SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 10, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #1,412 of 15,290
I was pleasantly surprised how good the IER-Z1R was out of an IPod Touch as well as the Apple Dongle Thingy.

Mar 10, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #1,413 of 15,290
Don't be so cheapskate lah, using a Shanling M0 with the Z1R. Andromeda is super easy to push. I get more sibilance with the Andromeda than the Z1R.

Well, at least we are now given to know that the Shanling M0 fails to drive the IER-Z1R in a decent way.:)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #1,414 of 15,290
Of course I know that. I have one right beside me. The key point with the Andro is the right output impedance. You get that sorted out, it will be fine.

You can have a "weaker" source but with the right output impedance, you will get good (I won't say incredible) sound.

And that's why I don't recommend CA iems in general because of this sensitivity. The sound signature changes too much, and you have to consider real hard if you ever decide to upgrade your source.

But with the Z1R, you don't have sensitivity issues meaning in general you can be assured that sound will improve if you upgrade your source.

FYI, the Andro with the WM1Z was too dark, but with my cheaper A&K, it sounded just right. You don't have to go big with the Andro, just pick the the right output impedance. The Z1R, you have to go big, otherwise it will not sound right.

So then what's the minimum price I need to pay for a DAP to get enough out of the Z1R to clearly beat my Andromeda S + Galaxy S8 combo?

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #1,415 of 15,290
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/candlejack.166465/

Well, the 1A is an insanely good joining DAP. Due to the addition of 1Z character which the IER-Z1R brings to the table, it creates a perfect tone with the 1A. Faster bass, and amazing synergy. IMO.

Pretty sure the two are going to become legendary?

Mar 10, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #1,416 of 15,290
So then what's the minimum price I need to pay for a DAP to get enough out of the Z1R to clearly beat my Andromeda S + Galaxy S8 combo?

Have you try a z1r out of your phone? I dont think its good, but it really isnt that bad neither. Oriolus makes a portable tube amp that pairs well with the z1r, and thats only $350 bucks.

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #1,417 of 15,290

Trial and error. Go listen with the WM1A/Z, get a idea what Sony's benchmark is. Then try others and see how "low" can you get.

Good thing with Sony, because they cover all ends of the system. You know what their benchmark sound is. You can can hear what they are aiming for.

Everyone's use case scenario is different. Some can deal with listening straight out of their phones because they have a desktop system at home for more serious listening.

But if your phone is going to be your one and only source, then you just gotta find a portable enough amp to sync with your phone. Or simply don't get the the Z1R at all, find an easier iem to drive.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #1,418 of 15,290
Have you try a z1r out of your phone? I dont think its good, but it really isnt that bad neither. Oriolus makes a portable tube amp that pairs well with the z1r, and thats only $350 bucks.
Trial and error. Go listen with the WM1A/Z, get a idea what Sony's benchmark is. Then try others and see how "low" can you get.

The Z1R is not available in Europe yet and based on my research, it's gonna be really difficult to find a place to try them out. :frowning2: And if I can't audition them, then I won't buy them because it seems like no shop in Europe allows returning IEMs (for hygienic reasons).

[...]But if your phone is going to be your one and only source, then you just gotta find a portable enough amp to sync with your phone. Or simply don't get the the Z1R at all, find an easier iem to drive.

It doesn't have to be the phone, but I know what the Andromeda can do from a phone, so the Z1R would have to completely blow my mind for me to pay the extra 1000 Euro for it PLUS another 2000 for the DAP.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #1,419 of 15,290
The Z1R is not available in Europe yet and based on my research, it's gonna be really difficult to find a place to try them out. :frowning2: And if I can't audition them, then I won't buy them because it seems like no shop in Europe allows returning IEMs (for hygienic reasons).
It doesn't have to be the phone, but I know what the Andromeda can do from a phone, so the Z1R would have to completely blow my mind for me to pay the extra 1000 Euro for it PLUS another 2000 for the DAP.

I don't know what is needed to blow your mind tbh. Better spend that money on a hooker than buy the Z1R imo. :smirk:
There are hardly any financial returns for audio equipment. if I were in the EU, I would go buy a nice Rolex hulk instead. Guaranteed returns on investment.

That's why I prefer parting my money on watches rather than going over the top with audio.

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #1,420 of 15,290
I don't know what is needed to blow your mind tbh. Better spend that money on a hooker than buy the Z1R imo. :smirk:
There are hardly any financial returns for audio equipment. if I were in the EU, I would go buy a nice Rolex hulk instead. Guaranteed returns on investment.

That's why I prefer parting my money on watches rather than going over the top with audio.

That's some Archie Luxury type talk right there.

What it would take to blow my mind is the same kind of feeling I had when I first heard the Andromeda, like I was finally listening to the music, not the gear.

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #1,422 of 15,290

What it would take to blow my mind is the same kind of feeling I had when I first heard the Andromeda, like I was finally listening to the music, not the gear.
The andromeda is overrated as hell in my opinion. So whatever iem blows your mind is a completely personal thing.
+1 for the WM1A, to me its an end game quality player. It brings the best out of every iem, and will even bring the Andromeda to a new level.

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #1,423 of 15,290
The andromeda is overrated as hell in my opinion. So whatever iem blows your mind is a completely personal thing.
+1 for the WM1A, to me its an end game quality player. It brings the best out of every iem, and will even bring the Andromeda to a new level.

Same applies to DAPs. They all sound the same to me. I owned the WM1A, DX200, Opus#2, etc. I sold them all and now I just use my S9 or ES100 for everything.

Mar 10, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #1,424 of 15,290

Nah, it really isn't. It's about parking money into a hobby that has some financial value at the end of the day.
Spending occasionally on audio is fine, just don't go overboard like spending an extra 3000 euros for something that might not even work out.
Unless 3000 euros to you is chump change, go ahead by all means.

Just telling you to be prudent.

Mar 10, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #1,425 of 15,290
Same applies to DAPs. They all sound the same to me. I owned the WM1A, DX200, Opus#2, etc. I sold them all and now I just use my S9 or ES100 for everything.
funny I have a cousin that says that Pepsi is the same as coca cola, cars are all the same, woman's are all the same... Now someone that daps sound all the same... And I'm the nutcase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back