Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Aug 5, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #436 of 2,545
About the Sony MH755,
If i get them, which cable and tips do i buy for the best sounding mod? Balanced cable? How much would the total price be?

And what at that pricepoint is just as good or even better?

I think at that price point of a starbucks coffee, it is one of the best IEMs. Agree that the tips are good enough, I tried a few others but still went back to it in the end.
The cables are not detachable though, and is a short J shaped one with a lot of microphonics.
U might need to get it recabled, as @Slater succinctly mentioned, these are the options:

If you don’t like the short stock cable (which was originally designed to use with the Sony Bluetooth adapter clipped to your shirt), there’s 3 main options:

1. Buy a male-female aux extension, and plug it into the stock cable. This requires no skills, no soldering, is reversible, and inexpensive.

2. Buy a DIY cable and ‘recable’ the MH755. This involves taking apart the MH755 shell, desoldering the stock cable, and soldering on the new cable. This requires soldering equipment and skill, and you run the risk of damaging the driver by overheating it, as well as soldering the new cable our if phase. The cost varies depending on the new cable you buy.

3. Buy mmcx connectors and replacing the cable with a mmcx socket. This involves opening the MH755 shell, desoldering the stock cable, modding the stock shell to accept the mmcx socket, soldering the mmcx socket, etc. The cost varies depending on the mmcx socket and cable you buy, and just like recabling, you run the risk of damaging the driver, soldering it out of phase, screwing up the mmcx socket, etc. The skill involved depends on your general skill level, soldering equipment and abilities, general aptitude for such things, etc.

If u use after market cables that are balanced they will probably cost more than the IEM itself haha.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #437 of 2,545
The tips that come with the MH755 are very good

This. It can be hard for me to find good tips large enough to create a seal in my ears, but the large size on the MH755 are perfect for me. The form factor of the MH755 combined with the tip design makes it very easy to insert them deeply in your ears for a very tight seal without discomfort or fatigue. I can even lay on my side and comfortably listen for extended periods, which isn't always the case for various IEMs I've tried.

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #438 of 2,545
No real guide needed.

You stick a wooden toothpick into the vent hole on the top of the shell, and pop the shells apart. Then you desolder the stock wire from the driver. Then you resolder the new wire to the driver, and snap the shells back together. No glue needed. There is a black mark on the stock driver to indicate the ground terminal.

The hardest part is making sure you don’t overheat the driver and destroy it. You should only touch the solder pad with the soldering iron for a fraction of a second at most. Anything over 1.0 second will cause damage.

Also, if you buy thin enough wire it will work with the stock wire strain reliefs. It’s only when you go with thicker or braided wire that you have to get creative with the wire strain relief. I don’t recommend going thicker though, as if you don’t know what you’re doing you will drastically change the sound tuning. You want a wire that fits tight with the stock wire strain relief, so it doesn’t turn the strain relief into an additional bass vent.

Can i, instead of soldering the new cable in the driver, solder it in the wire that's originally soldered? That way i would avoid risks, right?

Aug 6, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #439 of 2,545
Can i, instead of soldering the new cable in the driver, solder it in the wire that's originally soldered? That way i would avoid risks, right?

I guess there might be enough room for that. I think that would be much more work than it’s worth, especially because you’ll need to keep the wire leads very short, and heat will still travel along the wires to the driver.

I personally wouldn’t waste my time. It’s just adding another point of failure. It will also put wire strain on 2 additional points (8 total instead of 4).

Also be aware that the stock wire is enameled and you’ll have to remove the enamel to tin the wires properly.

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #440 of 2,545
I just bought some MH750 because they have a mic and remote compared to MH755 which also has a much shorter cable. The remote just lowers the sound temporarily on my iPhone, like it touches the ground (sounds a little ungrounded or not fully inserted) and the mic doesn't work at all on my iPhone, works fine on android though. Is there a way to have it work on my iPhone 6S+? Will the dongle work or can I get an adapter for it? Seems like it has a different TRRS than an iPhone does. Can I possibly recable it to work as well?

Aug 7, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #441 of 2,545
I just bought some MH750 because they have a mic and remote compared to MH755 which also has a much shorter cable. The remote just lowers the sound temporarily on my iPhone, like it touches the ground (sounds a little ungrounded or not fully inserted) and the mic doesn't work at all on my iPhone, works fine on android though. Is there a way to have it work on my iPhone 6S+? Will the dongle work or can I get an adapter for it? Seems like it has a different TRRS than an iPhone does. Can I possibly recable it to work as well?

