Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Aug 1, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #421 of 2,546
Is the MH755 the earphone that is included with the Sony SBH20 Bluetooth headset? In my recent foray into IEMs, this ultra-budget headset kept coming across my radar, and I realized I had several that looked just like these from the SBH20 Bluetooth adapters I bought back in the day to clip to my over-the-ear headphones to make them wireless sets.

It appears so, at least from a quick foray into what is listed for the mh755 on ebay lol.

If you are willing to part with a pair (non working is ok) for reshelling let me know.

Aug 2, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #422 of 2,546
It appears so, at least from a quick foray into what is listed for the mh755 on ebay lol.

If you are willing to part with a pair (non working is ok) for reshelling let me know.

Looks like you are correct, as I was able to find a couple at home still in the packages from my SBH20s that still had the tag on them saying MH755 (apparently I had taken this off of the pair I had at work). They are all black ones too, which from what I've seen appear to be difficult to find genuine.

I popped one into my phone today and was amazed that the hype was real, I'm pretty impressed by how similar the sound signature was to the XBA-N3APs I just got. Obviously comparing ~$15 to ~$250+, so the detail, clarity, and response on the N3 was better, but it was not total night and day like it was with all the other old earphones I compared to the N3. The N3 is incredible and very worth it IMO, there is definitely a noticeable difference, but for something similar for like 1/20 the price, these are just wow. A couple times during A/B I had to look down to verify that I did indeed have the cheap ones on.

They also seem to respond decently well to EQ based on quick testing, and I could probably close the gap between the two even more with some refinement. Also no joke about how these could benefit from an amp, they required quite a bit more power than the N3s.

That said, now that I realize the little gem that's been hiding in my closet, I feel a little less inclined to part with them :ksc75smile: I had been searching for a good IEM for travel and working out that wouldn't kill me to lose or break like the N3 (which stays in my office) but which had similarly good sound, and these seem to fit the bill perfectly, especially with already having backups in black.

However, while I may bring the BT adapter (which actually plays quite well with the odd cable style) back for working out, I could see recabling one or two of them or giving away one in exchange for another being recabled for me. I haven't seen much on reshelling though, are you just looking to tweak the sound?

Aug 2, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #423 of 2,546
I think the problem with these cheap dynamic drivers faced was lack of proper strong amping. People were probably using them out of weak sauce amping on phones, etc.. , and didn't have any idea how they should sound. That BT device guess is weak sauce. This is pretty much the problem with True Wireless iems now a days. Weak sauce built in amp for dynamic drivers.

Try driving them out of headphone outs on PCs, they drive the dynamic driver iems really well. Impedance response is fairly flat so shouldn't react to PC onboard sound card output impedance. This is a huge plus for dynamic driver iems.

Did any of the Sennheiser 6 series come with disclaimer that people should amp them? Back when 580 came out?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #424 of 2,546
I think the problem with these cheap dynamic drivers faced was lack of proper strong amping. People were probably using them out of weak sauce amping on phones, etc.. , and didn't have any idea how they should sound. That BT device guess is weak sauce. This is pretty much the problem with True Wireless iems now a days. Weak sauce built in amp for dynamic drivers.

Try driving them out of headphone outs on PCs, they drive the dynamic driver iems really well. Impedance response is fairly flat so shouldn't react to PC onboard sound card output impedance. This is a huge plus for dynamic driver iems.

The SBH20 was not too awful actually. By no means a proper amp and I don't think it supported aptX, but it had excellent clarity for Bluetooth regardless, and it had a fantastic set of features, size and format, button layout, build quality, and battery life, especially for the time at which it came out and its price and competition.

I actually first got them to convert my V-Moda M-100 and XS into wireless over-ears, which are both admittedly easy to drive, but it ran them quite well for years. Pulling it out again, it can run the N3 and MH755 at my preferred volume at about 50-60% power, vs 20-30% directly from my PC, and there is very little noticeable loss of quality or distortion, other than what is expected for Bluetooth. Also can push big clean bass with my bass boost EQ on.

It certainly could've benefited from more power for the cheap DD, but overall Sony seemed to get a lot right in these kits, especially for when they came out.

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #425 of 2,546
The SBH20 was not too awful actually. By no means a proper amp and I don't think it supported aptX, but it had excellent clarity for Bluetooth regardless, and it had a fantastic set of features, size and format, button layout, build quality, and battery life, especially for the time at which it came out and its price and competition.

I actually first got them to convert my V-Moda M-100 and XS into wireless over-ears, which are both admittedly easy to drive, but it ran them quite well for years. Pulling it out again, it can run the N3 and MH755 at my preferred volume at about 50-60% power, vs 20-30% directly from my PC, and there is very little noticeable loss of quality or distortion, other than what is expected for Bluetooth. Also can push big clean bass with my bass boost EQ on.

It certainly could've benefited from more power for the cheap DD, but overall Sony seemed to get a lot right in these kits, especially for when they came out.
One day I drove my AKG Samsung iem out of the headphone jack on the PC's built-in Realtek sound source, and the result was phenomenal! The way it sounded was a world of a difference from driving on the Galaxy phone. Dynamic drivers are not ideal headset for phones to drive them properly.

It's no comparison, AKG Samsung iem takes the cake, sound stage, details, and the bass response. These cheap dynamic drivers really shine generally from a source that outputs significant amount of power, and surprisingly, the Realtek sound source drove it very well.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #426 of 2,546
One day I drove my AKG Samsung iem out of the headphone jack on the PC's built-in Realteck sound source, and the result was phenomenal! The way it sounded was a world of a difference from driving on the Galaxy phone. Dynamic drivers are not ideal headset for phones to drive them properly.

It's no comparison, AKG Samsung iem takes the cake, sound stage, details, and the bass response. These cheap dynamic drivers really shine generally from a source that outputs significant amount of power, and surprisingly the Realteck sound source drove it very well.
I agree with this, the AKG note8 iem I have sounds very good from a magni and just okay from a phone (note 8). This isn't just a volume thing, it's like a different IEM.

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #427 of 2,546
I agree with this, the AKG note8 iem I have sounds very good from a magni and just okay from a phone (note 8). This isn't just a volume thing, it's like a different IEM.
I feel like I've not sampled enough dynamic driver based iems in the past. I've been mainly into BA-iems for a long time because there's been a lot of crappy dynamic driver iems back in the days. I guess there are lots of good performing dynamic driver based iems that we are all aware of these days(and of course the chi-fi gems like Moondrop).

What I realized from trying out various dynamic driver iems is that their character really comes out from being driven hard. I think it's the BA based drivers that really change from different sources, but dynamic drivers depends mainly on how strong the amping is. Much more consistent throughout various sources than BA drivers if they are properly driven.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #428 of 2,546
I haven't seen much on reshelling though, are you just looking to tweak the sound?

I meant if they were not mh755. I would have swapped mh755 driver into the black shell and recabled it.

If you're interested in trading a pair for recabling I would be willing. I'm about to recable a white pair now that my soldering supplies are back from my brother in laws.

Aug 3, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #429 of 2,546
The 755 def worthy of the hype. What possessed them to use that cable lol.

Anyone from the UK that could put on a new cable for a price? whoever did this it's gorgeous

sony c 3.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #434 of 2,546
About the Sony MH755,
If i get them, which cable and tips do i buy for the best sounding mod? Balanced cable? How much would the total price be?

And what at that pricepoint is just as good or even better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back