Sonus faber PRYMA - An Italian-Made Beauty
May 5, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #121 of 181
  My advice as someone who's been there... If you love the sound of a headphone and you search for replacements, they're always inferior in ways, and you'll likely spend $200 on 3 different pairs of headphones each until you realize you could've just gotten the Pryma instead :p Never heard these but they must sound nice to beat out the P7 in anyone's opinion. Also the only decent headphone I know of below $200 that's any good is the M50x. I think over-ear portables are a tough market, hard to get good performance under $400, YMMV. I just got Audio Technica MSR7 for $230 and like them, but that's definitely not the sound signature of the Pryma. Good luck

I had higher line B&Ws as my main speakers for over a decade. Was in love with their sound years ago, but last few years they bothered me. (Maybe due to a different placement? B&W high end sound is great if you spend money!) Just got rid of them not to long ago and replaced them with Sonus Fabers which I love.  Maybe I am a bit biased to B&W at this point, but I purchased B&W P7 expecting great things and they are so inferior to PRYMAs that I am simply flabbergasted. 

PRYMA is so much better than Beats Solo 2 that I had. Day and night. B&W fall right in between. Much better than Beats, but not near PRYMAs. I just can't get to enjoy them and that somehow remind me of my B&W speakers... 

Thank you for you advise. Will consider getting them as I know I will be wanting them no matter what else I get. I was just hoping there is something there that I could live with for now... As I know now how bad Beats sound comparing to how good it could be.

May 6, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #122 of 181

I agree with you. No headphone can match a good pair of loudspeakers in a good listening area.

Glad I am not the only one :), I thought headphones were far superior than the loud speakers, then I auditioned SVS Ultras, Martin Logan, PSB T2/T3, completely changed my mine. Addition to dual sealed 1500 watts subwoofers was just no contest for any headphones out there not even TH900.

Just be careful, going into speakers territory will empty your bank account faster  :frowning2:

May 6, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #123 of 181
I think the headphone scene is good because it lets you figure what you like and don't, what you're willing to sacrifice to get sound you like (in terms of no audio speaker or headphone being perfect), lower cost, more deviation from flat response. One day I'm gonna get a sweet set of loudspeakers, but until then headphones will satisfy me, and I can collect them more simply than speakers.

PS I heard a pair of Salk speakers at an audio show and wow, that sound was incredible to me, I can't wait to hear some more stuff at upcoming shows.

May 10, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #125 of 181
If you see the Sonus Faber line of speakers, they do look really good. Just think the headphones looks a little too fashionable and feminine design for outside use. Don't quote me on it, just saw pictures on the web though. Never had one in my hands.

May 14, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #128 of 181
I just found out about this headphone now. My (still) go to portable headphone is the Ultrasone Ed8. I recently tried the Ether C, which was brand new and not burned in yet (not debating whether it exists or not...). 

How would the PRYMA compare to these two headphones for portable use? I would use them on my BlackBerry Priv with the dac and amp of the HeadStage Arrow 5TX. If you can comment on things like isolation both ways, soundstage, tightness of the bass, treble (I find I am a bit of a treblehead, or it may be my advanced age, lol). It 'looks' like it would be very much like the Ed8.

Thanks.

May 29, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #129 of 181
I had the Ed 8 a couple years ago, so my memory may be relatively fuzzy on its sound. But as I recall, it is less U shaped in sound and less warm in general than the Pryma. While I didn't find the Pryma as dark as some describe it, the mids did sound a little less forward than with some headphones, depending on the recording. I think the Ed 8 may have better separation, but I generally preferred the sound of the Prymas, which were a pleasant surprise in the sound quality department. I can enjoy a warm sound though so, as with all cans, another's mileage may vary.

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #131 of 181
Two new and more understated finish options have been added to the PRYMA line-up.

Notte and Notte Carbon.

These two finishes should appeal to the person who likes the design & sound of the 01 but maybe thought the other finishes were just a little too flashy for them (like me). 
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back