Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Dec 16, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #1,321 of 2,773
I'm pretty sure the thin sound comes from ampless use, several people recommended them to be used with amp. Some headphones just needs and change signature a lot by amping. For example my Q40 sounds bad to me ampless and I'd even describe it similar as your K167 description while amped it becomes a more "1R-like" fullbodied, thicker sound due to midrange stepping forward significantly.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #1,322 of 2,773
Quote:
At this point it's more of an interest check as I am having second thoughts about selling them (although I already have several cans and one pair of ears). Haven't tried the K167 with an amp but out of a dap, they sound noticeably thinner than the MDR-1R and even my DT 1350. That said, they have amazing soundstage and detail. The instrument separation and clarity is on another level. Right after I was listening to the K167, I put on the 1R, and at first listen they sound slightly muffled in comparison. Now that I've had the 1R on my head for a while that muffled feeling is gone and I adjusted to their sound sig, which is thicker and warmer overall. More weight to the instruments and better bass punch than the K167 to my ears. Overall the MDR-1R is more enjoyable to my ears because its better timbre - I'm not even sure how to describe the coloration of the K167 (think if Ultrasone and the DT1350 adopted a baby, that would be the K167 - detail monsters with very wide soundstage but a bit odd tonally).
Again, I don't have a proper amp at the moment so take this with a grain of salt. Oh and btw you can refer to me as 'her' next time. I know I know, it's hard to tell who is male and female around here.
wink.gif

Oops, sorry, why do you have that smoking guy on your avatar then? Of course I don't look like my avatar either but at least gender is the same (if you can tell one) LOL
biggrin.gif

And thanks for the impressions. Yep, details are not everything, SA5000 for instance are uber detailed but timbre is not what I would call relaxing and enjoyable, it's like dissecting the sound with the scalpel and inspecting each individual note. With MDR-1R it's a seamless flow, engaging, relaxing yet detailed enough to pick up the things that matters.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #1,323 of 2,773
Quote:
At this point it's more of an interest check as I am having second thoughts about selling them (although I already have several cans and one pair of ears). Haven't tried the K167 with an amp but out of a dap, they sound noticeably thinner than the MDR-1R and even my DT 1350. That said, they have amazing soundstage and detail. The instrument separation and clarity is on another level. Right after I was listening to the K167, I put on the 1R, and at first listen they sound slightly muffled in comparison. Now that I've had the 1R on my head for a while that muffled feeling is gone and I adjusted to their sound sig, which is thicker and warmer overall. More weight to the instruments and better bass punch than the K167 to my ears. Overall the MDR-1R is more enjoyable to my ears because its better timbre - I'm not even sure how to describe the coloration of the K167 (think if Ultrasone and the DT1350 adopted a baby, that would be the K167 - detail monsters with very wide soundstage but a bit odd tonally).
Again, I don't have a proper amp at the moment so take this with a grain of salt. Oh and btw you can refer to me as 'her' next time. I know I know, it's hard to tell who is male and female around here.
wink.gif

thx for that comparison! I, too have no portable headphone amp here atm but I enjoy listening to the 167s via the Note 2 a lot. Ok, with my Xonar Essence they get properly amped, sound a little bit fuller but at the same time I recognise a bit more soundstage and even more detailed mids and highs. There's still plenty of bass. Whereas with the 1R (only tried them with my Note 2) I immediately noticed what you described so accurate. Only listened to them for 15 minutes or so, but I heard enough to order them.

Regarding the description of the K167s coloration, I, too think there's not a single word to describe them so, please let me go into greater detail: They tend to be analytical headphones with very good resolution and timing towards the middle and high frequencies for optimal monitoring purposes (or call it "snappy") with still a precise but strong representation in the sub bass frequencies....which IMO makes them one of the most fun to listen headphones for "bass loving audiophiles on the go"
wink_face.gif
   Why? Because they isolate very well and still have a wide soundstage.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #1,324 of 2,773
I'm pretty sure the thin sound comes from ampless use, several people recommended them to be used with amp. Some headphones just needs and change signature a lot by amping. For example my Q40 sounds bad to me ampless and I'd even describe it similar as your K167 description while amped it becomes a more "1R-like" fullbodied, thicker sound due to midrange stepping forward significantly.

This is quite true I'm sure. I should take out my trusty Sony D-33 PCDP and try them with the K167s. It has a very good amount of power although the source is pretty warm.

