Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Apr 12, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,096 of 1,216
  What do you think would be an upgrade to the mS, mike? Anything under $400?

Has to have:

- its own power supply
- USB async
- stereo RCA would be good

admittedly - IF YOU CAN GETB ONE 
wink.gif
:
The GEEK OUT 1000 - BUT be SURE they updated the firmware -
as they fixed the gain reset issue I raised in my original review at Part-Time Audiophile..

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,098 of 1,216
  Is there anything more like a desktop unit and not a dongle (it doesn't have to power headphones). I use the line-out on the mS. I thought having its own power supply would be an obvious upgrade.

Caiman Mk2 with battery power.

GO1000 too analytical/hot...digital volume = not bit perfect below max volume IMO.

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #1,100 of 1,216
Hi guys, I was recommended to get the HRT Microstreamer as an alternative to the Modi.

I was looking for a DAC with more of a 'front row' sound than the Schiit Modi 1 and with better soundstage imaging & detail retrieval. I am comparing either the Microstreamer or the Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, if not the Modi 2.

But after checking HRT's website I noticed they have an even newer DAC called HRT Music Streamer III. This DAC has RCA outputs and is newer; of which I assume would make it even better than the Microstreamer and perhaps a better method of connecting to a full size amp. I don't need this to be portable and need only the DAC and will probably connect it to a tube amp.

So if anybody has heard both the Microstreamer and Music Streamer III, your impressions / comparisons on the sound would be much appreciated! They both cost the same and (I assume) use a similar chip, yet the Music Streamer III seems to be more geared for a home-setup and is newer (although I read a review on Amazon with a problem about the bass). 

Also if anybody can compare either of these to the Peachtree Audio DAC-iT (not the "X" version) that would be totally helpful! 
PS - @mikemercer didn't I see you there at CanJam last month?

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,102 of 1,216
  By own power supply, I mean something like the Bifrost. Anything beats USB hub powered, right? :O

Yep. I have a separate data + power leg for mStreamer and once I hook up correct USB plug this week to MS input,it should help vs running off dirty Air USB port...glad I jumped on board the MS portable DAC train (old DAC/Amp in photo).....combined with Cayin C5 this is one underdog power punch combo !

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #1,104 of 1,216
  Hi guys, I was recommended to get the HRT Microstreamer as an alternative to the Modi.

I was looking for a DAC with more of a 'front row' sound than the Schiit Modi 1 and with better soundstage imaging & detail retrieval. I am comparing either the Microstreamer or the Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, if not the Modi 2.

But after checking HRT's website I noticed they have an even newer DAC called HRT Music Streamer III. This DAC has RCA outputs and is newer; of which I assume would make it even better than the Microstreamer and perhaps a better method of connecting to a full size amp. I don't need this to be portable and need only the DAC and will probably connect it to a tube amp.

So if anybody has heard both the Microstreamer and Music Streamer III, your impressions / comparisons on the sound would be much appreciated! They both cost the same and (I assume) use a similar chip, yet the Music Streamer III seems to be more geared for a home-setup and is newer (although I read a review on Amazon with a problem about the bass). 

Also if anybody can compare either of these to the Peachtree Audio DAC-iT (not the "X" version) that would be totally helpful! 
PS - @mikemercer didn't I see you there at CanJam last month?

HEY!!
YES you did!!

SO sorry for the delay guys - family crisis..

Tryin' to catch up!!

May 15, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #1,106 of 1,216
I'm looking for an amp/dac that I can use with my MacBook Pro and my Android phone (Droid Maxx). A couple of questions...

Does anyone know if the HRT Microstreamer works with the Droid Maxx?

Has anyone compared the HRT Microstreamer to the Oppo HA-2? I know the Oppo costs more. I would love to hear the HRT is comparable (and save the money)

Thanks

May 15, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #1,107 of 1,216
  I'm looking for an amp/dac that I can use with my MacBook Pro and my Android phone (Droid Maxx). A couple of questions...

Does anyone know if the HRT Microstreamer works with the Droid Maxx?

Has anyone compared the HRT Microstreamer to the Oppo HA-2? I know the Oppo costs more. I would love to hear the HRT is comparable (and save the money)

Thanks

Hey, here's a quote from the manual:

Other host platforms
The microStreamer can be used with other host platforms including Chromebooks running ChromeOS, smartphones such as the Apple iPhone family (iPhone 4S and later), some smartphonesrunning Android OS (these may require a third party media player), certain network attached storage devices (NAS), and other hosts running Linux operating systems. The specific requirements are that the host have a compliant USB controller that supports host mode, a USB host stack that includes support for a USB Audio Class 1.0 device and a media player that can access USB devices. 

The manual can be found here: http://www.highresolutiontechnologies.com/support/support.html.

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #1,110 of 1,216
  Great. I should be good then. Thanks!

How'd that go????

Man, the microStreamer still has a solid place in my personal audio travel arsenal!!

It still makes for a KILLER 96/24-bit USB DAC (love its dedicated 2.25v line output  - as opposed to adjusting the gain on an output-stage and guessing where the sweet spot is),
and - while I KNOW this is over-the-top: I laced it w/ my Nordost Heimdall2 iKable (3.5mm-to-RCA) and it was perfect for bridging my girl Mina's MacBook Pro to her powered Alesis monitors when I was in Brooklyn!! She's the last person I have in Brooklyn near the neighborhood where I was a kid...

AND - while I brought the Audeze DECKARD w/ me and the new RAL optical Amp/DAC (geezus -  I no longer merely carry the geek card - I'm a full-blown member and Proud of it) - the microStreamer drove all these cans I had w/ me - including my Audeze EL-8 open-backs! 
BRAVO as always

Users who are viewing this thread

Back