Sonus faber PRYMA - An Italian-Made Beauty
Aug 17, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #181 of 181
New Pryma owner here. I've been intrigued by these cans since they came out, especially since they have the Sonus Faber brand backing it, but could never get myself to part with 500 euro's for an 'experiment' since there were hardly any trustworthy reviews available.

This week, I came by these and got a very sweet deal which I couldn't pass up. My curiosity would hate me forever haha!

I've had about 2 hrs of time with them, but I am very happy. The design is strikingly beautiful, and the materials are top notch. The way the cups attach to the headband can sometimes make them feel 'cheap', because the cups move about a bit when not on your head.

As for the sound; they're not the last word in transparency, or detail. Please bear in mind that I'm not very skilled at writing down my aural experiences, but they remind me a lot of my (beloved) B&W P7W: very fun, very engaging. Soundstage is not impressive, and the clarity and instrument separation could certainly be better but they get the job done. For reference: I own an iSine 10 (like x-raying into your music), and have DT770 and D2000's (big soundstage and clarity imho) but these will be very good for office use or on the go. I've returned a set of B&W PX's last week and like these better.

One thing I must add: from the iPhone X they sound okay, but they do really react well to amping (using an iDSD micro BL)!

All in all: very nice headphones, fun and engaging but by no means very high-end. But they easily beat the likes of 1000XM3, QC35/700, and on par with B&W and B&O offerings to my ears. Not worth the 500 asking price on sound alone, but anything below 300 and you'll have a nice sounding unique pair of cans. And it is the 'uniqueness' which adds the most value to me; I love the fact that I'm not another one wearing a Sony, B&O, Bose or the likes yet still be in audio nirvana.

*PS: all cans mentioned above I either owned, still own, or listened to extensively.

Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back