Sonus faber PRYMA - An Italian-Made Beauty
Nov 21, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #138 of 181
So how do these stack up to the Nighthawks or M-100s?

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #140 of 181
Hd650. I like pryma, but comparing to HD650 it is not that great. But keep in mind they serve very different purposes...

I don't understand this comment.  They are both for listening to music, no?  I too am interested to know how they compare to higher end Sennheisers.  I have HD600s, which I enjoy very much, as well as HD598s.  Had a pair of Grado SR-225i, which were fatiguing, and Audeze LCD-2, which sounded excellent but too heavy.  I love the sound of SF speakers (had Cremona Auditors and Auditor M) and am very interested in these cans if they are in the same league sonically as HD600s.

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #141 of 181

I don't understand this comment.  They are both for listening to music, no?  I too am interested to know how they compare to higher end Sennheisers.  I have HD600s, which I enjoy very much, as well as HD598s.  Had a pair of Grado SR-225i, which were fatiguing, and Audeze LCD-2, which sounded excellent but too heavy.  I love the sound of SF speakers (had Cremona Auditors and Auditor M) and am very interested in these cans if they are in the same league sonically as HD600s.

Let's make it short. No they are not. Not anywhere near. They are more of a fashion headphone with Sonus Faberish sound. I do also like Sonus Faber sound and use Sonus Fabers towers. Prymas do remind me of Sonus Faber speakers. They are good for listening on the go. But they are not in the HD600 league. Even comparing to B&W P7 they are not as good. but personally I do not enjoy B&Ws that much and prefer Prymas... They are comfortable. Very high quality build. Sound Sonus Faberish... $500? There are better headphones for the money... You like SF and can afford them? Why not... I will never take HD600 outside. Prymas absolutely.   

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #142 of 181

Let's make it short. No they are not. Not anywhere near. They are more of a fashion headphone with Sonus Faberish sound. I do also like Sonus Faber sound and use Sonus Fabers towers. Prymas do remind me of Sonus Faber speakers. They are good for listening on the go. But they are not in the HD600 league. Even comparing to B&W P7 they are not as good. but personally I do not enjoy B&Ws that much and prefer Prymas... They are comfortable. Very high quality build. Sound Sonus Faberish... $500? There are better headphones for the money... You like SF and can afford them? Why not... I will never take HD600 outside. Prymas absolutely.   

Thank you for this; I will move on then.  It's disappointing to say the least.  If I'm going to use headphones outside with compromised sound quality then I expect to pay a compromised price.  Looking pretty and feeling solid is all good and well, but I am much more about function over form.

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #143 of 181
There is now a special edition of the Pryma that's made exclusively for Canali and it is only available from Canali's webite.

http://www.canali.com/en_us/limited-edition-pryma-for-canali-headphones-online-exclusive-apf00000002.html

Surprisingly, Canali isn't charging a premium for it.  And it looks really nice.

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #144 of 181
Did somebody say V-Moda?  
ph34r.gif

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #146 of 181

I had a chance to have a closer look and a brief listen in our local Saturn store, in Vienna. First of all, as a former owner of two pairs of Sonus Faber speakers, I always liked the sound quality, and the design of the products from the company. But... I have to say, these are one of the ugliest, kitschy looking headphones I´ve ever seen. (I found the gold-dark brown model in the store). I had to laugh, literally, when i first saw them. Who would wear these? Second of all, they are heavy, bulky, most likely uncomfortable for portable use, and the isolation could be better too. The sound was good, (although they could be more sensitive), and the price too (499 euros), but i would never pay for these cans. Never. There are so many wonderfully designed exclusive headphones on the market, the designers should have had a look arould first, and then come up with something. They use a lot of wood for their speakers as the main design element, I really missed that here. Like the AudioQuest Nighthawk, for example. Maybe the carbon model looks better than these, but i have to say, apart from the sound quality, this is a poor attempt from the italians. A really poor attempt.

Sep 30, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #147 of 181
Got these today, first impressions are that the layering and generally the resolution seems very good. They never sound confused, soundstage itself is not large but the image itself nicely distinguished. My only gripe is that upper female vocals could benefit of a little more "zing" on some artists. Can be achieved by reducing 500hz slightly. and just would need a touch more air above 10khz for my liking. Bass has plently of kick and texture for me, remains tight too. (these are kinda bass heavy though).

Samsungs Adapt Sound Preset 1 for 30 yr. olds on the Galaxy series of phones is like the perfect EQ for these since it slightly lifts the treble. (at least for me).

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #148 of 181
I got the coffee and cream so that it won't show fingerprints and smudges and i love that tan color of leather i always buy shoes in that color. they sound wonderful. they went into my signature and they are not coming off :)

they come with crap cables. low quality and microphonic

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #149 of 181
they have a rolled off high freq response and slightly pronounced but tastefully done bass response that does not bleed into mid range aT ALL (ACTUALLY IT IS JUST PERFECT) they are actually like a beautiful and very nice sounding closed nack version of Senn HD599 or HD650 which makes them a wise choice in my opinion. case in point how unintrusive (is that a word?) and smooth they sound with Sabaj DA-3. they got a lot of flack for being fashion cans but at half the price they are perfect all Sennheiser replacements for all kinds of music. they are the perfect sampler for sonus faber sound. One of my best buys i'm keeping them.

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #150 of 181
Amazon has the Carbon Notte at $249. I’ve owned several Sonus faber speakers and was intrigued when these first came out. For this price, I bought a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back