SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 29, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #4,996 of 15,296
Hmmm :thinking: So I've been mostly listening to IER-Z1R for the past several weeks which I freakin love, and today, I pulled out my old SE846 (spinfit/oriveti affinity 4.4) and did a quick A/B. Switching back after a quick session, the Z1R sounded/felt very unnatural/synthesized with quite recessed mids. I was surprised. Then after 5-10 minutes, they sounded really good again. Now I'm wondering if A/Bing is a good way to audition new IEMs? Once you get used to a certain sound signature, maybe my brain perceives them as right/ideal sound? Or maybe it was just pronounced due to SE846's forward mids? Anyways, it was just weird how wrong Z1Rs sounded for a minute.

After reading your post, I came home and fired up my SE846s and plugged them into my WMA1 using the balanced 4.4mm.

All I got was a good sounding IEM with slightly more forward mids, nearly nonexistent lows and acceptable highs. I decided to take it a step further and plugged them into my Fiio Q5 and connect to my phone via BT and I think the sounded better than when using the WM1A.

Either way, the Z1R simply does everything better. Well, excluding comfort because the SE846s are damn comfortable.

I do find it a bit peculiar that the SE846s performed slightly better with the Q5 than my WM1A. I’ll probably end up using 846s with my Q5 or the iPhone with dongle while on the go. At home and the office I’ll use the WM1a and Z1Rs.

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #4,997 of 15,296
After reading your post, I came home and fired up my SE846s and plugged them into my WMA1 using the balanced 4.4mm.

All I got was a good sounding IEM with slightly more forward mids, nearly nonexistent lows and acceptable highs. I decided to take it a step further and plugged them into my Fiio Q5 and connect to my phone via BT and I think the sounded better than when using the WM1A.

Either way, the Z1R simply does everything better. Well, excluding comfort because the SE846s are damn comfortable.

I do find it a bit peculiar that the SE846s performed slightly better with the Q5 than my WM1A. I’ll probably end up using 846s with my Q5 or the iPhone with dongle while on the go. At home and the office I’ll use the WM1a and Z1Rs.

Well, I never claimed SE846 sounded better. I simply said Z1R sounded unnatural/off after a quick A/B but then sounded good again once I was acclimated again. But you're darn right about SE846's comfort. I can easily fall asleep with those things on. :gs1000smile:

Aug 29, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #4,998 of 15,296
Well, I never claimed SE846 sounded better. I simply said Z1R sounded unnatural/off after a quick A/B but then sounded good again once I was acclimated again. But you're darn right about SE846's comfort. I can easily fall asleep with those things on. :gs1000smile:

The Z1R stock do have an unnatural timbres due to the stock Acoustic foams, hence why I modified mine.

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #4,999 of 15,296
Looks like firmware update was made for IER-Z1R for use with the Walkmans?

3.02 Though I had to use Sony MusicCenter to install it?

“Curiosity got the best of me.......so I updated with MusicCenter. The bass is for-sure more integrated........though it will take time to understand. My biggest notice was the soundstage and imaging....which is more spread-out. Spacious and holding better separation of elements.............which does do a thing with vocals. Vocals separated and objectified due to clarity? But.......yes this is due to a relocation of lower frequency prioritization......it's almost less warm but smooth enough?

Probable that the humongous soundstage will keep me here with the 1Z.......though it worries me what less bass with the 1A will be like?”

https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/digital-music-players-nw-wm-series/nw-wm1z

Edit:
My God. The software is absolutely made to join the two (1Z and IER-Z1R). Perfectly together now in every way. They are now both complete.
Sony is finished..... for now.

I almost feel like using the word “destroy”.........but I will refrain. :)

My mouth is still dropped?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #5,000 of 15,296
If anyone noticed I always preferred the 1A and IER-Z1R combo, though now the 1Z and IER-Z1R is absolutely perfect. I can’t believe anyone would not be in amazement!

This new software brings both products into a new different mindbending level. I had no idea this was even possible?

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #5,001 of 15,296
If anyone noticed I always preferred the 1A and IER-Z1R combo, though now the 1Z and IER-Z1R is absolutely perfect. I can’t believe anyone would not be in amazement!

