Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Dec 14, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #1,292 of 2,773
Quote:

These are caca?

On to the K267...

LOL! Not really. As always, YMMV.
I've read a few posters here say that these work for them (including Jude... read his thoughts on it in the Holiday Buyers Guide). For me, they do not.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #1,293 of 2,773
Quote:
I'm very interested in the M100.  I hope it doesn't disappoints.

I put up a couple of my thoughts in:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633696/the-mad-dog-appreciation-thread#post_8957108

and in the M100 thread of course... M100s are very bassy, mids are not the best (nor better than the MDR-1Rs) and they are uncomfortable at least to me. Also, they tout the "indestructible" nature of the built and one of my wingtips separated... (even though I baby my headphones!).

But again, YMMV...

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #1,294 of 2,773
How does Mike going from being banned to not banned? It's like magic... unless it was another account we're talking about. O ghad. Read the review of the 7520 from jude saying that the 7520 had >imaging. Don't really care for the extra bass... but imaging + coil cable I think would be greater than the sexiness of the silver + 2 cables of the z1000's. Asdf just when I ordered them... what are your impressions on yours Mike? I saw your youtube video w/ a comparison, but wasn't sure since reading the holiday gift guide.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #1,295 of 2,773
Dec 14, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #1,296 of 2,773
Quote:
Great review, so you liked Denons the most. Human hearing is such an interesting, very personal thing, I could manage just a week with them but those were D2000.
How are details on Mad Dogs?

Thanks.

D2000s are tuned differently than the D5000s... (i.e. the D5000 are more of U-shaped than V-shaped... so highs are not ear-piercing, they are sparkly though).

Detail extraction in the Mad Dogs is excellent, especially the mids, again only bested by the Sig Pros to my ears.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #1,297 of 2,773
Quote:
^ Do you still own the W5000? Can you make a brief comparo, Preferably level matched at 1khz, since they're both practicely identical at this point. I'd like to know the differences in stage depth, imaging, transient repsonse, timbre with vocals (women mainly) and piano in higher register notes, and overall lower bass presense.

Yes, I still own W5000, and I guess it wouldn't be a surprise that even that MDR-1R are very decent phones they don't stand a chance against Raffinatos. Those are golden, different weight class altogether.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #1,298 of 2,773
At it's price point and function, they are excellent phones. There isn't any point of comparing them to full-size home use headphones, they are just not meant to go up against them.

To be perfectly honest, all the portable I have heard, including Edition 8s, only the Signature Pro are truly superior to the MDR-1R and none came close to the comfort the MDR-1R offers. That says a lot to the value for money.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #1,299 of 2,773
Quote:
At it's price point and function, they are excellent phones. There isn't any point of comparing them to full-size home use headphones, they are just not meant to go up against them.

To be perfectly honest, all the portable I have heard, including Edition 8s, only the Signature Pro are truly superior to the MDR-1R and none came close to the comfort the MDR-1R offers. That says a lot to the value for money.

Fully agree. As a closed portable at $300 they exceeded my wildest expectations. I was hoping for something more comfortable and at lest same level of SQ as AKG K271S, but that level of improvement came completely unexpected, they are punching way above their weight.

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #1,301 of 2,773
Quote:
^Ok the K271s would also suffice, I've had them too (mk2). Pretty please :)

- Comfort is three folds better
- 3D holographic, spacious, multilayered imaging vs. chamber like almost flat soundstage on K271S
- Mids are sweetened in comparison on K271S they are more natural
- More treble extension, the AKG missing the very top sparkle.
- I can pick much more details due to better layering and better resolving drivers
- Bass is probably what sets MDR-1R apart from both K271S and W5000 the most, it's just more chest pondering, not excessively heavy or bloated like on Denon but very speakers like, with all that reverb and resonance. On K271S and W5000 the bass hits more like tight, small ball.

Of course with W5000 you get even bigger sounstage, more details and texture and hotter treble.

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #1,302 of 2,773
Quote:
You guys know I'm a Sony fanboy.  I have a ton of Sony cans.  I can understand if a headphone is tuned for one or two genre of music and does it very well.  Now before you guys blow my comments out of proportion the 1R isn't a bad headphone, just not a good one at $299 IMO.  here it goes!

- bass is bloated and a bit confused, bass bleeds into the mids

- mids are lush and warm but a bit un-natural tonally 

- treble is rolled off so lacks life

- slightly dark and a bit on the veil side.

these traits are not of a good $299 headphone from a company that made some of the best on the planet.  i.e. $249 MDR-CD900st.  It's sad that this is starting to be common from headphones manufactures.

There!  let the flaming begin. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I could not agree more with this short review. I heard them last week after noticing them on posters everywhere on the tube; although they look and feel good - not really worth the price tag.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #1,304 of 2,773
Quote:
Not sure if this has been talked about, but what compression scheme is the bluetooth radio using
or is is lossless?

Standard Bluetooth. No APT-X (lossless or not). However there's some DSEE "reconstruction" algorithm going on. Below are my brief impressions of the 1RBT vs the 1R :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/625015/sony-has-new-headphones-mdr-1r/975#post_8894330

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #1,305 of 2,773
Quote:

Standard Bluetooth. No APT-X (lossless or not). However there's some DSEE "reconstruction" algorithm going on. Below are my brief impressions of the 1RBT vs the 1R :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/625015/sony-has-new-headphones-mdr-1r/975#post_8894330

Jude has also posted an excellent review of MDR-1RBT in Wireless section of new  Holiday Gift Guide
And regular 1R in Over-Ear section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back