Andrew, that's Dave Gahan from the band Depeche Mode (my favorite band) in my avatar. I usually put people I admire, or who I think is badass and I sort of relate to in my avatar. It also goes by my mood and it represents my personality (not to mention I do smoke - not that it's a good thing). Anyway I don't expect others to look like their avatar (itd be funny if I was talking to some animated ponies going through rainbows for real lol). I totally agree with your sentiments on the 1R. And to me when it comes to getting in to your music, while I appreciate incredible details rendered, timbre accuracy matters much more to me. If you ever get a chance you should hear the Panasonic HJE900 IEM. It's so natural sounding and I have always been on the hunt to find full size cans with that similar sound since then. The 1Rs come closer than the K167 so far.

droid, your description of the k167s is spot on when it comes to mids and highs. As for bass and extension perhaps I need a little more juice (and/or burn in for that matter though again I am not a huge believer in that). I hear it but it's not as sublime and visceral to my ears as something like the DT 1350. Maybe I'll hold on to these till I get a proper amp. Also your last point is why I also don't want to let them go. It's hard to find a portable circumaural with such a big soundstage and good isolation.

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #1,325 of 2,773
Quote:
Oops, sorry, why do you have that smoking guy on your avatar then? Of course I don't look like my avatar either but at least gender is the same (if you can tell one) LOL
biggrin.gif

And thanks for the impressions. Yep, details are not everything, SA5000 for instance are uber detailed but timbre is not what I would call relaxing and enjoyable, it's like dissecting the sound with the scalpel and inspecting each individual note. With MDR-1R it's a seamless flow, engaging, relaxing yet detailed enough to pick up the things that matters.

I think the SA5000 can even be a little indiscriminate about the way it presents high frequencies - it's a little spitty. I always think it sounds like knives and lasers.

For me low frequency detail is just as important as high frequency - it really brings out the texture of instruments. I like that physical feel of a drum hit or a guitar string being plucked. It's easy to cram a lot of high frequency treble in someone's ears (you can do it with an equaliser!) but it can be a little hard to tell if the high frequencies are precise or being smeared. With low frequencies, it becomes pretty plainly obvious when the transients are sloppy or flabby.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #1,326 of 2,773
Couldn't agree more with what you said about the texture of instruments. ^^ That's what I pay most attention to - essentially timbre accuracy and decay which has a lot to do with the low end as well as the high end.

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #1,327 of 2,773
Quote:
Couldn't agree more with what you said about the texture of instruments. ^^ That's what I pay most attention to - essentially timbre accuracy and decay which has a lot to do with the low end as well as the high end.

Head-fi statements that I can DEFINITELY get on board with.

I can appreciate all kinds of sound flavors, but the timbre HAS to be there.  This is the difference in fidelity to me.

It's refreshing to hear others reflect this attitude, if for nothing less than to know I'm not crazy!

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #1,328 of 2,773
[size=10pt]For those who crave good isolation along with SQ I have a few quick impressions of the noise canceling version. I travel a lot of for work, mostly air, and did end up purchasing the Bose QC15's (gasp, I know) a couple years ago. Like others on this board, I was never quite satisfied with the sound but they did provide great isolation. I do have the SE535's and W3's, which I enjoy, but for long flights IEMs always became bothersome/uncomfortable.[/size]

[size=10pt]Enter the MDR-1R - just took my first flight with them and "dorked it up" by having both the Bose and Sony's with me for testing. For those on the go here are my current thoughts/hypothesis after 1 flight/1 day:[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]-MDR-1R's = Bose QC15 in noise canceling abilities. [/size]
[size=10pt]-MDR's sound better with NC activated, very strange given my experience test driving the PSB's (which I almost bought) and other NC headphones[/size]
[size=10pt]-MDR-1R's sound quite good with an Ipod/Iphone 5, which will be my primary source while on the road.[/size]
[size=10pt]-Bose QC15's do feel like a feather compared to the MDR's. However, the MDR's are very comfortable to me. Longer flights will definitely test this opinion (only experienced a 3 hr flight, while changing phones).[/size]
[size=10pt]-On the MDR's self-adjusting NC settings, I still wish I had the controls at my disposal. I am a bit weary that it will adjust properly in changing conditions (e.g., airport check-in, to lounge, to terminal gate, to airplane) where noise levels/type change. However, so far so good.[/size]
[size=10pt]-Travel case for Bose QC 15's is smaller than the Sony's (~15%). If packing is tight, this obviously may be an issue.[/size]

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #1,333 of 2,773
Has anyone had the chance to compare the mdr-1r to the Philips Fidelio L1 (just found out about these headphones) ? Which one do you prefer?

I've had my mdr's for about a month now and love them. The L1's look pretty sharp and reviews have been pretty good.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #1,334 of 2,773
Quote:
Has anyone had the chance to compare the mdr-1r to the Philips Fidelio L1 (just found out about these headphones) ? Which one do you prefer?
I've had my mdr's for about a month now and love them. The L1's look pretty sharp and reviews have been pretty good.

I've had the L1's for awhile now and still enjoy them.  Very different sounding headphones though.  L1's are warmer, more laid back.  Vocals are not as forward but still very present.  Bass is slower and more in the lower frequencies.  Highs are also toned down more.  It is a very relaxing and enjoyable sound.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back