Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Jul 22, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #1,548 of 1,768
  So, today i went in an electronics store here where i live, and decided to go to the headphones area to test out some headphones with my x3ii. And guess what i found on the shelves? The mdr-100aap.
I immedieately tried them, and, HOLY COW, these things rock.

Tried them for about 15 minutes, with various songs/genres, so i haven't got a really in-depth experience with them, but i will provide some impressions anyway.

The first thing i noticed when i put them on, was the comfort. These cans really are comfortable. Lightweigh, and even thought the pads aren't really large, my average-sized ears were perfectly comfortable. I didn't notice any crackling when handling them (i even tried to stretch the headband quite a bit), and the build felt really sturdy. I like the plastics, and the aluminium cups definitely give a good impression in the hands. Oh, an important thing: i wear glasses, so i tend to have some troubles with on/over-ear headphones. With the 100aap i had none. I just put the headphones on and started listening, didn't have to adjust my glasses at all. I have to say, i have some issues with my shure se215's ear guides interfering with my glasses, but the 100aap just didn't bother me at all. Really a big win.

Now, for the other important stuff: the sound.
Damn, i liked them. I tried them for short, but i really enjoyed what i heard. They got me from the first second of the song i played.
The bass seems quite extended, and quite tight too. They're bassy, but that's all, definitely not something a basshead could look at. The mids aren't really forward, but aren't recessed either. I'd say they're the right amount, and there's no bass bleed i could detect. As for the highs i liked them. Now, i tend to be quite sensible to harsh highs, that's why i prefer darker sounding headphones and earphones (like the se215), so the highs tend to be a tricky region of the spectrum for me. Well, i'm happy to say the the 100aap delivered there too. The highs felt really good to me: engaging but not harsh in the least. I tried some songs i know have harsh highs, and i had no issues at all with them. The 100aap did a really good job of taming the harshness wile keeping the sound alive.

Now, as i said, my listening session didn't last really long, so that's all i feel i can say about how they sound, and wouldn't really dare talking about the soundstage, as i didn't really give much attention to that. But one thing is sure: As soon as i'll be back from my trip in agust i'll be getting the 100aap. These truly are an amazing headphone, good enough to hook me with as little as a 15 mins listening session.

The 100AAP are seriously good, maybe a little dull with nothing really standing out but I enjoy their even signature from bottom to top.
I sometime toss over the idea of which is better Z7 or 100AAP and I kid you not, sometimes I think the 100AAP wins. 

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #1,549 of 1,768

The 100AAP are seriously good, maybe a little dull with nothing really standing out but I enjoy their even signature from bottom to top.
I sometime toss over the idea of which is better Z7 or 100AAP and I kid you not, sometimes I think the 100AAP wins. 

Yeah, there really isn't anything standing out (maybe the bass just a bit, but not really by much). But its that trait that really appeals to me. The sound signature is quite even, non fatiguing and lets you enjoy pretty much every aspect of the song.

Really a great pair of cans, and considered that nowadays you can find them for 100-120 euros both on amazon and in stores, they are a really good value, too.

Jul 31, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #1,550 of 1,768

Beoplay H7s sound great but those stupid lamb skin earpads don't seem even remotely durable. They should have gone with a more durable leather or something synthetic. Doesn't help that the replacement earpads are $100 USD.

MDR 1A's bass seems bloated.

Getting rid of both.

Jul 31, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #1,551 of 1,768

Beoplay H7s sound great but those stupid lamb skin earpads don't seem even remotely durable. They should have gone with a more durable leather or something synthetic. Doesn't help that the replacement earpads are $100 USD.

MDR 1A's bass seems bloated.

Getting rid of both.

Wich do you think is the best of those 4? Wich of those would you recomend for a guy that loves the senny hd25, momentum 1 & 2 over ear and ath m50x? also i did not like the mdr 1 because i thought it sound too colored, vocals sounded mufled and it lacked bass impact....

Jul 31, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #1,552 of 1,768
Wich do you think is the best of those 4? Wich of those would you recomend for a guy that loves the senny hd25, momentum 1 & 2 over ear and ath m50x? also i did not like the mdr 1 because i thought it sound too colored, vocals sounded mufled and it lacked bass impact....

