Sonus faber PRYMA - An Italian-Made Beauty
Oct 24, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #152 of 181
Just received my Notte Carbon Pryma. I connected It to my iPhone SE and played lossy files and it sounded nice, but nothing too special. I then connected it to my Pono, and wow, much better sound.

I’m going to put 100 hours or so on it and then use my AK240SS with 24/192 files.

Beautifully made, as I would expect from a Sonus Faber product. I’ve owned three different pair including the original Amati, the most beautiful speakers I’ve ever owned.

Oct 24, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #153 of 181
Oct 25, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #156 of 181
Even with only a few hours on mine, I love the sound ... very happy with my purchase. With that said, they are the least comfortable headphone in my collection.

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #157 of 181
Even with only a few hours on mine, I love the sound ... very happy with my purchase. With that said, they are the least comfortable headphone in my collection.
They do get more comfortable with use.

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #159 of 181
And the headband can be self-shaped so the pads fit in an optimal manner.

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #160 of 181
And the headband can be self-shaped so the pads fit in an optimal manner.

Yes, I have a 7¾ hat size, so I had to widen out the headband from its death grip. :head_bandage:

Oct 25, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #162 of 181
If you like a rich, cohesive musical sound with no treble screech, these should work well. NightOwl and M&D have a similar flavor, but to my ears the Pryma has a bit more presence and seamless across the FR.

Oct 25, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #163 of 181
How would you describe the sound of these? Are nightowls any better? Or offerings from Master & Dynamics?

I need a new portable headphone under $500 preferred

I just want to point out that Amazon is selling the Prymas, in several styles, for $250-$300. If interested, make sure you check closely since they are also listing them at full retail, the discounted price comes from a dealer, Listen Up.

Oct 25, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #164 of 181
I really like the bass performance so far, very impressive for their driver size. Upper frequencies are very smooth even though I only have 20 or so hours of continuous play on the Pryma.

My instinct about these headphones is too many discount them feeling their aesthetics is the focus of the design, not necessarily their audio performance. Even Tyll at Inner Fidelity made such a comment on his blog. I don’t agree.

The tight fit has loosened up a bit, so I retract my earlier statement about their uncomfortableness.

Oct 28, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #165 of 181
75 hours and counting ...

I’m really loving the sound of my new Prymas. They are opening up with playtime and the soundstage is impressive considering these are a closed back design. The bass performance is really good. Still a bit of grain in the upper frequencies, but I get the feeling they just need more play time to fully settle in.

I’m going to do a review on these since I want to share my enthusiasm ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back