Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
May 3, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,501 of 1,768
  I find the clarity with the X1 to be fine but then my usual headphone is the HD 650 so I am used to rolled off highs.

If it gives you good sound then that's cool. I'd consider the Xduoo X3 though in the future, I'm more than certain you'll hear a major improvement. The Xd3 punches well above it's weight and many others see it as an upgrade to the Fiio X1 (even being cheaper). They difference is the Fiio X1 has decent sound and a very good UI, whereas the Xd3 puts more into the sound and less into the Ui.

May 5, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #1,502 of 1,768
For the past two weeks my HD650s have been relegated to the mug tree and I've put in excess of 70 hours on these, so they are nicely loosened up now. Most of my listening has been through my Modi / Magni 2 stack and they sound ridiculously good for the £100 I paid for them. The punchy bass is great for music, bass guitar really growls without being over the top and kick drums have a lovely smack to them. The surprisingly large sound stage works great for gaming too and I've been giving virtual 8 channel surround a good run through my Asus Xonar STX sound card. They may not be quite as resolving as my HD650s but they are no slouches either and above all they are just fun to listen through and sublimely comfortable while you're doing it - been wearing them for another six hours tonight.

I've had a look at the Xduoo X3 and it may well be my next purchase.

May 5, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #1,503 of 1,768
The Xd3 punches well above it's weight and many others see it as an upgrade to the Fiio X1 (even being cheaper). They difference is the Fiio X1 has decent sound and a very good UI, whereas the Xd3 puts more into the sound and less into the Ui.

It's great though that the x3 can be rockboxed. I'm looking forward to receiving mine (and hearing the 100aap's off of it!).

May 7, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #1,505 of 1,768
It's great though that the x3 can be rockboxed. I'm looking forward to receiving mine (and hearing the 100aap's off of it!).

The 100AAPs really are a great combo IMO. I love the punchy, accurate bass. I feel they need an AMP though for best listen. If not then you need to listen 80-85% volume. My Topping NX2 is fine, gives a nice healthy boost in detail.

May 11, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #1,506 of 1,768
If anyone has had any of Sennheiser's over-ear headphones, can you post a quick comparison with the MDR-100AAPs?
Model availability in stores here is very limited and this is the selection i have narrowed it down to.
Comfort and a not-tiring (?) sound is my main points of interest

May 11, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #1,507 of 1,768
Does anyone have insight on the wired vs wireless sound? Also, if you use the cable with the wireless, does it disable the internal amp and sound identical to the wired versions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #1,508 of 1,768
I've very recently bought the Soundmagic HP150 which are a very good set of cans, very accurate with great bass. But i must admit that the 100AAps still beat them in terms of sound. the SMs are comfier as they go around the ear so you get a very good seal and there bass is better, but the mids, treble, sound stage and resolution are better on the Sonys. I think that shows just how good the AAPs are as the HP150s are considered a bit of a giant killer. I'd say both are equally as musical and both give something different so both def worth keeping.

PS... the AAPs bass responds really well to some moderate bass EQ i find. They also don't need an AMP. I feel an AMP can SOMETIMES make them a tiny tiny bit bright. Not fatiguing though.

May 17, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #1,509 of 1,768
100% agree i own pm3, sine, lcd2, h6, msr7 and many more, but that cheapo sony gets the most headtime. perfect Tuning for my Needs with awesome soundstage (deeper than my lcd2). bought the 100abn wireless as well, and they seem even more open sounding with nc on.

May 17, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #1,510 of 1,768
  Another happy customer - check! 

These are seriously a league above the 1R/ 1A series SONY had. 

I will NEVER agree with that statement.  More and more I heard the AAP, more I find them not involving at all. The 1 A has his flaws, but it is much more musical and has more depth. I also heard the AAP's on a Sony DAP. This was so flat, no dynamics, it was really a huge disappointment. The DAP is of course important, on my FIIO X3's generation 1 and two they fared better. I am not a bass - head, far from that, but I not want to hear how the 100 aap fares with a phone.  I not need beats - cans, but when there is power in the bass, it should be heard.

