Sonus faber PRYMA - An Italian-Made Beauty
Jan 23, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #61 of 181

I prefer my Sennheiser Momentum and Onkyo ES-HF300 to these.

images

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #62 of 181

I prefer my Sennheiser Momentum and Onkyo ES-HF300 to these.

images

I like what I like, you don't have to like or agree with it.
I just don't think the overall sound quality and presentation merits the astronomical price tag.

The fact these are more expensive than the Bowers and Wilkins P7 is almost laughable.
So these must be fashion headphones.

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #64 of 181
Maybe he just doesn't agree with me.
Doesn't make either of us right or wrong.

Don't really see why you're 'siding' with him. Aren't we allowed to have our own opinions here? Or is that not allowed any more?

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #66 of 181
Maybe beagle is hearing better technicalities and you just don't like it's soind signature.

Maybe he just doesn't agree with me.
Doesn't make either of us right or wrong.

Don't really see why you're 'siding' with him. Aren't we allowed to have our own opinions here? Or is that not allowed any more?

Oh no that was read wrong. I wasn't siding with anyone... Just trying to guess at why there may be a difference of opinion. Ie ppl find the lcd3 over priced and not good because of its sound sig being dark, Where as I hear it to have good technical abilities and inner detail. I see how xanlamin doesn't like them either but without a thorough review of technical performance of grain, distortion, instrument seperation, speed, soundstage and so on I can only guess. I'm still interested in these somewhat but am leaning towards one of the JVC wood 01s.

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #67 of 181

Oh no that was read wrong. I wasn't siding with anyone... Just trying to guess at why there may be a difference of opinion. Ie ppl find the lcd3 over priced and not good because of its sound sig being dark, Where as I hear it to have good technical abilities and inner detail. I see how xanlamin doesn't like them either but without a thorough review of technical performance of grain, distortion, instrument seperation, speed, soundstage and so on I can only guess. I'm still interested in these somewhat but am leaning towards one of the JVC wood 01s.

Ah, no worries... it's just kind of misleading if you suggest someone is hearing 'hearing better technicalities' ... kinda sounds like I didn't or can't hear those technicalities *shrug*...
I'm also looking forward to a thorough review the measurements to see how well I've judged them. That's part of the fun for me.

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #68 of 181
Ah, no worries... it's just kind of misleading if you suggest someone is hearing 'hearing better technicalities' ... kinda sounds like I didn't or can't hear those technicalities *shrug*...
I'm also looking forward to a thorough review the measurements to see how well I've judged them. That's part of the fun for me.

You are right. It does read like that. My bad. I re read your post, and whike less descriptive than beagles u did say what you didnt like. Ill keep checking back.

Im not a fan of the belt strap aesthetically but it looks great otherwise. A good shootout would be vs the mh40

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #69 of 181
Please measure the inside of the earpad (height, width, and depth) in mm. That information would help all of us figure out how well they fit. Also, do you find your ears touching the pads at all or the dust cover? Thanks much.

Hi guy,
I went back to the shop today for a re-test and gave the pads a measure.

The pads are get slightly thicker as you go deeper.
Measures roughly:
• 40 - 45mm wide
• 65-70mm high

Sorry, I forgot to measure the depth.
From memory, they were about 15mm

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #71 of 181
Ok.  I am not a headphone guy- but I do love audio and listen heavily.  These are some pretty stunning headphones.  Totally Sonus Faber.  Well-built and extremely well made.  No attention to detail was spared. 

Unfortunately, they're very dark and lack dynamics.  My last several headphones have been semi-open designs and that could be a contributing factor.  I recently owned the Fostex TH-X00 and that alone probably has a lot to do with it.  I played a number of tracks over the past 24-hours.  ALAC files via iPhone and iPad devices.  Tonight will attempt to play through my Astell & Kern device and MacBook via Audirivana and Herus+ DAC.

Again, it has to be taken into context.  They were made to be portable.  They cost the same amount as a home based headphone- but these were clearly made to be traveled and enjoyed outside of the home.  In terms of similar or competing headphone designs-  I liked the B&W P7 in terms of playback more; and the Sennheiser Momentums O/E more.   These remind me a lot of the Aedle Vk-1.  Killer appearance and just "so-so" playback.

If you're seen wearing these- it says you've got a lot of money or appreciate nice things.  They're great with flawed recordings believe it or not.  Poor quality pop or rap tracks that tend to be bright sounding or compressed.  These headphones are warm and a tad congested- therefore they compensate for 90% of radio-based airplay.  I am not sure if a better DAC or time is required to break them in more- but time will tell.

This sounds like I am hating on these headphones- but different ears and styles of music will vary... and SF need not worry.  They've created a successful piece of kit.  More to follow.

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #73 of 181
After 10 hours... They're breaking in nicely. Congestion has given way to warmth and a gentle high frequency section that avoids fatigue. Superb packaging; build quality; and very nice warm/tubeness to the sonics. Falling under the World of McIntosh (WOM) moniker... Expect nice sonics at an expense.

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #74 of 181

Indeed. They are musical and for music......perhaps not everyone's particular criteria for a good headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back