A few questions as I can't seem to find a common thread across the headphones you picked.

Do you care about bluetooth? None of the headphones you indicated are BT.
Are you looking for something portable? Everything but the ath m50s were portable.
Are you looking for a flat / neutral sound? Slighty pronounced bass?
Are you looking for durable headphones?

In my opinion, the best bang for the buck are the ATH SR5BT as they provide great bluetooth, a nice neutral sound, are outlandishly comfortable for on-ear headphones, look great, and seem durable. The only call-out is that these are a bit more pronounced on the high-end than the other headphones here.

MDR-100AAP: I liked the sound of these the most. They sound similar to the ATH SR5BT but have a bit deeper bass and a slightly less pronounced high end. They're also very comfortable and can be had for a reasonable price.

B&O H7: These are heavy (290g) and don't offer enough over the SR5BT to warrant the price premium. These sound pleasant and relatively neutral as well. Those lamb skin earpads don't seem durable. If you've ever worn lamb skin, you know it won't last. Also, the aluminum earcups seem prone to scratches. My philosophy is I don't like high-end goods that require babying because of a concern of damaging them- they should be durable.

MDR 1A: The most comfortable pair in the group. These may be the most comfortable headphones ever made. The issue is the bass is heavy and a bit sloppy. Was a deal-breaker for me. The weakest of the group sonically for me.

Aug 2, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #1,553 of 1,768
Well if all goes well I will be rejoining the 100xxx ranks again but this time with the 100ABN.

So one of my biggest issues with the 100AAP was wind noise, something the 100ABN is supposed to also struggle with and is potentially worse due to the ANC microphones. So why am a buying a pair?

Well I have been researching acoustic membrane technologies such as:
https://www.donaldson.com/en/venting/all-products/acoustic-vents.html
https://m.alibaba.com/product/60107254016/cell-phone-acoustic-vents.html?spm=a2706.7843667.1998817009.7.VSvpoT
https://www.gore.com/products/gore-vents-for-cell-phones

The trick is figuring out how to buy some of these affordably. I thinking small black ones for the microphones and one large square one for the bass vent on the top. From what I am reading these should make the headphones close to water proof, reduce wind noise, and have almost no impact on the sound of the headphone. I know for a fact my M100 has a tape like material on its bass port and suffered from almost Zero wind noise so I know these products work.

I have reached out to the Donaldson website to find out how to buy their products but if any one has experience buying this kind of product and can shed some light on where I should go to buy them it would be greatly appreciated.

Finally if I have to buy these in larger quantities just to buy any, would anyone be wanting to buy some of the excess from me for their own headphone? I will be the guinea pig in regards to trying them out.

Aug 4, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #1,556 of 1,768
  Are those the yellow verson?  It looks green.

Well, the yellow is actually a "lime yellow" as sony states... that for me has always been a green :V

So yeah it's a bright lime green.

Anyway, for the fellow europeans, amazon.it has them on sale for 80 euros currently (as they are out of stock, available from the 7th)!!

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #1,559 of 1,768
Finally picked up a used mint set of these after the mis-hap that occurred on my previous attempt to buy a pair.
I ended up purchasing a set off of Craigslist for $120...negotiated the price down from $150 asking price. A bit more than what I wanted to spend, but I didn't want to lose my chance again.
Buyer purchased from Best Buy and felt that the fit was uncomfortable due to his "large" ears...his loss, my gain!

I was lucky to find them in the color I wanted...Viridian Blue! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #1,560 of 1,768
Hi guys also just jumped on board with the sales getting some 100aap's. Here are my EQ settings I use with the 100aap's and the Sony A15/25 synergy!

Use these Sony A15/25 EQ settings to reach 100aap nirvana!

Disclaimer - I'm not Audiophile level yet, so I'm really curious to hear what some of the more experienced ears think of these settings.

The 100aap's + Hippobox amp sounds like a refined MDR-1A IMO, very happy with this sound on a budget:

If you like the Audiotechnica IM70 sound, then you will like the EQ settings above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back