Sonus faber PRYMA - An Italian-Made Beauty
Apr 23, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #106 of 181

I totally get what you mean, assuming budget is not a concern, for semi open or closed back, what is an upgrade from momentum -  I love the midrange - but it sounds congested it and is so damm uncomfortable. Thanks :D

Hah - you've already got that - the DT1770 
tongue.gif

I would just use that for all genres.

But now that I think about it, the Audeze EL-8 open-back might be an option... I didn't check actually how open or leaky it was. 
I can go back next week and check it out if you like. I want to give the EAH-T700 another listen anyhow, so I don't mind going back to the shop 
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #107 of 181
  Hah - you've already got that - the DT1770 
tongue.gif

I would just use that for all genres.

But now that I think about it, the Audeze EL-8 open-back might be an option... I didn't check actually how open or leaky it was. 
I can go back next week and check it out if you like. I want to give the EAH-T700 another listen anyhow, so I don't mind going back to the shop 
biggrin.gif

Err, I ask for suggestions for semi open or closed - you recommend EL-8 open :0

As you mentioned, the DT 1770 has that recessed mid range - looking for a headphone that really excels in vocals and also comfortable

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #108 of 181
  Perhaps in stead of trying to invalidate opinions that differ from yours, try to engage in a dialogue instead of asking presumptuous loaded questions.
So wait... you're allowed to give your opinions, but if I give mine it's thread-crapping?
Have some respect for other peoples opinions and stop acting like a self proclaimed authority around here.... just a suggestion.

beating-head-against-the-wall.gif

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #109 of 181

Does the Pryma sound like Momentum 1.0, but more comfortable and transparent. (Do they have the sweet mids of Momentum and the slightly fat bass, but less congested - perfect for female vocals in r&b and pop,)

I seemed to like the headphones that Dalethorn review- Nighthawk, DT 1770.

Mids are right up front, with a seamless character to the junction at the treble. Voices sound full and real on the Pryma. Bass is right there as well, but with a tight, powerful (non-boomy) quality, like you would hear and feel from live music near the front of the venue. The 1770 is quite the reverse, more middle to rear...."weaker" sounding. The solid metal construction of the Pryma means you can crank them up without losing the fine character due to resonance.

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #110 of 181

Mids are right up front, with a seamless character to the junction at the treble. Voices sound full and real on the Pryma. Bass is right there as well, but with a tight, powerful (non-boomy) quality, like you would hear and feel from live music near the front of the venue. The 1770 is quite the reverse, more middle to rear...."weaker" sounding. The solid metal construction of the Pryma means you can crank them up without losing the fine character due to resonance.

Thanks, time for an audition then :D

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #111 of 181

Do you think they would be good with EDM?..

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #112 of 181

Yes. I was listening to Flight Facilities and Public Service Broadcasting and found it very invigorating.

May 2, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #114 of 181

Still have it. The M500 has the natural tonal balance as well, but the Pryma has that sense of robustness/power.....a fuller sound. The M500 sounds rather lightweight in contrast. It's a matter of taste and preference. Think of them as two good but different tasting wines.

May 4, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #116 of 181
This is great ! Sonus Faber makes one of best Tower Speakers, just pure organic sounding loud speakers, I have not heard their flagship but Olympica series.
No headphones can come closer to their sound signature (Sorry guys, I moved onto speakers, hp are really no match).

Hope this headphone follows the same organic sweet sound.

May 4, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #117 of 181

I agree with you. No headphone can match a good pair of loudspeakers in a good listening area.

May 5, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #118 of 181
I am very much in love with PRYMA sound, but I can't spend that much on the headphones at this point. Are there any less expensive alternatives with a similar sound signature? Or maybe even a 'better' sound signature for less money? Tried B&W P7 and found PRYMA by far more superior in sound to my ear... Anything under $200 would be great.

May 5, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #119 of 181
  I am very much in love with PRYMA sound, but I can't spend that much on the headphones at this point. Are there any less expensive alternatives with a similar sound signature? Or maybe even a 'better' sound signature for less money? Tried B&W P7 and found PRYMA by far more superior in sound to my ear... Anything under $200 would be great.

My advice as someone who's been there... If you love the sound of a headphone and you search for replacements, they're always inferior in ways, and you'll likely spend $200 on 3 different pairs of headphones each until you realize you could've just gotten the Pryma instead :p Never heard these but they must sound nice to beat out the P7 in anyone's opinion. Also the only decent headphone I know of below $200 that's any good is the M50x. I think over-ear portables are a tough market, hard to get good performance under $400, YMMV. I just got Audio Technica MSR7 for $230 and like them, but that's definitely not the sound signature of the Pryma. Good luck

May 5, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #120 of 181
  My advice as someone who's been there... If you love the sound of a headphone and you search for replacements, they're always inferior in ways, and you'll likely spend $200 on 3 different pairs of headphones each until you realize you could've just gotten the Pryma instead :p

Sound advice..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back