SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 10, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #121 of 15,280
I would be very careful with these websites. Again, this is not the official EU price, but rather a fishy online shop. If you try and it works, let me know. :)
I thought Accessoryjack is a well known audio webshop. But what do I know. I don´t have the money anyways for a new IEM :wink: ... and first of all I´ll wait for reviews (of reviewers I trust)

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #122 of 15,280
There no such thing as HK version, all are made in Japan
HK version as to HK official release and with HK warranty, and stock coming from HK Sony, accessoryjack is a HK base company.

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #123 of 15,280
I thought Accessoryjack is a well known audio webshop. But what do I know. I don´t have the money anyways for a new IEM :wink: ... and first of all I´ll wait for reviews (of reviewers I trust)

Well, I am, compared to many others here, a newbie. If it is well known company, then I am sure there might be some European customers in this forum buying from them.

Oct 10, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #124 of 15,280
Well, I am, compared to many others here, a newbie. If it is well known company, then I am sure there might be some European customers in this forum buying from them.
look, if someone wants to risk a „complicated“ warranty but safe a few hundred bucks, then it’s good deal I guess. I too bought equipment from overseas and (luckily) had never problems or warranty issues and saved (when I bought my DAP) about 500 bucks. So the risc is up to the buyer.

Oct 10, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #125 of 15,280
Do you have a preference towards DD or hybrids? I typically like hybrids over BA IEMs, but when I got to audition the U12t and Trio for a week, I preferred the U12t when I could get a good seal. The trio is more musical and has that nice DD sound, but I liked the U12t more because of the larger, but not too large soundstage, clarity, and layering.

The z1r sounds like it could be something I like as I prefer musical over pure neutral, but I'd like more feedback about the clarity and layering of sound. I've had IEMs and headphones that were too musical with muddy bass, sub bass that the decay was too long, or mids that were too recessed. I used to prefer a V shaped signature, but now I prefer a very slight V signature with good mids, but not too much mids and muddy bass (which is why I'm not a HD650 fan).

And my biggest concern is fit. Maybe with the additional sizes of triple comfort tips, the ML could be what I need. But as of right now, I am neither a M or L for triple comfort tips. They are really great tips for sound, but I just can't get the right fit with them with my z5. I don't know which one is heavier or longer between the z5 and the z1r, but just looking at the z1r, the z5 looks longer, but the z1r looks much heavier which concerns me. I may have to go to a can jam to try these out as I doubt that a retailer will allow me to return them once used. We do have a rather large sony store here so I am hoping that they will have a set to demo. Or there's a possible trip to japan that my girlfriend keep talking about. The only problem is that I never tell her how much these things cost and I don't want her to see the price if she sees me trying them on and looking at how much they are.

I had written these off when I first saw pics of them, but the reviews have pulled me back in. I still doubt that I will buy them, only because of my concerns of fit. I have no doubt that I would like the sound, but there's other IEMs that I could like as well and going with a ciem ensures that I don't have to worry about fit. I am at the point of buying a totl IEM and avoiding head fi for a few years like I did before, but because of neck pain, I wanted to go away from full sized cans and go all in with a great IEM setup..

Yes, I almost invariably will choose a DD over a BA. DDs in general just come across as more natural sounding to me, and honestly not merely for bass, but more so in the treble regions. Take these impressions seriously in as much as you can trust the ephemeral memory of someone having an also ephemeral experience with them in a loud environment. Studies show that our memory is malleable, and that we actually change it every time we revisit it. Nevertheless, enough with the disclaimers! I shall proceed with a stunning recollection.

The clarity on the Sony IER-Z1R (Just love typing that without looking at the keyboard) was superb in so much that I perceived a blackness, or air around the instruments, and you will be able to tell each instrument very distinctly from the others via location/depth and correctness in timbre. I certainly heard more detail and layering in these than I recall hearing with the Shure KSE 1500. This leads me to the next statement. They present details like an electrostatic headphone, way more than you've ever heard, but in an effortless way. You will be able to hear loud and soft sounds within the sound field simultaneously, indicating a high dynamic range, and it's all done without working a sweat. Also critical and important to me is decays. The decays on this IEM are very natural. They are not artificially cut short to sound clean. The Sony doesn't need that trick to sound clear. You will hear the natural progression of a note from it's appearance to disappearance within the blackness. A lot of these aforementioned attributes, I suspect, add up to creating an IEM that impressed me not just for vastness in width and depth of its soundstage, but in it's forward projection, and convincing realism.

