Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
May 31, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #1,516 of 1,768
  For the past two weeks my HD650s have been relegated to the mug tree and I've put in excess of 70 hours on these, so they are nicely loosened up now. Most of my listening has been through my Modi / Magni 2 stack and they sound ridiculously good for the £100 I paid for them. The punchy bass is great for music, bass guitar really growls without being over the top and kick drums have a lovely smack to them. The surprisingly large sound stage works great for gaming too and I've been giving virtual 8 channel surround a good run through my Asus Xonar STX sound card. They may not be quite as resolving as my HD650s but they are no slouches either and above all they are just fun to listen through and sublimely comfortable while you're doing it - been wearing them for another six hours tonight.

I've had a look at the Xduoo X3 and it may well be my next purchase.

I just got the HD650s and LOVE them. I think they are a big step up in quality over the 100AAPs, but they are very different so both will be of use. I'll generally swap around with my Senn hd25iis and the Sonys on the go, as they are good for different types of music.

I paid £40 for the 100aaps from a HiFiHeadphones as they were ex display and didn't have the stock cable, which didn't bother me. They had the original box. Possibly the biggest bargain I've had yet. i haven't tried the 650s with my Xduoo X3 yet.

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #1,517 of 1,768
The HD650s are definitely more resolving than the 100AAPs, it's just that they are so much fun for the money
L3000.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #1,519 of 1,768
I picked up a pair of these on amazon and loved them immediately. Great soundstage and bass for this price range.

I've got one big problem..they leak too..much. :frowning2:

Can't recommend these for around the office sadly.

Is it possible to mod them to leak less?

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #1,520 of 1,768
Hello this is my first post in this forum,

I just bought these cans for $130-ish.

I could say that i'm really happy, it replaced my 7 years old Beats Studio.

Don't get me wrong, that headphones is my birthday gift and it serves well for the past years.

So moving on, what i'm really concerned about MDR-100AAP is the synthetic leather pads cushion,

My experience with these synthethic leather doesnt ends really well.

Starting from my old open-back  Sennheiser headphones and then Beats Studio they always tends to cracks for abt 2-3 years of usage.

It seems I cannot find them online aswell.(tried alie*press, ama*on, e*ay etc)

Is there any tips to prolong their life?

===================================================

I picked up a pair of these on amazon and loved them immediately. Great soundstage and bass for this price range.

I've got one big problem..they leak too..much. :frowning2:

Can't recommend these for around the office sadly.

Is it possible to mod them to leak less?

I second that, the sound isolation is what makes this headphones a downgrade from my old beats studio and also the bass.

Everything else sounds like an upgrade for me.

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #1,521 of 1,768

I second that, the sound isolation is what makes this headphones a downgrade from my old beats studio and also the bass.

Everything else sounds like an upgrade for me.

I like these headphones so much that I'm going to keep mine. After a bunch of experiments over the weekend I learned that most of the leakage is the pads. From some basic tests jacked into my iphone6, if you run no more than 1/2 - 3/4 volume the leakage is nominal. The pads do isolate well enough however. 

These aren't as bassy as beats studio for sure, but they extend plenty and are punchy to satisfy my needs for when I'm playing EDM through them. Sonically, these cans are amazing.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #1,522 of 1,768

I like these headphones so much that I'm going to keep mine. After a bunch of experiments over the weekend I learned that most of the leakage is the pads. From some basic tests jacked into my iphone6, if you run no more than 1/2 - 3/4 volume the leakage is nominal. The pads do isolate well enough however. 

These aren't as bassy as beats studio for sure, but they extend plenty and are punchy to satisfy my needs for when I'm playing EDM through them. Sonically, these cans are amazing.

But the soundstage, clarity and the comfy when using it is amazing.

It's not as good as ATH-M50X for sure, but MDR-100AAP has its own signature, and the M50X is too heavy for me and my head is not that big.

For portable close-back headphones i guess MDR-100AAP is right choice, and i don't doubt it at all

Just a shame these pads doesn't isolate well enough as much as my old Beats Studio does.

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #1,525 of 1,768
  100% agree i own pm3, sine, lcd2, h6, msr7 and many more, but that cheapo sony gets the most headtime. perfect Tuning for my Needs with awesome soundstage (deeper than my lcd2). bought the 100abn wireless as well, and they seem even more open sounding with nc on.

Hey there Sofastreamer. What are the differences sound wise between the 100AAP and the 100ABN? Also I had issues with wind noise when I owned the 100AAP which lead to me selling them. How is the wind noise on the 100ABN? I have seen a few posts suggesting the wind noise is similar or possibly even worse on them and would like to know before I shell out a ton of money ($450CAD) on the 100ABN?

Have to admit I had a listen to the 100AAP at a local store and might just buy another pair and live with the wind noise :).

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #1,526 of 1,768

It's not as good as ATH-M50X for sure, but MDR-100AAP has its own signature, and the M50X is too heavy for me and my head is not that big.

I just tried the ATH-M50X. First the good: Impressed by them. Wasn't expecting such a pleasant listen, comfort and isolation for their price range.

The bad?

For me they didn't really hold a candle to the MDR-100AAP. The Sony's mid+higher freq articulation and the bass extension are in a whole different category than the M50X. They make music sound alive and the M50X sound veiled.

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #1,527 of 1,768
  For me they didn't really hold a candle to the MDR-100AAP. The Sony's mid+higher freq articulation and the bass extension are in a whole different category than the M50X. They make music sound alive and the M50X sound veiled.

interesting, I had the opposite impression, especially when I use Sound Professional Velour pads on my M50x (which only roll off the bass a little bit and bring out the mids). What annoyed me about both is that the headband seems to rattle or creak a bit when I move my head around. The bass and treble on the 100AAP sounds very similar to the Audio-Technica IM70 (which is an IEM I really enjoy), but the midrange isn't anywhere as forward. Often I try them at Best Buy because I really want to give the 100AAP a second thought, but this holds me back. Compared to the MSR7, they don't really stand a chance except for the deeper bass and less fatiguing mids and highs - I just personally prefer a bit more clarity and sharpness at the highs. Well, I guess everyone hears differently.

On average they're both $249 in Canada now but Techcity Canada is selling the Sonys for 150$ through Amazon.ca - so far Best Buy is still the only place I've seen the 100AAP in retail which is a shame. The Sonys were 229$ at launch. Back in 2014 the M50x was 189$ and the price just keeps rising.

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #1,528 of 1,768
Back in 2014 the M50x was 189$ and the price just keeps rising.

You can thank fanboys for that :wink:

The bad?

Yes, these two cans have their own signature as which sounds quite differently.
But overall, i think the M50X sounds better. But then again, it's just my opinion.

Jun 15, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #1,529 of 1,768
You can thank fanboys for that :wink:

well it's mainly the Canadian dollar going down, as 250$ is approximately 194$ USD right now

Has anyone been able to compare the ABN with the AAP? In passive mode is there an difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back