Sonus faber PRYMA - An Italian-Made Beauty
Apr 22, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #91 of 181
Apr 22, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #92 of 181
  And boomy bass.

Does the Pryma sound like Momentum 1.0, but more comfortable and transparent. (Do they have the sweet mids of Momentum and the slightly fat bass, but less congested - perfect for female vocals in r&b and pop,)

I seemed to like the headphones that Dalethorn review- Nighthawk, DT 1770.

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #93 of 181
  And boomy bass.

Do you own these headphones, or have months of experience listening in order to put forth a proper evaluation? Do you have a proper setup to do this? Do you spend more than 5 minutes with each headphone that passes through your hands?

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #95 of 181
  Does the Pryma sound like Momentum 1.0, but more comfortable and transparent. (Do they have the sweet mids of Momentum and the slightly fat bass, but less congested - perfect for female vocals in r&b and pop,)

No, the Pryma is slightly more transparent and 'exciting'. 
The bass is detailed but has quite some oomph to it, and a long lasting decay that can be described as 'boomy'. 
This is not a negative trait if you value that kind of response - 'boomy' is only a word used to describe a kind of bass quality that has a slow decay like a sub-woofer in a medium-large living room that may not be particularly well acoustically treated.

Some people quite enjoy this type of bass, as in most environments this can sound NATURAL. 
I think too many people describe 'boominess' as a negative trait - when quite often it sounds more natural than something with SUPER tight, fast-punchy bass, which sounds more like a bass instruments recorded in a studio or anechoic environment.
I find that type of sound to be interesting, and valuable, but not particularly 'natural'.

I think the Pryma leans on the side of boominess that is leaning on the edge of being a bit too much - like a sub-woofer that is turned up too loudly in a small room with not much furniture or acoustic treatment to compensate.
The Momentum M1 is leaning on the side of 'bass lean' depending on the recording. Sometimes it hits the sweet spot, as it is bass shy of the 'Harman target curve' in most situations (a curve I find particularly relevant and mirrors my experiences with headphone listening).

Regarding Nighthawk and DT1770 - I found the DT1770 absolutely sublime. Truly a stunning closed-back headphone.
The Nighthawk I felt was just very very boomy and loose bass. Not enjoyable at all unless used at rather low listening volumes. 

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #96 of 181
Hmm. Dal

Hmm. I remember dalethorn sold all of his 8-10 headphones after getting this headphone. It's what got me interested. The NH were his favorite I believe until the Prymas came along...

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #97 of 181
The bass is detailed but has quite some oomph to it, and a long lasting decay that can be described as 'boomy'. 
This is not a negative trait if you value that kind of response - 'boomy' is only a word used to describe a kind of bass quality that has a slow decay like a sub-woofer in a medium-large living room that may not be particularly well acoustically treated.

Some people quite enjoy this type of bass, as in most environments this can sound NATURAL. 
I think too many people describe 'boominess' as a negative trait - when quite often it sounds more natural than something with SUPER tight, fast-punchy bass, which sounds more like a bass instruments recorded in a studio or anechoic environment.
I find that type of sound to be interesting, and valuable, but not particularly 'natural'.

I think the Pryma leans on the side of boominess that is leaning on the edge of being a bit too much - like a sub-woofer that is turned up too loudly in a small room with not much furniture or acoustic treatment to compensate.
The Momentum M1 is leaning on the side of 'bass lean' depending on the recording. Sometimes it hits the sweet spot, as it is bass shy of the 'Harman target curve' in most situations (a curve I find particularly relevant and mirrors my experiences with headphone listening).

Regarding Nighthawk and DT1770 - I found the DT1770 absolutely sublime. Truly a stunning closed-back headphone.
The Nighthawk I felt was just very very boomy and loose bass. Not enjoyable at all unless used at rather low listening volumes. 

The NH bass flattens out alot after a burn in.

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #98 of 181

The NH bass flattens out alot after a burn in.

That explains why some ppl that I trust the opinion of enjoy it so much.
I couldn't get my head around how much they enjoyed it versus how badly it sounded to me.
I've listened to the same floor model 3 times over a couple of months in the same shop, but I guess nobody gave it decent burn-in even over that time period. 
I wouldn't be surprised if most people simply took it off immediately after scoffing at it. 

Maybe it's something to do with the drivers being designed more like loudspeakers with the rubber surrounds.
Either way, it does some absolutely lovely at low volumes. 

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #99 of 181
Do you respect another headfiers opinions?