Yep, the Sony can be described with the elusive term musical. I heard no muddy bass, nor recessed mids.

Tell us how the bass is in comparison to the Z5, also let us know how they fit.

I have not heard the Z5s. One nitpick I had with the Sony IEM was that it kept becoming loose in my ears, and I continually had to rotate and twist them for a secure fit. Once in they were comfortable, but with a loose fit the sound lost body and treble became sightly tinny. I think it's because my ears are quite small, and I used them with Medium sized tips, so couldn't properly sit them for too long. I usually wear small for all my IEMs.

Oct 10, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #126 of 15,280
Yes, I almost invariably will choose a DD over a BA. DDs in general just come across as more natural sounding to me, and honestly not merely for bass, but more so in the treble regions. Take these impressions seriously in as much as you can trust the ephemeral memory of someone having an also ephemeral experience with them in a loud environment. Studies show that our memory is malleable, and that we actually change it every time we revisit it. Nevertheless, enough with the disclaimers! I shall proceed with a stunning recollection.

The clarity on the Sony IER-Z1R (Just love typing that without looking at the keyboard) was superb in so much that I perceived a blackness, or air around the instruments, and you will be able to tell each instrument very distinctly from the others via location/depth and correctness in timbre. I certainly heard more detail and layering in these than I recall hearing with the Shure KSE 1500. This leads me to the next statement. They present details like an electrostatic headphone, way more than you've ever heard, but in an effortless way. You will be able to hear loud and soft sounds within the sound field simultaneously, indicating a high dynamic range, and it's all done without working a sweat. Also critical and important to me is decays. The decays on this IEM are very natural. They are not artificially cut short to sound clean. The Sony doesn't need that trick to sound clear. You will hear the natural progression of a note from it's appearance to disappearance within the blackness. A lot of these aforementioned attributes, I suspect, add up to creating an IEM that impressed me not just for vastness in width and depth of its soundstage, but in it's forward projection, and convincing realism.

Yep, the Sony can be described with the elusive term musical. I heard no muddy bass, nor recessed mids.

I have not heard the Z5s. One nitpick I had with the Sony IEM was that it kept becoming loose in my ears, and I continually had to rotate and twist them for a secure fit. Once in they were comfortable, but with a loose fit the sound lost body and treble became sightly tinny. I think it's because my ears are quite small, and I used them with Medium sized tips, so couldn't properly sit them for too long. I usually wear small for all my IEMs.

Yeah I figured you were a DD kinda guy based on your review. I do prefer hybrids because I do like the DD sound too, but not just DD alone. I also like a musical sound, but not too much as I really hate the HD650 sound signature (muddy bass issues also ruin it for me).

My main concern is fit. I had fit issues with the EX1000 (and hot treble issues as well) and the Z5 which I like the sound, but I just can't get stop messing with them. I'd really like to put my IEMs in for at least 45 minutes to an hour at a time without having to take them out because it itches or loses it's seal. When I have to play with them every 5 to 10 minutes it's a problem as I can't get into a good groove when listening to an album as I have to fiddle with them every song or every other song or if I'm watching a movie on the computer and have to keep pausing the movie because of fit issues. I am hoping that the almost flagship sony store here will get them in and will let me try them on. Even if everyone crowns them as the new best IEM, if I have fit issues and I think there could be a good chance of it because of it's weight and how far it extends compared to most IEMs, I just can't justify owning it. I'll settle for something else if I must because I am tired of my fit issues with sony IEMs.

