SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 12, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #153 of 15,280
Maybe there’s a smaller version as this looks a bit too big on that models ear for example? She looks like she’s been violated in some sense.
Just when you think IEMs are getting smaller , Sony comes out with this.
Hopefully the 1ZR is light enough that it can held in the ear with Sony tips and doesn’t need as other part of the conchae to be held in place.

There's no smaller version. The mid-low frequencies are handled by a 12mm dynamic driver that's why it is big, you make it smaller you then have to change that driver which would in turn change the tuning, then it's not the same phone.

Oct 13, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #154 of 15,280
Mikey likes 'em! :ksc75smile:

My current reference is Audeze LCD-i4 terminated to 4.4mm Pentaconn driven by gold Sony Walkman. The short time I had at RMAF with the IER-Z1R already tells me Z1R will be my new reference IEM.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #155 of 15,280
This is going on memory of my audition with them but if I remember correctly the treble had a very silky yet extreme quality to it. Very refined treble on these the mids was smooth yet had a very detailed imagery. The bass end had the full on textured boldness and deep. The use of space on the earphones was what separated these from the others at the show it is special. Never heard the space that is on these earphones. These have a larger housing for a reason. They fit amazingly well for my medium sized ears. Smaller ears might have some trouble but they weren't as heavy as they look. I didn't have any issues with fit at all. They definitely fit better than my Z5 that is for sure. It is like they took the sound signature of the Z5 and tweeked and refined the heck out of it added a more fuller dimensional mid section. Refined the treble and the bass to a degree and then figured out how to get that sound to mimic floor speakers using that space I was talking about. Sprinkle some magic Sony dust and whala. You have the IER-Z1R in a nut shell.

The sound signature is not neutral. They are most definitely a colored sound but damn do they sounded amazing. It wasn't that the other in ears I heard at the show didn't sound great.
These pull off a better believable 3D stage than anything else I heard at the show. I knew I wanted a pair on first listen.

M7 is the more accurate monitor like sound signature out of the 3 and by far the most boring. But some guys like that. Fans of the old EX600 might like these a lot. There are much better offerings for the price these will be sold at however. The M9 did sound similar to my ears to the Andromeda tuning. Shimmery treble, smooth detailed mids and full on bass with a wider stage than the M7.. Both these sounded like in ears. They didn't separate themselves from the rest of the show.

The IER-Z1R. Most definitely did.

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #156 of 15,280
Oct 13, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #157 of 15,280
I am very hot for the IER-Z1R as well... looks very promising...
The ZX300 is blowing me away in fact, even compared to DX200...Sony is on the roll!

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #158 of 15,280
I posted some quick impressions from my brief time with the IER-Z1R at IFA, with some good close-up shots: https://www.thesynops.com/ifa-2018-impressions-closeups/ (scroll towards the bottom)

The width of the soundstage was just amazing. I was like OMG to the rep after a few seconds of listening. The sound doesn't just go out, but down too. Haven't heard anything like it from an IEM before.

The bass and the treble were the next best parts, both are so rich. However, as you can read in my comments in the post, I didn't find the mids-to-treble region as perfect and clean. And I tried different tracks out of the WM1Z they supplied, trying to concentrate on this region to confirm it. But to be fair, it's not enough time with the IEM for conclusions, just first impressions. Hopefully I can get my hands on it for a proper review!

Oh, and I'd tell people to not worry about the fit. The earpieces are no doubt big (and I'm someone who's particular about earphone fit), and you do feel them on your ears, but they weren't uncomfortable or hard to create a good canal seal. It was very natural-fitting to my ears.

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #159 of 15,280
I posted some quick impressions from my brief time with the IER-Z1R at IFA, with some good close-up shots: https://www.thesynops.com/ifa-2018-impressions-closeups/ (scroll towards the bottom)

The width of the soundstage was just amazing. I was like OMG to the rep after a few seconds of listening. The sound doesn't just go out, but down too. Haven't heard anything like it from an IEM before.

The bass and the treble were the next best parts, both are so rich. However, as you can read in my comments in the post, I didn't find the mids-to-treble region as perfect and clean. And I tried different tracks out of the WM1Z they supplied, trying to concentrate on this region to confirm it. But to be fair, it's not enough time with the IEM for conclusions, just first impressions. Hopefully I can get my hands on it for a proper review!

Oh, and I'd tell people to not worry about the fit. The earpieces are no doubt big (and I'm someone who's particular about earphone fit), and you do feel them on your ears, but they weren't uncomfortable or hard to create a good canal seal. It was very natural-fitting to my ears.
Nice write write-up, I've got to hear these things!

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #160 of 15,280

Thanks for the impressions. If others can also confirm what you say about the mids I think I‘ll wait for a 2.0 version in a few years :wink: But let‘s see (and listen for ourselves as soon as we have the possibility)

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #161 of 15,280
Thanks for the impressions. If others can also confirm what you say about the mids I think I‘ll wait for a 2.0 version in a few years :wink: But let‘s see (and listen for ourselves as soon as we have the possibility)

You'll be waiting a long time. The IER-Z1R will be the IEM flagship for at least 4 years, maybe more.

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #162 of 15,280
Does anyone know if Sony is done tuning these? Maybe there’s time to tweak the midrange before final production.

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #164 of 15,280
I think it's done. Production has been delayed because of the super typhoon that hit Japan a few weeks ago.
Ah, thank you!

Oct 14, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #165 of 15,280
You'll be waiting a long time. The IER-Z1R will be the IEM flagship for at least 4 years, maybe more.
Maybe, but thanks goodness there are other great IEMs out there to play with until then :wink:
But as said, I might hear it differently and for me they are prefect. Let’s wait and listen for ourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back