Apple uses a different wiring scheme than Android for TRRS, with the gnd and mic pins being switched around compared to a typical TRRS configuration.

If you want to use it on the iPhone, you would have to recable it using a mic cable that is Apple compatible.

Another possibility is if you can somehow pry apart the mic/control casing, you can probably swap the wiring at the circuit board.

Aug 8, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #442 of 2,545
I'm gonna try to both recable and mmcx mod on my pairs. Just got my cable and female mmcx connectors in.

Now got to get my soldering iron and supplies back from my brother in law.

Edit: added links.

Finally got around to part 1 of my mh755 mods. Re-cabled one pair tonight.

For reference the wires are color coded.
Green stripe = left
Red stripe = right
None = ground
20190807_164928.jpg

Added a heat shrink chin slider to my swap cable. I only unwound and retwisted to near where I think the split should be.

Even swapped the tag like I've seen others do :wink:.

20190807_191808.jpg

I should throw the tips back on and have a listen.

Aug 8, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #444 of 2,545
Apple uses a different wiring scheme than Android for TRRS, with the gnd and mic pins being switched around compared to a typical TRRS configuration.

If you want to use it on the iPhone, you would have to recable it using a mic cable that is Apple compatible.

Another possibility is if you can somehow pry apart the mic/control casing, you can probably swap the wiring at the circuit board.
I heard that apple uses a different resistance or something for remote so I might not do that one. Know if they'll be affected by the dongle/lightning DAC? Do you know a good cable to use? I will probably just try the casing because I have nothing to lose, wanted the 750s because I though I wouldn't need to do extra work. There isn't a 3.5mm adapter either for it, is there?

Aug 8, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #445 of 2,545
I heard that apple uses a different resistance or something for remote so I might not do that one. Know if they'll be affected by the dongle/lightning DAC? Do you know a good cable to use? I will probably just try the casing because I have nothing to lose, wanted the 750s because I though I wouldn't need to do extra work. There isn't a 3.5mm adapter either for it, is there?

Got an old set of EarPods or Apple earbuds? Just use the cable from that. Boom, easy

Aug 8, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #446 of 2,545
Just wanted to share some photos of another successful cable transplant for the MH755 - thist time in orange/rose gold.
Still waiting for some parts, so that I can go on with the MMCX mod.
IMG_20190809_003642.jpg IMG_20190809_003034.jpg

Aug 8, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #447 of 2,545
Just wanted to share some photos of another successful cable transplant for the MH755 - thist time in orange/rose gold.
Still waiting for some parts, so that I can go on with the MMCX mod.

Beautiful. Where can we get a cable like that?

Aug 8, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #449 of 2,545
Unfortunately no. The ones I have are semi functional and really bad quality. Apparently they melt over time.

Well the good news is that genuine ones are plentiful and very cheap on eBay, Amazon, Aliexpress, etc because no one really wants them anymore. Last time I bought some a few years ago, I paid $2/pair. That’s cheaper than most bare DIY cables you’ll buy for a recable.

The microphones in the Apple cable are exceptional. In the past, I’ve cut off 1 whole channel at the y split and the other earbud above the mic and converted them into low budget lapel mics with great success. The microphone quality rivals many lapel microphones I’ve heard in the $100+ range.

The point is that if you want a really good Apple compatible microphone cable for a recable, you’re not going to get much better than the genuine Apple one.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #450 of 2,545
Well the good news is that genuine ones are plentiful and very cheap on eBay, Amazon, Aliexpress, etc because no one really wants them anymore. Last time I bought some a few years ago, I paid $2/pair. That’s cheaper than most bare DIY cables you’ll buy for a recable.

The microphones in the Apple cable are exceptional. In the past, I’ve cut off 1 whole channel at the y split and the other earbud above the mic and converted them into low budget lapel mics with great success. The microphone quality rivals many lapel microphones I’ve heard in the $100+ range.

The point is that if you want a really good Apple compatible microphone cable for a recable, you’re not going to get much better than the genuine Apple one.
Thank you, I had no idea they were that good. They are good mics, you're right. MH755/MH750 with them would be perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back