Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Jun 20, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #1,531 of 1,768
Nice, that blank round area looks made for a logo, I'm surprised Sony didn't do something with it.
beerchug.gif

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #1,532 of 1,768
Actually Sony does it in Hong Kong Japan (as usual.... :frowning2: ) . There are limited series mdr-100aap with engraving (local singers, playstation games, star wars...) and also provided Sony various vintage logo stickers

Jun 20, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #1,533 of 1,768
I've had these since December of 2015, and I must say that the long term durability is questionable. When I first got them I noticed that the design felt a bit fragile, especially the paper thin headband. I used these strictly at home and I never dropped mine at all, and I always handle my stuff carefully. That being said, the joints are becoming VERY creaky especially when I move my head or adjust them while wearing them. When putting them on, the headband flexes while making a very creaky sound. I also noticed the earcup joints are getting loose. Also I cant seem to find any replacement cable for these, or earpads for that matter. I don't even know if you can replace those. Kind of a letdown in terms of lifespan and build quality. They sound alright, very good for EDM though, which is in my opinion, the only genre its good for. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #1,534 of 1,768
Some special editions featuring Star Wars, and JPop groups as Sonyvores stated. I can't tell if the writing is engraved or printed on though...
http://karankaran.com/?s=sony+h.ear+on&post_type=product

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #1,535 of 1,768
These headphones are too expensive IMO.
Why are prices going up rather than down?
Sony released newer headphones like 1A, & 1R. Then in between them Xb950bT & zx700 all having a minimum of $199 atleast.
I would think prices would be coming down and not up or same.

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #1,539 of 1,768
There's a store around me that's on sale and selling these for 120USD, would you say it's worth it to buy it? I've read about how it sounds alot better on the sony walkman, so is it not worth it to buy it when paired with a normal smartphone? (Samsung S4). Listen to J-Rock and vocaloid, really hoping for those guitar and vocals to pop. They also have the A25 walkman on sale for 150USD but i'm not sure if i should splurge on it...

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,540 of 1,768
The 100aap sounded fine from my LG G5 so at that price I would jump all over it...

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #1,543 of 1,768
The 100aap was as comfortable or very close to as comfortable as the 1A. Both have slightly stiffer earpads than thE 1R so are slightly less comfortable unless you had issues with your ears touching in which case the newer models might be more comfortable. Sound wise the 100aap will suite you better than the 1A.

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,544 of 1,768
Thank you, my impressions in a mall were similar to those you mention, but I could only test the Sony models.
Someone could compare with the 2 Panasonic Sony? 

I also commented that the slightly larger ears than usual and most headphones brushing my ear, 1R had fewer problems, but it had a darker sound for me.

The Panasonics have good characteristics and appear to be comfortable as 1R

Jul 10, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #1,545 of 1,768
So, today i went in an electronics store here where i live, and decided to go to the headphones area to test out some headphones with my x3ii. And guess what i found on the shelves? The mdr-100aap.
I immedieately tried them, and, HOLY COW, these things rock.

Tried them for about 15 minutes, with various songs/genres, so i haven't got a really in-depth experience with them, but i will provide some impressions anyway.

The first thing i noticed when i put them on, was the comfort. These cans really are comfortable. Lightweigh, and even thought the pads aren't really large, my average-sized ears were perfectly comfortable. I didn't notice any crackling when handling them (i even tried to stretch the headband quite a bit), and the build felt really sturdy. I like the plastics, and the aluminium cups definitely give a good impression in the hands. Oh, an important thing: i wear glasses, so i tend to have some troubles with on/over-ear headphones. With the 100aap i had none. I just put the headphones on and started listening, didn't have to adjust my glasses at all. I have to say, i have some issues with my shure se215's ear guides interfering with my glasses, but the 100aap just didn't bother me at all. Really a big win.

Now, for the other important stuff: the sound.
Damn, i liked them. I tried them for short, but i really enjoyed what i heard. They got me from the first second of the song i played.
The bass seems quite extended, and quite tight too. They're bassy, but that's all, definitely not something a basshead could look at. The mids aren't really forward, but aren't recessed either. I'd say they're the right amount, and there's no bass bleed i could detect. As for the highs i liked them. Now, i tend to be quite sensible to harsh highs, that's why i prefer darker sounding headphones and earphones (like the se215), so the highs tend to be a tricky region of the spectrum for me. Well, i'm happy to say the the 100aap delivered there too. The highs felt really good to me: engaging but not harsh in the least. I tried some songs i know have harsh highs, and i had no issues at all with them. The 100aap did a really good job of taming the harshness wile keeping the sound alive.

Now, as i said, my listening session didn't last really long, so that's all i feel i can say about how they sound, and wouldn't really dare talking about the soundstage, as i didn't really give much attention to that. But one thing is sure: As soon as i'll be back from my trip in agust i'll be getting the 100aap. These truly are an amazing headphone, good enough to hook me with as little as a 15 mins listening session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back