Which tips did the sony's demo with? Silicone or Triple comfort? Triple comfort really makes IEMs sound their best, but can also not be the most comfortable although it could be because I am way too big for medium and slightly too small for large. Maybe the ML triple comfort tips would be perfect for me. But the weight and shape of the IER-Z1R makes me think that I'll still have fit problems with it. I'd like to see more pics of it in people's ears from the side so I can see how far out it extends. I've only seen maybe 2 pics and they looked borderline too wide like the Z5 and that's a lighter IEM and since it is a heavy IEM, I think that it might keep getting loose even with the proper size tips.

Oct 10, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #127 of 15,280
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/vegasf1.375296/

11E23481-D265-477D-AB50-39DFD239CD11.jpeg
6A2E1F9A-9DFD-4558-8DD4-D6D36B4DB9D9.jpeg
EE2AC5AE-C57C-4E74-BDE7-AE71D70AA53D.jpeg
F5AC2ED5-507B-40BD-AC52-8F06FB1F96B3.jpeg
6F49CA2D-4F7D-4B77-B060-52093874F567.jpeg
7E22B376-7DEB-48E1-AF9A-891FAF2E73BF.jpeg
856F9792-B864-42C9-A338-45BD9172C814.jpeg

The model seems to have small ears which makes them seem bigger. IMO.

Though they laughably apear big on everyone?

The N3 has almost the same form having the DD in the rear and it’s one of the most comfortable IEMs. Of course the IER-Z1R is way bigger and more heavy than the N3.

There may be a way to get the M-L Triple Comfort Tips now as they come with the IER-Z1R. I found the L Triple Comfort Tips to get the Z5 to stay in place. The after market cable and Triple Comfort Tips have finally made the Z5 work for me. Though I’m about 90% sure I’m pre-ordering the IER-Z1R.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #128 of 15,280

The model seems to have small ears which makes them seem bigger. IMO.

Though they laughably apear big on everyone?

The N3 has almost the same form having the DD in the rear and it’s one of the most comfortable IEMs. Of course the IER-Z1R is way bigger and more heavy than the N3.

There may be a way to get the M-L Triple Comfort Tips now as they come with the IER-Z1R. I found the L Triple Comfort Tips to get the Z5 to stay in place. The after market cable and Triple Comfort Tips have finally made the Z5 work for me. Though I’m about 90% sure I’m pre-ordering the IER-Z1R.

Yeah they do look big on everyone's ears. I think they are just big and will still look big on everyone else's ears. The cable might be the key to it not falling off if the memory wire is comfortable and still holds it in place. I never thought I'd consider these as I wanted to go CIEM with my next purchase, but everyone can't be wrong about these. I really hope the sony store in Las Vegas will have them. I don't want to spend that amount of money and have it be unwearable even if it sounds incredible. I think there's a big headphone even coming up in some asian country too. That will certainly get more reviews around here if there is one.

The housing is really huge and must lead to the 3D large soundstage that everyone is talking about.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #129 of 15,280

There was a debut for Sony Singapore a couple of days ago? I agree though.........it is a ton of money if they don’t fit right. Though the difference is that there are multiple “perfect” resting spots where the IEM seems to rest on the ear? It’s not like the Z5 where a USB stick had to somehow float in thin air. I somehow like the ergonomics I’m seeing in the pictures.

Note second photograph shows an aftermarket cable?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #130 of 15,280

There was a debut for Sony Singapore a couple of days ago? I agree though.........it is a ton of money if they don’t fit right. Though the difference is that there are multiple “perfect” resting spots where the IEM seems to rest on the ear? It’s not like the Z5 where a USB stick had to somehow float in thin air. I somehow like the ergonomics I’m seeing in the pictures.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that. That isn't a standard mmcx connector, is it? Hope it's not like Obravo with a proprietary connector design.

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #131 of 15,280
Yeah, I've been wondering about that. That isn't a standard mmcx connector, is it? Hope it's not like Obravo with a proprietary connector design.

It is standard MMCX

I don’t especially like MMCX......but what are you going to do? I’ll still buy em.

The way you deal with it is never change cables more than once or twice.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #132 of 15,280

That is Sony's own Kimber Kable, so not really aftermarket.

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #133 of 15,280

Users who are viewing this thread

Back