Stop judging other people so negatively and learn to respect their opinions -__-

Seriously? Perhaps you might want to heed your own advice and stop crapping on posts where people are giving their opinions. Just a suggestion..

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #100 of 181
I couldn't get my head around how much they enjoyed it versus how badly it sounded to me.
I've listened to the same floor model 3 times over a couple of months in the same shop, but I guess nobody gave it decent burn-in even over that time period. 
I wouldn't be surprised if most people simply took it off immediately after scoffing at it. 

Maybe it's something to do with the drivers being designed more like loudspeakers with the rubber surrounds.

The NH out of the box does give an overwelming mid-bass. That was my problem in the beggining because it was to a point where the mid bass was distracting a track all the time. Then at about 100 hours it dissapeared and now is perfect or even softer than I would like at times. Most of the time perfect though. Alot of other headphones sound distorted and is not as refined compared to NH. Its not for treble lovers, but just plays music.

The Prymas I heard have similar tone, but a bit more transparent which I would like. Just hope it will sound as distortion free. I have heard the Sonus Olympicas 3's and their faber line in general (speakers), so I hope it carried on to the prymas, checking it out soon.

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #101 of 181

Seriously? Perhaps you might want to heed your own advice and stop crapping on posts where people are giving their opinions. Just a suggestion..

Perhaps in stead of trying to invalidate opinions that differ from yours, try to engage in a dialogue instead of asking presumptuous loaded questions.
So wait... you're allowed to give your opinions, but if I give mine it's thread-crapping?
Have some respect for other peoples opinions and stop acting like a self proclaimed authority around here.... just a suggestion.

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #102 of 181

If you bring the Mojo to audition the NH, the NH will break in under 1 hour - cos the Mojo and NH creates extra "boominess" which cause the NH to break in very quickly.

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #103 of 181

If you feel that Momentum is bass lean, wouldn't DT 1770 be even leaner ???

IMHO in terms of Bass,   NH > Momentum > DT 1770, so I can assume I cannot place Pryma in place of Momentum

Current usage

Classic rock - DT 1770
Pop, R&B & Soul, Jazz (simple vocal music with little instruments) - Momentum
Heavy rock & Metal - Nighthawk

Where does Pryma fit into the genres?

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #104 of 181

If you feel that Momentum is bass lean, wouldn't DT 1770 be even leaner ???

IMHO in terms of Bass,   NH > Momentum > DT 1770, so I can assume I cannot place Pryma in place of Momentum

Current usage

Classic rock - DT 1770
Pop, R&B & Soul, Jazz (simple vocal music with little instruments) - Momentum
Heavy rock & Metal - Nighthawk

Where does Pryma fit into the genres?

Only lean depending on the recording and the situation.
I use the Momentums almost exclusively outdoors and I find that they mostly need a small EQ bass and treble boost. 
The boost compensates nicely for the external noise as I tend to listen at fairly low/moderate volumes. 

Honestly, I thought the 1770 felt like it has slightly more bass weight, but probably due to a more recessed midrange - but not in a tasteless way. So while the bass volume might be less it feels bigger. Does that make sense? 
tongue.gif

Momentum bass is more chunky, and feels smaller, 1770 feels more 'enveloping' and authoritative. Might also be because of the much larger cup size giving space for bass to breath. 
I would place the Pryma in the same territory as the Momentum as the bass volume is about the same/similar.

I don't normally assign headphones to genres, but if I had to, it would err on the side of Pop/R&B etc. 
I wouldn't consider it a upgrade, more of a side-grade. 

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #105 of 181
  Only lean depending on the recording and the situation.
I use the Momentums almost exclusively outdoors and I find that they mostly need a small EQ bass and treble boost. 
The boost compensates nicely for the external noise as I tend to listen at fairly low/moderate volumes. 

Honestly, I thought the 1770 felt like it has slightly more bass weight, but probably due to a more recessed midrange - but not in a tasteless way. So while the bass volume might be less it feels bigger. Does that make sense? 
tongue.gif

Momentum bass is more chunky, and feels smaller, 1770 feels more 'enveloping' and authoritative. Might also be because of the much larger cup size giving space for bass to breath. 
I would place the Pryma in the same territory as the Momentum as the bass volume is about the same/similar.

I don't normally assign headphones to genres, but if I had to, it would err on the side of Pop/R&B etc. 
I wouldn't consider it a upgrade, more of a side-grade. 

I totally get what you mean, assuming budget is not a concern, for semi open or closed back, what is an upgrade from momentum -  I love the midrange - but it sounds congested it and is so damm uncomfortable. Thanks :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back