I did the 1 A modification. This was not necessary and I was a bit afraid of it. Some will like the original sound. Now the cans are just tighter in Bass on the Fiio x3 2.  But this Dap gives a lot of bass. I tried it on a M2TECh Hifi, and bass was much tighter still and not punchy at all.

Taste is difficult to discuss, but the 100 aap is a very good all rounder, but it lack dynamics, which is a bigger issue for me then maybe more bass..

May 17, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #1,511 of 1,768

Taste is difficult to discuss, but the 100 aap is a very good all rounder, but it lack dynamics, which is a bigger issue for me then maybe more bass..

I have to agree, in particular I found the midrange to be distant and recessed. I don't own them but every now and then I want to give them a second thought so I try them when I go to Best Buy (I would think the teal one would go nicely with my Xperia Z5) . However, I always end up thinking the midrange is just lacking. It's a shame because I thought these sound similar to my Audio-Technica IM70 which have more forward mids but are otherwise pretty similar. I prefer something with a bolder, sharper sound and I thought even the M50x had more forward midrange. I've only tried MDR-1A a few times and agree they are more musical and deeper-sounding but again they aren't my cup of tea because they are rather laid-back. 

How do they compare with the Takstar Pro 80 or NAD VISO HP50? Some users say those sound similar to the IM70.

May 18, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #1,512 of 1,768
Like I said it IS a question of taste otherwise all HF would sound the same.  By doing the easy modification of the 1 A (mostly used for the 1 R, who benefit probably more from it) , the bass is less lay back, it becomes faster, and even to my taste a slightly too punchy.

I had Audio Technica's, the ATH ES 7. These were brighter, but also had a good natural bass, and was a good compromise. I even bought them twice, but they let me down, as the cord is not detachable. Shame.

I really had a hard time replacing them.  THe MSR 7, was nowhere to be listened, tried different one's in shop. Not was such a fan of the Momento's, or others I tried.  Like I said with the Sony's the aap 100 is for me a disaster in dynamics. The 1 A, still got my attention, as it is so musical, and you can have it on your head for such a long time without fatigue. I just not liked the Bass, but the mids/voices are wonderful. Again with the modification, the Bass is now faster. Are they better then before? I don't know, maybe they sing a bit less.

The MSR 7, I had finally the occasion to hear them at the airport of Bangkok. I even tried two pair. Both had to my taste really too much agression in the high notes, and voices were more regressed then with the 1 A. I not see me listening to that for hours.

Also, even if you like that sound, you should maybe approach listening to head phones a different way as speakers. For me HF's are there when I cannot listen to music any other way. SO they better be comfortable, and not tiring, even if that means you will have some less detail in the high notes......But liek I said the ATH ES 7, for me had both.

May 18, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #1,513 of 1,768
I guess I'm not as sensitive to high frequencies as I quite enjoy the MSR7. Generally AT's headphones put an emphasis on the upper midrange and treble, which some really enjoy and others will find aggressive. I do think the MSR7 are rather bright and can be a bit brittle with some sources like my phone, but I feel like most of the time what I'm hearing is the sheer detail of the tracks but it can be unforgiving of poorly mastered tracks.

I like how Sony has stepped up its game with making the MDR-100ABN have both Bluetooth and noise cancellation. I don't need these two features and it does increase the price substantially, but it does go to show they are able to make a complete set of features for an already decent headphone. Has anyone tried it and does it sound any different from the original?

May 24, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #1,514 of 1,768
Compared to Takstar pro 80, Sony MDR 100aap definitely has a better mid articulation, better comfort, better portability, even better treble response. However, I use my takstar 80s with HM5 pads. So it immediately increases the comfort (since my ears are a little bigger than average) for me, and they have better bass quantity and quality. Also the soundstage with hm5 pads are quite good. I would say takstars reproduce sound better but Sonys are more neutral. 

May 30, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #1,515 of 1,768
The mdr 100aap sound aigbis simolar to the hd25 or m50x? If they are i am on board because i love the type of sound (punchy and a bit agressive) the this senns and ats have.

The pads and cable os the 100aaps are removable?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back