This new software brings both products into a new different mindbending level. I had no idea this was even possible?
Ths for impression on new Fw. Now my combo will be really shining :)))

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #5,002 of 15,296
Ths for impression on new Fw. Now my combo will be really shining :)))

I don’t know? I guess this stuff is in the FW details? I feel like I have not only a new DAP but also new IEMs and they were made to go together in a way I never guessed possible? This is the biggest thing to happen in years?

Sorry for overreacting? It’s just that there is nothing to not like. Bigger soundstage, better midrange and wonderful synergy across the board making everything more well rounded. It’s Christmas unexpectedly and free!
C6CFB992-C791-44C3-82D4-E528028D9A9D.jpeg

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #5,003 of 15,296

I was about to decide whether I should put the IER-Z1R on the forsale forum or needing to play around with EQ on the recessed mid range which I hate. Are you saying that they retune the 1Z with the new FW so the mid range is no longer recessed?

Aug 30, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #5,004 of 15,296
This thread's been busy for the last couple of weeks, but its clear that overall impression is mostly positive.

It was quite stark difference from the endless debate in MDR-Z1R thread, from start to finish, busy traffic, but full of useless noise.

I Followed both from each of the thread's inception till now, nice to know Sony got an overall hit in their IER line.

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #5,007 of 15,296
I was about to decide whether I should put the IER-Z1R on the forsale forum or needing to play around with EQ on the recessed mid range which I hate. Are you saying that they retune the 1Z with the new FW so the mid range is no longer recessed?

First off, I’m not a true believer in EQ. Meaning I believe IEMs have an intrinsic tone their own. Out of my whole collection I only EQ the Encore just slightly. And........firmware is confusing to me as I’m guessing that it’s rearranging sonic elements in a different way than EQ. Some of the character changes going from 3.01 to 3.02 do sound like EQ changes, but to me it’s more like an imaging tone. Meaning that it’s not just frequency but how whole images stand in the soundstage in relationships to where they were in 3.01? I guess you would call it positioning but also tone character in the positioning.

So if this soundstage was rearranged it’s like the subjects are moved in the painting which causes their aspect in positioning to appear different. When this happens it’s drawing detail and information beyond frequency response.

1) Yes, frequency is different, less focus on low end more focus on mids.

2) Positions in the soundstage effect understanding of sonic elements.

The placement at times is somehow going along to make the frequency change sound both more natural but also adding what’s different from 3.01 to 3.02? There is less bass than 3.01 but it sounds perfect.

I’m just guessing here, but as far as soundstage there can be new and fantastic positions now. One song I use has a set of high pitched bells. These bells now have their own space way up high in the soundstage like there has been air added? Then the bells are also positioned where there is nothing around them so they now become like holograms?

Still there are people who are never going to gel with the mids here. My review talks about that. It really is on a person to person basis. Myself.....I’m super sensitive to forward mids. The Encore is actually neutral with a hidden bass that is slightly boosted when it appears. But no lower midrange which then puts focus on the neutral mids, making you think they are midcentric-forward but they are not. The Sony sound does take mid frequency away to gets it’s overall style. Though this 3.02 has such a sculpture of mid-information though not forward. It’s just spacing of mid-information which is now creating these sound objects that are way way outside and also thick so you can notice more of the midrange?

But yes.........changing from 3.01 to 3.02......it’s the same as if you EQ the lower midrange and bass away all you can be left with in midrange and treble. Only I personally believe if the firmware does it, it’s natural? Who knows?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #5,008 of 15,296

You have both the 1Z and IER-Z1R. I could not update with the regular links but had to use MusicCenter to do it. Also give yourself time with the combo to fully realize what’s going on. It’s like a new DAP and headphones.

I suspect this new tone is also somehow depending on a new level of detail found. Somehow Sony is using detail and imaging placement as a staging device beyond frequency tuning. IMO

The end result is both a new sculpture in sound, and new tone from both devices. It’s perfect. IMO.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #5,009 of 15,296
For which devices is this new firmware? Is it only the 1a and 1z?

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #5,010 of 15,296
For which devices is this new firmware? Is it only the 1a and 1z?

Whenever they do an update it’s for the ZX300, the 1A and 1Z.

Though success depends on what your subjectively after....and what IEMs you use. I have not changed from 3.01 on my 1A, don’t think I will.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back