only wanted to say that I didn’t notice the Z1Rs sounded any different after listening to my 846s. In fact, it made them sound better because of how narrow the soundstage is on the 846s to me now. Funny how before I got the Z1Rs, I couldn’t imagine any IEM sounding that much better than the 846s. I still love them and use them all the time. They were my first true love in the IEM game.

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #5,033 of 15,386
So about 5 DSD albums. Lolz.

Every brand of card is going to maybe format out slightly different. It’s actually 697GB if I remember right. But.......1TB cards are out too. This is just the combo of 400GB card and internal memory. But I only have a few DSD files....mostly 44.1-16 and 24bit files plus 192kHz-24bit. I’m pretty sure once I get a one TB card I will be set?

In the 70s I only had five albums for awhile. Now it’s confusing if I have 3000 songs. But the 1970s was the good old days.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #5,034 of 15,386
I just updated my 1A and didn’t need to use the Music Center. I simply downloaded it to my PC and ran the exe file. Boom, done.

Now I’ll go listen to some tracks I know like the back of my hand to see if I can notice any difference. I’ll report back in a bit.

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #5,035 of 15,386
Aug 30, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #5,036 of 15,386
I just updated my 1A and didn’t need to use the Music Center. I simply downloaded it to my PC and ran the exe file. Boom, done.

Now I’ll go listen to some tracks I know like the back of my hand to see if I can notice any difference. I’ll report back in a bit.
Peter would you mind post the link for the update as I don’t have music center.

Aug 30, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #5,038 of 15,386
Aug 31, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #5,039 of 15,386
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/jayf.404893/

screenshot_20170305_223901671.png
screenshot_20170305_224222633.png
screenshot_20170305_223930659.png
screenshot_20170305_223607340.png
screenshot_20170305_223701414.png
screenshot_20170305_223633280.png

The 3.01 is a nice improvement though I spend way less time with the MDR than my iems. I kinda have the MDR as a way to make sure I'm not missing anything by using iems. Though I have to say 3.02 made the IER surpass the MDR in my use? I used to think the MDR was a better combo than the IER, also I think iems are more comfortable......so that's one reason I use them? In so many ways it's impossible to compare the IER and MDR side by side. The MDR will always be able to do more stuff I feel. But iems offer a different experience?But in my view the 1Z drives the IER to perfection where, even great.....the MDR needs more from other amps? Though I know you prefer the 1Z combo over the TA.

It seems 3.02 is a bigger change to the IER?

MDR bass now is more pinpoint and localized. It's full of character and individual tone; meaning the bass is special for each song? Also there is a bigger soundstage.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #5,040 of 15,386
@Whitigir did you feel the M9 requires the same 200-hour burn-in as the IER-Z1R? I got a M7.

The BA Bass if the M7/M9 hears like DD bass but because a BA is still a BA they won't move the same volume of air as a DD, therefore as many gg as t sounds like DD bass, while ch is pretty impressive feat, it won't have the physical feeling and texture.of the bass of the IER-Z1R driver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back